ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Cuts

A few reminders:

NFL rosters are 53 with another 16 on the practice squad (17 if one is an international player). Players must be cut and go through waivers before they can be signed to the practice squad. Note, veterans who are cut become free agents and are not subject to the waiver process. Practice squad players can be called up 3 times during the season. If called up a 4th time they have to be added to the 53.

Salary on the practice squad is $12,500 a week…over an 18 week season that’s 225,000. Veterans (3+ seasons) can negotiate more - up to 21,300 a week or 383,400. Players on the 53 making the rookie minimum make about $45,000 a week (795,000) by contrast.

A few reminders:

NFL rosters are 53 with another 16 on the practice squad (17 if one is an international player). Players must be cut and go through waivers before they can be signed to the practice squad. Note, veterans who are cut become free agents and are not subject to the waiver process. Practice squad players can be called up 3 times during the season. If called up a 4th time they have to be added to the 53.

Salary on the practice squad is $12,500 a week…over an 18 week season that’s 225,000. Veterans (3+ seasons) can negotiate more - up to 21,300 a week or 383,400. Players on the 53 making the rookie minimum make about $45,000 a week (795,000) by contrast.
$12k a week to practice. What a dream job

A few reminders:

Thanks providing clarity. Very interesting.

Reactions: huskerfan66
Top 10% salary in the US. I wouldn't complain. Few years would set you up pretty nice if you have a plan for life after football.
Top 10%? How about Top 1%?

As of July 2024, the average weekly earnings in the United States were $1,199.39, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). This is a 3.33% increase from the previous year, but a 0.06% decrease from the previous month. In the second quarter of 2024, the median weekly earnings for full-time wage and salary workers were $1,143, which is 3.9% higher than the previous year. However, median weekly earnings for women were $1,017, which is 81.2% of the median for men.

The average annual average salary in the U.S. is $63,795. The median annual salary, which is often less skewed by outlying numbers, is $59,384.

As of July 2024, the average weekly earnings in the United States were $1,199.39, according to the Bureau of Labor Statistics (BLS). This is a 3.33% increase from the previous year, but a 0.06% decrease from the previous month. In the second quarter of 2024, the median weekly earnings for full-time wage and salary workers were $1,143, which is 3.9% higher than the previous year. However, median weekly earnings for women were $1,017, which is 81.2% of the median for men.

The average annual average salary in the U.S. is $63,795. The median annual salary, which is often less skewed by outlying numbers, is $59,384.
Suffice it to say, it's way better money than the entry level job most guys would get out of college where they're lucky to make 40-50. Wages are up but that increase has been dwarfed by inflation's increases.

Suffice it to say, it's way better money than the entry level job most guys would get out of college where they're lucky to make 40-50. Wages are up but that increase has been dwarfed by inflation's increases.
Truth. But it could be worse seeing that the US has one of the lower inflation numbers in the industrialized world at 3.3%. China is sitting at .02 but not sure how a communist country comes to those numbers. Could be Russia. Sitting at 9% yikes!

Have no idea what wages look like in china but Im guessing not as good as in the US.

The same Bureau of Labor Statistics, that recently revised down Joe and Kamila's inflated jobs numbers from April 23 - March 24 by nearly a million jobs.

Did you know that 64.8% of statistics are made up?

• Love
Reactions: dinglefritz
Truth. But it could be worse seeing that the US has one of the lower inflation numbers in the industrialized world at 3.3%. China is sitting at .02 but not sure how a communist country comes to those numbers. Could be Russia. Sitting at 9% yikes!

Have no idea what wages look like in china but Im guessing not as good as in the US.
If our government was even remotely honest, which is not, it would include the food and energy sectors in core inflation numbers. I’ve been told those are a significant parts of the average Americans budget.

The same Bureau of Labor Statistics, that recently revised down Joe and Kamila's inflated jobs numbers from April 23 - March 24 by nearly a million jobs.

Yes, 100% of the time

Only when they don't fit your agenda right? That whole fake news thing. lol

So you disagree with these numbers? I think its pretty common for revisions to take place

The unemployment rate rose by 0.2 percentage point to 4.3 percent in July, and the number of unemployed people increased by 352,000 to 7.2 million. These measures are higher than a year earlier,when the jobless rate was 3.5 percent, and the number of unemployed people was 5.9 million. (See tableA-1.)Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rates for adult men (4.0 percent) and Whites (3.8percent) increased in July. The jobless rates for adult women (3.8 percent), teenagers (12.4 percent),Blacks (6.3 percent), Asians (3.7 percent), and Hispanics (5.3 percent) showed little or no change overthe month. (See tables A-1, A-2, and A-3.)Among the unemployed, the number of people on temporary layoff increased by 249,000 to 1.1 millionin July. The number of permanent job losers changed little at 1.7 million. (See table A-11.)The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or more) changed little at 1.5million in July. This measure is up from 1.2 million a year earlier. The long-term unemployed accountedfor 21.6 percent of all unemployed people in July. (See table A-12.)The labor force participation rate, at 62.7 percent, changed little in July and was little changed overthe year. The employment-population ratio was little changed at 60.0 percent in July but is down by0.4 percentage point over the year. (See table A-1.)The number of people employed part time for economic reasons rose by 346,000 to 4.6 million i(BLS)

If our government was even remotely honest, which is not, it would include the food and energy sectors in core inflation numbers. I’ve been told those are a significant parts of the average Americans budget.
The rationale for not including those numbers is that they are too volatile to use for statistical purposes. But I agree that for the common citizen they certainly play a factor. Just like they do across the world. I believe all industrialized nations use a similar core inflation formula. So when looking across the board it is apples to apples in that sense.

Does core CPI include food and energy?

Notes: The "Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers: All Items Less Food & Energy" is an aggregate of prices paid by urban consumers for a typical basket of goods, excluding food and energy. This measurement, known as "Core CPI," is widely used by economists because food and energy have very volatile prices.

The inflation rate has cooled dramatically in the US now but the inflation caused previously by the spending is what has killed workers and people with fixed incomes. The biggest issue I've seen for my fixed income older sister is housing costs which have been dramatically inflated by demand from the illegal influx of immigrants. Entry level housing is virtually non-existent or priced so high most can't afford it. I just rented a house to a critical care nurse and her husband. They couldn't believe I would rent it to them for what I did because all the other places they looked at were dumps and were more money. She's a fairly recent grad and they can't swing buying a place at current prices. I think it was Yale that just published a study that estimated the number of illegal entries at over 30 million people. They're living somewhere and they're displacing US citizens.

Only when they don't fit your agenda right? That whole fake news thing. lol

So you disagree with these numbers? I think its pretty common for revisions to take place

The unemployment rate rose by 0.2 percentage point to 4.3 percent in July, and the number of unemployed people increased by 352,000 to 7.2 million. These measures are higher than a year earlier,when the jobless rate was 3.5 percent, and the number of unemployed people was 5.9 million. (See tableA-1.)Among the major worker groups, the unemployment rates for adult men (4.0 percent) and Whites (3.8percent) increased in July. The jobless rates for adult women (3.8 percent), teenagers (12.4 percent),Blacks (6.3 percent), Asians (3.7 percent), and Hispanics (5.3 percent) showed little or no change overthe month. (See tables A-1, A-2, and A-3.)Among the unemployed, the number of people on temporary layoff increased by 249,000 to 1.1 millionin July. The number of permanent job losers changed little at 1.7 million. (See table A-11.)The number of long-term unemployed (those jobless for 27 weeks or more) changed little at 1.5million in July. This measure is up from 1.2 million a year earlier. The long-term unemployed accountedfor 21.6 percent of all unemployed people in July. (See table A-12.)The labor force participation rate, at 62.7 percent, changed little in July and was little changed overthe year. The employment-population ratio was little changed at 60.0 percent in July but is down by0.4 percentage point over the year. (See table A-1.)The number of people employed part time for economic reasons rose by 346,000 to 4.6 million i(BLS)
Copy and paste much?

They've artificially lowered gas prices by completely emptying our strategic oil reserves. In the meantime China has the largest amount of oil reserves they've ever had and they're spending billions on their military. They're preparing for war and we're castrating our military by giving away equipment and implementing DEI measures.

Damn. It's hard to talk about an entry level NFL salary without devolving in to a discussion of economics and policy.

The rationale for not including those numbers is that they are too volatile to use for statistical purposes. But I agree that for the common citizen they certainly play a factor. Just like they do across the world. I believe all industrialized nations use a similar core inflation formula. So when looking across the board it is apples to apples in that sense.

Does core CPI include food and energy?

Notes: The "Consumer Price Index for All Urban Consumers: All Items Less Food & Energy" is an aggregate of prices paid by urban consumers for a typical basket of goods, excluding food and energy. This measurement, known as "Core CPI," is widely used by economists because food and energy have very volatile prices.
It’s convenient is what it is.

The inflation rate has cooled dramatically in the US now but the inflation caused previously by the spending is what has killed workers and people with fixed incomes. The biggest issue I've seen for my fixed income older sister is housing costs which have been dramatically inflated by demand from the illegal influx of immigrants. Entry level housing is virtually non-existent or priced so high most can't afford it. I just rented a house to a critical care nurse and her husband. They couldn't believe I would rent it to them for what I did because all the other places they looked at were dumps and were more money. She's a fairly recent grad and they can't swing buying a place at current prices. I think it was Yale that just published a study that estimated the number of illegal entries at over 30 million people. They're living somewhere and they're displacing US citizens.
Interesting take. While I don't disagree that an influx of illegals has drawn from the pool of eligible housing... I think that's a little to simplified. I think corporate purchasing of homes and rental properties have also added to the weakend supply thus raising rent as well as overall housing pricing. The fact that most people in their 20's are avoiding or cant afford home purchases also adds to this dilemma.

According to ai

Rent prices have been rising due to a number of factors, including:

• High demand
    Millennials and Gen Z adults are looking for their own spaces, and young adults are coming of age and looking for more independence. Homeowners are also holding onto their properties, and there's a shortage of new construction.

• Low supply
    There aren't enough rental units to meet demand, and people are competing for a relatively small number of rentals.

• Landlord overcompensation
    During the pandemic, landlords couldn't evict tenants due to eviction moratoriums, so when restrictions lifted, they raised rents to make up for lost time and money.

• Seasonality
    The seasonality of rent is returning after two years of disruption during the pandemic.

As of March 2024, the median U.S. rent was $1,987, up 0.8% from the previous year. Rent outpacing wage growth means that many Americans are spending a larger portion of their paycheck on shelter, which can impact other necessities.

Copy and paste much?
I do when one needs to see the facts. If I simply say something without backing up where I got the information one will simply cry fake news. I always try to back up my statements with where I got the information. You can agree or disagree from there.

Interesting take. While I don't disagree that an influx of illegals has drawn from the pool of eligible housing... I think that's a little to simplified. I think corporate purchasing of homes and rental properties have also added to the weakend supply thus raising rent as well as overall housing pricing. The fact that most people in their 20's are avoiding or cant afford home purchases also adds to this dilemma.

According to ai

Rent prices have been rising due to a number of factors, including:

• High demand
    Millennials and Gen Z adults are looking for their own spaces, and young adults are coming of age and looking for more independence. Homeowners are also holding onto their properties, and there's a shortage of new construction.

• Low supply
    There aren't enough rental units to meet demand, and people are competing for a relatively small number of rentals.

• Landlord overcompensation
    During the pandemic, landlords couldn't evict tenants due to eviction moratoriums, so when restrictions lifted, they raised rents to make up for lost time and money.

• Seasonality
    The seasonality of rent is returning after two years of disruption during the pandemic.
As of March 2024, the median U.S. rent was $1,987, up 0.8% from the previous year. Rent outpacing wage growth means that many Americans are spending a larger portion of their paycheck on shelter, which can impact other necessities.
Millenials and Gen Z are still living with their folks. The birth rate of our younger generations isn't replacing the deaths of our elderly. The increased demand is almost exclusively driven right now by immigrants.

Millenials and Gen Z are still living with their folks. The birth rate of our younger generations isn't replacing the deaths of our elderly. The increased demand is almost exclusively driven right now by immigrants.
Its an interesting take. I tried to look for factual articles that support your point. I really couldn't find any.

GO BIG RED

They've artificially lowered gas prices by completely emptying our strategic oil reserves. In the meantime China has the largest amount of oil reserves they've ever had and they're spending billions on their military. They're preparing for war and we're castrating our military by giving away equipment and implementing DEI measures.

Damn. It's hard to talk about an entry level NFL salary without devolving in to a discussion of economics and policy.
The strategic reserve was drained nearly 2 years ago and is actually going incrementally back up. That has no bearing on gas today.

Young people think they are broke because they are used to having expensive phones and huge cellphone bills, mocha frappes, etc. They also think they can wait for 2.5% interest rates to come around. On top of all that they don't want to live in a little 2 bedroom while they build equity.

Illegals might be driving housing shortages in some areas, or even alot of areas, but I know they aren't where I live. Politicians kept interest rates down for way too long and gave people a false sense of normal. Now people refuse to give up that hope, IMO.

yeah we're taking this thread down a bumpy road. We need to get back on topic and leave the other stuff alone. TRAINING CAMP MONEY AND PRACTICE SQUAD MONEY IS GOOD PAY FOR A RECENT COLLEGE GRAD :D
People just can’t help themselves. It just takes one OP to turn a thread into a whole new topic.

Young people think they are broke because they are used to having expensive phones and huge cellphone bills, mocha frappes, etc. They also think they can wait for 2.5% interest rates to come around. On top of all that they don't want to live in a little 2 bedroom while they build equity.

Illegals might be driving housing shortages in some areas, or even alot of areas, but I know they aren't where I live. Politicians kept interest rates down for way too long and gave people a false sense of normal. Now people refuse to give up that hope, IMO.
There is no doubt a level of spending on non-essential items by younger generations that affects their ability to afford housing. That said, my sister's rent has increased roughly 50% over the past 4 years. IF you go up to Yankton SD and walk in to Walmart in the evening and you speak English you will be in the minority. A town in SD of 15K people. Those people are living somewhere. Norfolk is the same way. Yale says over 30 million people have come in over the past 3 years. That's a TEN PERCENT increase in the number of housing units needed when we were already short of entry level housing.

Returning to the original purpose…

Omar Brown cut by Denver
Samori Toure cut by Green Bay
Jojo Domann by the Titans
And as mentioned earlier before this turned into a meeting of the Council of Economic Advisors…Jack Stoll cut by the Giants

• Haha
What's the deal with Stoll? He seemed to be a pretty consistent role player for the Eagles. I have to imagine he could catch on somewhere as a #2 TE.
He might be in the situation where they don't think anybody will nab him and they can sign him to the practice squad for the time being. He's not an elite player so they're probably hoping they can stash him until they need him. Didn't they have a starting TE miss a lot of time last year?

Returning to the original purpose…

Omar Brown cut by Denver
Samori Toure cut by Green Bay
Jojo Domann by the Titans
And as mentioned earlier before this turned into a meeting of the Council of Economic Advisors…Jack Stoll cut by the Giants
A lot of the roster cuts will be economic in nature. It often comes down to who can we keep at what price. Toure wil get signed to a practice squad at least. Domann may be out of the league. Brown is a guy that I think should be on a practice squad.

Reactions: HuskerJag
He might be in the situation where they don't think anybody will nab him and they can sign him to the practice squad for the time being. He's not an elite player so they're probably hoping they can stash him until they need him. Didn't they have a starting TE miss a lot of time last year?
I was wondering why he was with the Giants in the first place. Looks like he thought he could compete for the starting job. Which is weird to see him cut.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT