ADVERTISEMENT

NFL Combine

I'm waiting to see how fast Laviska Shenault is. He was a beast at CU. I wasn't all that impressed with his combine interview, though. Really didn't have much to say.

Figured Darrion was stronger than 21 reps.

It's the bench press...probably the least important indicator of power or strength. Only still done for the pageantry of the combine. Think Darrion measured in at 6'3"+ with 81 inch reach that is more impressive, and as another poster mentioned, the leverages with long arms like that are horrible for benching.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I read something where someone said it wasn't a huge surprise due to how long his arms are or something.

That was exactly my guess. Khalil sure did tear it up though all around! Was easily our best dlineman the past two seasons

I’m soo torn on these numbers, the Nebraska kids more specifically the Davis twins have showed out today, but where was the production at in the field to match these numbers? I’m not saying they were dead beats but where we not using them correctly or is there something else to it as to why the production isn’t measuring up to the numbers seen today?

I’m soo torn on these numbers, the Nebraska kids more specifically the Davis twins have showed out today, but where was the production at in the field to match these numbers? I’m not saying they were dead beats but where we not using them correctly or is there something else to it as to why the production isn’t measuring up to the numbers seen today?

With the Davis Twins, IMO it was because they were playing out of position. They are 4-3 DTs that we had playing 3-4 DE. They did well considering that, but IMO they would have looked alot better in a 4-3.

Khalil had 45 tackles, 11 TFLs and 8 sacks while missing a game due to suspension and no bowl game.
That’s solid production from 3-4 DE

Khalil had 45 tackles, 11 TFLs and 8 sacks while missing a game due to suspension and no bowl game.
That’s solid production from 3-4 DE

It is. Really makes me wonder what he could have done in a 4-3 where he'd likely be let loose a little more.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...otebook-did-aj-epenesa-crater-his-draft-stock

1. Khalil Davis, Defensive Tackle, Nebraska (pictured): 4.75-second 40 (1.66-second 10-yard split) at 308 pounds; 32 bench press reps.

Carlos Davis, Defensive Tackle, Nebraska: 4.82-second 40 (1.67-second 10-yard split) at 313 pounds; 27 bench press reps; 4.52-second 20-yard shuttle.

Khalil and Carlos are identical twins with non-identical scouting reports. Khalil (eight sacks last season) is quicker and more technically sound, and he proved his athletic profile is superior to that of Carlos (four sacks last season), though both brothers posted remarkable workout numbers for interior linemen.

Fast splits, sprints and drills should move Khalil up to the third round of April's draft and guarantee that the less-accomplished Carlos is selected early on Day 3. Both may have pushed themselves ahead of Nebraska teammate Darrion Daniels, who didn't test nearly well Saturday and projects as a 1-technique run-plugger in the NFL.

Reactions: WHCSC
Bench Press reps:
Khalil Davis 32 (6th overall)
Carlos Davis 27
Darrion Daniels 21
AJ Epenesa 17
Yes but
https://bleacherreport.com/articles...otebook-did-aj-epenesa-crater-his-draft-stock

1. Khalil Davis, Defensive Tackle, Nebraska (pictured): 4.75-second 40 (1.66-second 10-yard split) at 308 pounds; 32 bench press reps.

Carlos Davis, Defensive Tackle, Nebraska: 4.82-second 40 (1.67-second 10-yard split) at 313 pounds; 27 bench press reps; 4.52-second 20-yard shuttle.

Khalil and Carlos are identical twins with non-identical scouting reports. Khalil (eight sacks last season) is quicker and more technically sound, and he proved his athletic profile is superior to that of Carlos (four sacks last season), though both brothers posted remarkable workout numbers for interior linemen.

Fast splits, sprints and drills should move Khalil up to the third round of April's draft and guarantee that the less-accomplished Carlos is selected early on Day 3. Both may have pushed themselves ahead of Nebraska teammate Darrion Daniels, who didn't test nearly well Saturday and projects as a 1-technique run-plugger in the NFL.
Why did both Davis’s choose not to VJ? and if so how can someone who cannot jump get such a high athletic score? Seems like the twins found a loop hole in the scoring system. Basically if you SA at something don’t do it( Bingo high score). Seems like the twins our a couple of geniuses.:( Me Myself and Irin)Laughing

With the Davis Twins, IMO it was because they were playing out of position. They are 4-3 DTs that we had playing 3-4 DE. They did well considering that, but IMO they would have looked alot better in a 4-3.
Never played for Bo of course but they were recruited by Bo for his 4-3. People are going to see thru the NFL that we had talent on defensive line. Really really good talent. Linebackers were always the problem.

The D-Line isn’t designed to make tackles in this scheme. Linebackers are designed to make tackles. So for people that are surprised that our D-Line is looking good at the combine, go back and watch the games and keep in mind that point and tell me our D-Line wasn’t really really good. They didn’t really get pushed around. They ate up space like they were designed to do. Their LBs just didn’t finish it off for them. Imagine a volleyball player setting a teammate up and that teammate fails to spike the ball.

The issue with LB was obviously coaching and talent. We have a guy whose learning to be a coach for the first time really and had a guy who should have taken the year off. And the true talent on the team and needed coaching. The older guys, ugh.

but here comes the Huskers irony, right? Younger talent is more mature, Dawson @ LB coach is a major upgrade, and Ruud has more experience so the LBs should improve just when the D-Line will take a major step back... SMH... one step closer two steps back

Yes but

Why did both Davis’s choose not to VJ? and if so how can someone who cannot jump get such a high athletic score? Seems like the twins found a loop hole in the scoring system. Basically if you SA at something don’t do it( Bingo high score). Seems like the twins our a couple of geniuses.:( Me Myself and Irin)Laughing
I know it isn’t necessarily vertical, but both Davis twins can do back flips (at least they could when they arrived)... to me they can jump. Why they chose not to is anybody’s guess.

It's the bench press...probably the least important indicator of power or strength. Only still done for the pageantry of the combine. Think Darrion measured in at 6'3"+ with 81 inch reach that is more impressive, and as another poster mentioned, the leverages with long arms like that are horrible for benching.

Was anybody surprised he dropped close to 20 lbs? I sometimes wonder if some of our guys shouldn't be bulking up as much as they have, do they lose a step?

Was anybody surprised he dropped close to 20 lbs? I sometimes wonder if some of our guys shouldn't be bulking up as much as they have, do they lose a step?

My guess would be that he dropped the weight to not be looked at only as a run stopping NT, but as a DT. At Nebraska he was asked to be the NT. So it makes sense he had the weight.

Reactions: bigredhunter
I hate the 3-4. It's not conducive to the kids we can recruit here. 4-3 always worked better. We could recruit and develop 4-3 DL guys out the ass we cant find 3-4 edge guys to save our lives.

I hate the 3-4. It's not conducive to the kids we can recruit here. 4-3 always worked better. We could recruit and develop 4-3 DL guys out the ass we cant find 3-4 edge guys to save our lives.

It seems like when we had a 4-3, I heard a lot of people wanting a 3-4 because we struggled to find rush DE’s. And now we’re in the 3-4, I hear people longing for the days of the 4-3 because we can’t get rush OLB.

I think regardless of scheme we’ve struggled to get pass rushers.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT