ADVERTISEMENT

Negative thought thread…

… I’m legit worried we won’t get bowl eligible… calm my fears, please
You're not wrong. We definitely could be lucky to win 1 more but if we do, if placements could be thrown out, based on attendance bowls would absolutely LOVE having the Huskers

Yes. However, remember when Nebraska's shitty offensive production after the Rutgers and Illinois game was excused by many homer fans because they both had a "solid D" ? Well this weekend I watched Illinois and Rutgers play their solid d's against two horrible offensive teams. That's all I needed to see in advance of this game. So I would say that of course the have a chance against an unproven Indiana team.
Will they win? I don't think they will unfortunately. Unless Satt pulls his head out of his ass, we could be in for a real bumpy ride the last 6 games.
Oh good, transitive property guy is here.

… I’m legit worried we won’t get bowl eligible… calm my fears, please

Your negative thoughts will not harm me.

The-Matrix-the-matrix-31832109-500-211.gif

Ha...Look, when we joined this horrible conference we laughed at 90% of the teams...

Indiana is a joke.
Stuff like this makes me envious of Oregon. When Nebraska first joined this conference, they were meant to raise the profile of it, and make the B1G more competitive.

Nebraska went straight into the toilet.

In its first B1G game, they got boatraced by Wisconsin. And things really haven’t been right since.

The B1G loves that Oregon beat OSU. It makes them look good. Which is what NU was supposed to do. And never did.

I hate the Big 12 but I actually think NU would fare better there. They aren’t ever winning the B1G in its current form.

have to go 2-1 against Indiana, Wisconsin, and Iowa.

Anything worse than that is frankly embarrassing.

I’m not as sold on the D as many here. I think they look great against shitty OL’s, but unfortunately look soft against even decent ones.

I think the thing to remember is that most of the Big Ten teams are basically 100 seasons of .500 FB with nothing to show for it.

So, while they will have a good game or two, they will also end up totally falling apart.

NU is still a HUGE game for these dorky teams. They get so geeked up for it.
Very true. Whether we're down or up team's get up to beat Nebraska

Reactions: InMotion
Stuff like this makes me envious of Oregon. When Nebraska first joined this conference, they were meant to raise the profile of it, and make the B1G more competitive.

Nebraska went straight into the toilet.

In its first B1G game, they got boatraced by Wisconsin. And things really haven’t been right since.

The B1G loves that Oregon beat OSU. It makes them look good. Which is what NU was supposed to do. And never did.

I hate the Big 12 but I actually think NU would fare better there. They aren’t ever winning the B1G in its current form.
I’d hope we’d fare better in big 12, it’s a shell of what it was when we left. Everyone in there now sucks.

Reactions: WHCSC
To be fair, both teams had a week off, both worked on "things" and they think things will be good as well. DR is a true freshman QB in B10 football.
It appeared that Schiano confused the hell out of Raiola. Some of that no doubt was his anxiety about trying to throw mid to longer passes with the wind that day. It was brutal.

With the exception of tOSU, every game on the schedule is winnable or losable. It was a weird way to say it, but one of the guys on D said they just decided that they didn't care and just went out and played. The running game from the RBs has to level up. I thought Rahmir had the hot hand last game, and maybe Satt should ride the hot hand a bit more. If the RBs can merit a bit more attention, that makes the sweep plays to Barney more dangerous and should leave a WR open more often. There were holes that should have been taken advantage of, and that is not on the Oline. In terms of defense, getting Tommi and Javin back is a big deal with Indiana looming. Wright's coverage skills give White personnel combinations that he didn't have earlier in the season. And Ceyair Wright turned out to be a steal from the portal.
For the most part, I liked the way they used our RBs against Rutgers. Rhamir is a home run threat if we can get him the ball in the open field. He's got a step better speed than the rest. I would like to see a more consistent commitment to power run schemes but I also understand that we're running an NFL style offense with a future NFL QB.

Reactions: scarletred
We should split the remaining games at minimum

The fact we are underdogs this week against a team in year 1 of their coach’s tenure after they spent the last 100 years as the worst program in the country is hilarious to me

If we lose this week Rhule should hear about it, loudly
Agree. Would be very disappointing to be behind indiana at this point in rhules tenure.

I still hate them all.
Same. I don’t root for any other B1G team during Bowl Season with the exception of Penn State. Not a fan of Paterno and how that all went down but Penn State is like us - we’ve both to this day been treated as outsiders and probably will always be. Not necessarily the newly added former PAC-12 teams but F*** the rest of the B1G!

Reactions: headcard

I’m not as sold on the D as many here. I think they look great against shitty OL’s, but unfortunately look soft against even decent ones.
How's Indiana's running game? This could be a game where we start teeing off if they can't consistently run.

Indiana basically just hired the entire James Madison staff. Their head coach and both coordinators have never coached at even the coordinator level in a power conf . Fair or not if Rhule and co lose this one the knives will be out
They've retained of the top O-line coaches in the country, successfully selected portal guys that enhanced the culture, and have a winning mentality. You don't start off your season 6-0 and 3-0 in conference play by luck, seems to me this coaching staff has a good idea on what it takes to win, and win big. This game seems like a toss up and as long as the Huskers play hard with minimal self inflicted wounds, the only knives that will be out will be those belong to those who struggle with reality. This Huskers team plays hard and is on the upwsing, they still have some gaps and areas to improve on before they are ready to contend for the conference title and/or natty.

I also think it’s important to win 2 out of those three games..

I think you’re in correct on the defensive line, will find out more in the second half of the season..

They've retained of the top O-line coaches in the country, successfully selected portal guys that enhanced the culture, and have a winning mentality. You don't start off your season 6-0 and 3-0 in conference play by luck, seems to me this coaching staff has a good idea on what it takes to win, and win big. This game seems like a toss up and as long as the Huskers play hard with minimal self inflicted wounds, the only knives that will be out will be those belong to those who struggle with reality. This Huskers team plays hard and is on the upwsing, they still have some gaps and areas to improve on before they are ready to contend for the conference title and/or natty.
Real world take. I think the open question is whether IU is legit for the season or just a decent team that has beat several tomato cans. Looking at defensive stat rankings for IU opponents in comparison to those of NU, there's not a lot of difference. The game will come down to whether NU's defense can limit IU in the points column and control the ball.
FIU - 107
WIU - NR/FCS, currently 2-4
UCLA - 66
NC Charlotte - 116
Maryland - 71
NW - 61
AVE - 84

For NU
UTEP - 119
CU - 94
NIU - NR/FCS, currently 2-4
ILL - 59
Purdue - 122
Rutgers - 74
AVE - 94

Last edited:
I find it amusing some posters were talking playoffs when we were 4-0, then an overtime loss to a ranked team, and a win in line with Vegas expectations and we now won’t make a bowl. The bipolar Husker fan 🤣

It is funny when you put it that way. But, to be fair, one of those two scenarios seems muuuuuuuch more likely than the other ever did.

Cignetti seems like a good coach, but this is also the Bill Snyder approach. They've literally played no one. Their non-con is a joke, Maryland is really bad as Locksley is a horrible coach and really NW is their best win. Is NW worth a shit? I guess we will see how good they actually are this weeked. Good chance for them to be in the spotlight.

Cignetti seems like a good coach, but this is also the Bill Snyder approach. They've literally played no one. Their non-con is a joke, Maryland is really bad as Locksley is a horrible coach and really NW is their best win. Is NW worth a shit? I guess we will see how good they actually are this weeked. Good chance for them to be in the spotlight.
NW is #61 on D and #120 on O. Neither NU nor IU has face a top 50 defense in terms of stats. Comparison of total offense of opponents below (defensive rankings in parens). After wasting my time doing this, I conclude there is not much in the stats pointing to any difference in the quality between the opponents of NU and IU. Best team statewise NU has played is ILL and NU lost. Best team IU has played is Maryland and IU won. Illiinois is shaping up to be a 8-4 team, maybe 9-3. Maryland might go 5-7, but is likely to be 4-8.
The truth is we don't really know how good Indiana is. Undefeated team with gaudy offensive stats that were piled up against defenses with an average rank of 84.
FIU - 113 (107)
UCLA - 130 (66)
NC Charlotte - 102 (116)
Maryland - 43 (71)
NW - 120 (61)
AVE - 102 (84)
IU's rankings - 4 (6)

For NU
UTEP - 115 (119)
CU - 63 (94)
ILL - 76 (59)
Purdue - 107 (122)
Rutgers - 83 (74)
NU's rankings - 77 (13)
AVE - 89 (94)

NW is #61 on D and #120 on O. Neither NU nor IU has face a top 50 defense in terms of stats. Comparison of total offense of opponents below (defensive rankings in parens). After wasting my time doing this, I conclude there is not much in the stats pointing to any difference in the quality between the opponents of NU and IU. Best team statewise NU has played is ILL and NU lost. Best team IU has played is Maryland and IU won. Illiinois is shaping up to be a 8-4 team, maybe 9-3. Maryland might go 5-7, but is likely to be 4-8.
The truth is we don't really know how good Indiana is. Undefeated team with gaudy offensive stats that were piled up against defenses with an average rank of 84.
FIU - 113 (107)
UCLA - 130 (66)
NC Charlotte - 102 (116)
Maryland - 43 (71)
NW - 120 (61)
AVE - 102 (84)
IU's rankings - 4 (6)

For NU
UTEP - 115 (119)
CU - 63 (94)
ILL - 76 (59)
Purdue - 107 (122)
Rutgers - 83 (74)
NU's rankings - 77 (13)
AVE - 89 (94)
I'm not saying we have played anyone either, but like I said we have no idea how good Indiana is because they have played zero. NU is probably 6-0, as well, with people sucking us off if we played their schedule only to either come crashing down this week or next. NU and IU to me are very similar where when either plays a good team they are probably going to get wrecked. At least NU did have Colorado on its schedule, but IU non-con is very Snyder-esque.

Reactions: TampaBaySkers
I quoted this post because it represents a sentiment shared by many people.
"They haven't played anyone"
"Their non-con is a joke"
These comments tend to be true ... for MOST teams. We all know coaches/ADs schedule a weak non-con because they want to make a bowl and get those bonuses. Because of the aforementioned, the first half of almost ALL team's schedules tend to be easier than the back-half.
So when someone says, "They haven't proven anything" ... well at this stage of the season that is true for lots of teams (though "anything" is typical sports-fan over-reach). The most important thing to remember, that except for a tiny fraction of FBS, we don't know who will be crowned a "good" team until late November-early December.
Wasn't is just last year that Colorado was crowned a "good to great" team after opening with wins over #17 TCU and then Nebraska. They finished as a 4-8 joke.

These comments tend to be true ... for MOST teams. We all know coaches/ADs schedule a weak non-con because they want to make a bowl and get those bonuses. Because of the aforementioned, the first half of almost ALL team's schedules tend to be easier than the back-half.
So when someone says, "They haven't proven anything" ... well at this stage of the season that is true for lots of teams (though "anything" is typical sports-fan over-reach). The most important thing to remember, that except for a tiny fraction of FBS, we don't know who will be crowned a "good" team until late November-early December.
Wasn't is just last year that Colorado was crowned a "good to great" team after opening with wins over #17 TCU and then Nebraska. They finished as a 4-8 joke.
I think Indiana and 2023 colorado is a good comparison.

Reactions: Champ_Kind_whammy
The big issue here is, NU has only played maybe, 2 full games front to back. CU we did not score 2nd half. ILL, 2nd half struggle, PU 1st half nothing, Rutgers, up 14 - 0 and then nothing. I think NIU may have been similar, cant remember. I am not sure on Indiana, but I feel they have played more complete games. We should have put 48 up on CU, PU and Rutgers. Instead, we struggled for whatever reason. Rhule, backed off, other team adjusted. Moral of the story, our offensive numbers are bad because of this and we have yet to play to our potential. I think IU already has.

The big issue here is, NU has only played maybe, 2 full games front to back. CU we did not score 2nd half. ILL, 2nd half struggle, PU 1st half nothing, Rutgers, up 14 - 0 and then nothing. I think NIU may have been similar, cant remember. I am not sure on Indiana, but I feel they have played more complete games. We should have put 48 up on CU, PU and Rutgers. Instead, we struggled for whatever reason. Rhule, backed off, other team adjusted. Moral of the story, our offensive numbers are bad because of this and we have yet to play to our potential. I think IU already has.
This is what makes me bullish on Nebraska. We haven’t even played a complete game yet. So much potential… but need to keep the pedal to the metal

I'm worried about us as well. I literally have no idea how good either of us are. We look great at times and at times like we won't win another game. Shit is about to get real for both teams.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT