ADVERTISEMENT

New DC

How do you figure? Wouldn't that indicate the DC is the problem?

If you can’t see that our DL can’t get pressure on the QB, that we are very vulnerable on the outside, and some of our secondary couldn’t cover roadkill with a tent, then I don’t know what you have been watching the past 11/2 seasons.

If you can’t see that our DL can’t get pressure on the QB, that we are very vulnerable on the outside, and some of our secondary couldn’t cover roadkill with a tent, then I don’t know what you have been watching the past 11/2 seasons.
Doesn't the DC have something to do with those things? Defensive coordinators don't just draw up plays and that's it. They're involved in every aspect of the defense including technique, positioning, roster management, etc. If there is an area that's subpar, they need to be able to know how to fix those things and make improvements. Not only have improvements not been made, but our defense continues to get worse. That's on the DC.

Doesn't the DC have something to do with those things? Defensive coordinators don't just draw up plays and that's it. They're involved in every aspect of the defense including technique, positioning, roster management, etc. If there is an area that's subpar, they need to be able to know how to fix those things and make improvements. Not only have improvements not been made, but our defense continues to get worse. That's on the DC.
To an extent, you’re absolutely right, but if the talent simply isn’t there... a lot of defensive coordinators look bad when they don’t have talent.

Maybe Chinander is awful. I’m not an X’s and O’s Guy, so I can’t speak to that. But the talent isn’t 90s talent, nor is it 2000s talent...

And our last halfway decent defense was 2016. We have freaking sucked 3 of the last 4. Why was Nebraska at least average in 2016, and sucked the other 3? Could it be because it was that was Banker’s 2nd season?????? Hmmm.

So sorry I’m not in a big hurry to continue the revolving door at DC when the D has played well enough in 5 of the six games to keep the team in the games, and when arguably the best player on D this year has been....Luke Gifford, a high school QB. And I’m not taking a shot at Gifford there.

Reactions: nebcountry
To an extent, you’re absolutely right, but if the talent simply isn’t there... a lot of defensive coordinators look bad when they don’t have talent.

Maybe Chinander is awful. I’m not an X’s and O’s Guy, so I can’t speak to that. But the talent isn’t 90s talent, nor is it 2000s talent...
You're right, Diaco is a actually a great coach, just didn't have the talent here. He and Chinander are having pretty similar results.:rolleyes:

Even with poor talent, good defensive coordinators don't let their units get below average. Our defense is awful. And I'm not convinced we really do have poor talent. 9 times out of 10, if the defense is bad, the coaching was bad as well.

And our last halfway decent defense was 2016. We have freaking sucked 3 of the last 4. Why was Nebraska at least average in 2016, and sucked the other 3? Could it be because it was that was Banker’s 2nd season?????? Hmmm.

So sorry I’m not in a big hurry to continue the revolving door at DC when the D has played well enough in 5 of the six games to keep the team in the games, and when arguably the best player on D this year has been....Luke Gifford, a high school QB. And I’m not taking a shot at Gifford there.
Banker wasn't ever going to be good enough to win anything of significance. I think if you have a top 10 offense that Frost is capable of having, you should have a defense that can match it. We shouldn't accept having a mediocre defense just because our offense is good and can carry us.

And I agree it's sad Gifford has been our best player on defense the last 2 seasons, but even he has reached nowhere near his potential under these two staffs.

Banker wasn't ever going to be good enough to win anything of significance. I think if you have a top 10 offense that Frost is capable of having, you should have a defense that can match it. We shouldn't accept having a mediocre defense just because our offense is good and can carry us.

I never said he was. I pointed out in his SECOND year we had the best D we’ve had in the last four, but you want to fire the guy who helped beat Auburn last year.

I can make an argument that the offense bears just as much blame in the struggles this year. You and anyone else who chooses to ONLY put the blame on Chin is either blind and can’t bring themselves to criticize SF or just an idiot.

Oh and you aren’t convinced there isn’t talent on this Defense, that two differ staffs couldn’t do much with, having a lot of the same guys? So your solution is try a 3rd in 3 years? Ok got it.

Oh and if we had a top 10 offense this year, we’d have blown the doors off NW before the 1st half was over when the D had done their jobs pretty well.

Our 2016 defense was not very good:

Oregon - 35 points/482 yards
Ohio State - 62 points/590 yards
Iowa - 40 points/408 yards
Tennessee - 38 points/521 yards

Last edited:
Reactions: oldjar07
Our 2016 defense was not very good.

Oregon - 35 points/482 yards
Ohio State - 62 points/590 yards
Iowa - 40 points/408 yards
Tennessee - 38 points/521 yards

No kidding. That’s why I said average. We’ve been even worse since. The point is, they were better in 16 and got worse in 17.

No kidding. That’s why I said average. We’ve been even worse since. The point is, they were better in 16 and got worse in 17.

And UCF's defense got worse under Chindander from Year 1 to Year 2.

2016 - 49th in total defense, 40th in scoring defense
2017 - 93rd in total defense, 53rd in scoring defense

So experience in Chinander's system didn't seem to help UCF's defense. It actually got worse. Fortunately, Frost's offense improved so much it was able to overcome very poor defense.

I never said he was. I pointed out in his SECOND year we had the best D we’ve had in the last four, but you want to fire the guy who helped beat Auburn last year.

I can make an argument that the offense bears just as much blame in the struggles this year. You and anyone else who chooses to ONLY put the blame on Chin is either blind and can’t bring themselves to criticize SF or just an idiot.

Oh and you aren’t convinced there isn’t talent on this Defense, that two differ staffs couldn’t do much with, having a lot of the same guys? So your solution is try a 3rd in 3 years? Ok got it.

Oh and if we had a top 10 offense this year, we’d have blown the doors off NW before the 1st half was over when the D had done their jobs pretty well.
I haven't put the blame just on Chins, I think Frost has made a lot of mistakes this year too, although I think Frost is a good coach and Chins isn't.

I didn't say Frost had a top 10 offense this year. I said he's capable of having one over the coming years, and it would be a shame if the defense is holding this team back.

And why not 3 coordinators in 3 years? Plenty of programs have had similar turnover and have turned out just fine and produced good defenses.

And UCF's defense got worse under Chindander from Year 1 to Year 2.

2016 - 49th in total defense, 40th in scoring defense
2017 - 93rd in total defense, 53rd in scoring defense

So experience in Chinander's system didn't seem to help UCF's defense. It actually got worse.

So they improved 13 spots in scoring D, and they beat Auburn and managed to go undefeated. Weird huh.

Last edited:
I haven't put the blame just on Chins, I think Frost has made a lot of mistakes this year too, although I think Frost is a good coach and Chins isn't.

I didn't say Frost had a top 10 offense this year. I said he's capable of having one over the coming years, and it would be a shame if the defense is holding this team back.

And why not 3 coordinators in 3 years? Plenty of programs have had similar turnover and have turned out just fine and produced good defenses.

Name me one who has had 3 in 3 years that had good results? Then show me their draft picks. Oh and tell me who in the next 2 years is going to get drafted from this teams D? If you haven’t noticed we haven’t been doing to well in the draft lately.

Name me one who has had 3 in 3 years that had good results? Then show me their draft picks. Oh and tell me who in the next 2 years is going to get drafted from this teams D? If you haven’t noticed we haven’t been doing to well in the draft lately.
Wisconsin has had very good defenses with 3 different coordinators in 3 years. Alabama has had a lot of turnover and still produce elite defenses every year. I don't know what the draft has to do with anything. We're talking about defenses, not the draft.

Wisconsin has had very good defenses with 3 different coordinators in 3 years. Alabama has had a lot of turnover and still produce elite defenses every year. I don't know what the draft has to do with anything. We're talking about defenses, not the draft.

Sooooo you aren’t convinced this team doesn’t have talent, and the draft has nothing to do with talent???

Alabama? But you aren’t talking about the draft? The team that recruits on a level Nebraska could only dream of today? The team that had Kirby Smart as its DC from 08-15, and now Lupoi is DC (that’s not 3 in 3 years). Talk about apples and oranges. RollingLaugh

Wisconsin is your other example? RollingLaugh A team that is always at the top of the time of possession charts because of how the offense plays. RollingLaughGee do you think that just might help their D stats look better (until this past weekend)?

So you want a DC who will have Wisconsin or Alabama type D numbers when SF gets this offense rolling and has possession of the ball for say 27 mins a game like UCF last year? RollingLaugh

Keep trying.

Reactions: Yossarian23
You're right, Diaco is a actually a great coach, just didn't have the talent here. He and Chinander are having pretty similar results.:rolleyes:

Even with poor talent, good defensive coordinators don't let their units get below average. Our defense is awful. And I'm not convinced we really do have poor talent. 9 times out of 10, if the defense is bad, the coaching was bad as well.
Ok, kind of missed my point, but oh well... I am not arguing that chinander is a good defensive coordinator. I am merely suggesting that without talent, he looks even worse.

So who gets drafted or signed as UDFAs from this defense?

Sooooo you aren’t convinced this team doesn’t have talent, and the draft has nothing to do with talent???

Alabama? But you aren’t talking about the draft? The team that recruits on a level Nebraska could only dream of today? The team that had Kirby Smart as its DC from 08-15, and now Lupoi is DC (that’s not 3 in 3 years). Talk about apples and oranges. RollingLaugh

Wisconsin is your other example? RollingLaugh A team that is always at the top of the time of possession charts because of how the offense plays. RollingLaughGee do you think that just might help their D stats look better (until this past weekend)?

So you want a DC who will have Wisconsin or Alabama type D numbers when SF gets this offense rolling and has possession of the ball for say 27 mins a game like UCF last year? RollingLaugh

Keep trying.
You forgot Pruitt. That's 3 in 4 years for Alabama. I think their offense has had even more turnover and they're the #1 offense this year. A top 10 defense is a top 10 defense and Wisconsin has had at least couple of them lately.

As for UCF, a lot of their time of possession problems were because the defense couldn't get a stop and get off the field. So their defense was actually holding the offense back even from what was the #1 offense last year and not getting them the ball back.

Ok, kind of missed my point, but oh well... I am not arguing that chinander is a good defensive coordinator. I am merely suggesting that without talent, he looks even worse.

So who gets drafted or signed as UDFAs from this defense?
Don't care about the draft, I care about this defense. If he's not a good defensive coordinator what's the point in keeping him around?

Don't care about the draft, I care about this defense. If he's not a good defensive coordinator what's the point in keeping him around?
And I could easily say if we don’t have good talent, how good can he be?

We just agree to disagree about firing chins at season’s end I guess. I think he could get better with time and familiarity to the players he has. He’s also learning.

You can point to UCF, but if Frost is a young coach who is learning, why can’t the same be said for chins?

How many draft picks do you need to not be 0-6 and not have one of the worst defenses in the country?
Keep dodging.

Our talent is not where it needs to be. Bottom line. Do you disagree with that statement?

Our good defenses always had draft picks. Always. Name me the last time we had a good defense and no draft picks.

I won’t hold my breath.

Reactions: HuskerO and newAD

This isn't true. Plus, think about the amount of position coaches some of these kids have gone through. If we continue to cycle coaches, you are never going to learn a scheme, and will continue to struggle.

Why don’t you ask the the coach that you seem to have blind faith in who wanted him here? Tell him Chin is a bad DC because YOU say he is, and you only halfway trust SF’s judgment.

So they improved 13 spots in scoring D, and they beat Auburn and managed to go undefeated. Weird huh.

No, they went down 13 spots in Scoring D, from 40th to 53rd. Even in Year 2 with NFL talent like Hughes and Griffin, and a soft schedule, they still had a bad defense.

Keep dodging.

Our talent is not where it needs to be. Bottom line. Do you disagree with that statement?

We need a major upgrade in talent to compete with Wisconsin, Michigan, OSU, Iowa.

The talent we currently have needs better coaching and themselves to perform better to get some wins against teams like Colorado, Troy, Purdue, and Northwestern.

When compared to week one of the season I do not believe this team has improved - in fact in most games it has regressed

We need a major upgrade in talent to compete with Wisconsin, Michigan, OSU, Iowa.

The talent we currently have needs better coaching and themselves to perform better to get some wins against teams like Colorado, Troy, Purdue, and Northwestern.

When compared to week one of the season I do not believe this team has improved - in fact in most games it has regressed

I would say that is true on D. The offense keeps doing things that look better then things that are boneheaded or ineffective.

I would say that is true on D. The offense keeps doing things that look better then things that are boneheaded or ineffective.

versus week one

Offense - push (had opportunity to ice the game against NW just like Colorado and failed) -
Defense - much worse
Special Teams - remains horrible - no improvement
Penalties - no improvement

It isn't obvious to me that we have shown improvement since week one of the season - the offense put up bigger numbers against Colorado despite not having AM for part of the game

He’s got selective memory issues. McBride never would have survived the 1990 season if the internet would have been around.
That 1990 season we gave up an average of 260 yards on defense, held multiple teams to shut outs, and played two teams that shared the national title. Yeah, even in 1990 our defense was good.

That 1990 season we gave up an average of 260 yards on defense, held multiple teams to shut outs, and played two teams that shared the national title. Yeah, even in 1990 our defense was good.
Still waiting for an answer... point me to a good Nebraska defense that didn’t have players drafted or signed as UDFAs.

Glad I didn’t decide to hold my breath.

Still waiting for an answer... point me to a good Nebraska defense that didn’t have players drafted or signed as UDFAs.

Glad I didn’t decide to hold my breath.
We've had a lot bad Ds with some of those type of players, in the past probably some Ds that were really good with a same # of those types (1-3). Agree no really good D without them.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT