ADVERTISEMENT

#NebraskaLoyalty - any truth to this?

Redmich

Senior
Jun 21, 2022

FyefGReX0AQYwv3

Lame if true - I would find this hard to believe. Would they say the same about an out of state 5 star they were recruiting hard that chose someone over us and decided a couple of years later that he would like to win his second Heisman with Nebraska - we would turn him away?

Reactions: phoenix4nu
Lame if true - I would find this hard to believe. Would they say the same about an out of state 5 star they were recruiting hard that chose someone over us and decided a couple of years later that he would like to win his second Heisman with Nebraska - we would turn him away?
I agree. If that was the policy in the 90s, Scott Frost wouldn't have transferred to Nebraska and led the team to a national championship. It's hard to believe that Rhule would foreclose the possibility of a very good player from Nebraska transferring back home after first going somewhere else. And I doubt that it would change many Nebraska kids' minds from going to an out-of-state school to begin with if that's what they really want to do.

Last edited:
Reactions: RBigredMax
I agree. If that was the policy in the 90s, Scott Frost wouldn't have transferred to Nebraska and led the team to a national championship. It's hard to believe that Rhule would foreclose the possibility of a very good player from Nebraska transferring back home after first going somewhere else. And I doubt that it will change many Nebraska kids minds from going to an out-of-state school to begin with if that's what they really want to do.
we would've won in '97 with Crouch as a true frosh

not a stretch to say allowing frost to come back hurt the program a hell of a lot more than it helped

This is a bullshit tweet (edit: article) that is a bastardization of what Benning actually said. He simply said he could see the staff being hard on guys that want to come back BECAUSE they are going all-in on local guys and prioritizing them at this point. There is zero chance that a local guy wouldn't be welcomed back if he's actually good and could contribute to the program. What nonsense.

Last edited:
This is a bullshit tweet that is a bastardization of what Benning actually said. He simply said he could see the staff being hard on guys that want to come back BECAUSE they are going all-in on local guys and prioritizing them at this point. There is zero chance that a local guy wouldn't be welcomed back if he's actually good and could contribute to the program. What nonsense.

good clarification

I don't have a problem with it. Also don't have a problem with a kid wanting to experience winning (e.g. Hausmann).

Nebraska has sucked for so long, it's tough to build borders while losing. Win on the field first, then add conditions.

Seems a bit short-sighted, if true.
Not really as if a current player enters the portal, he will not be welcomed back if he again enters the portal from the school he transfered from here to. That is what this is all about. I'm all for it. They didn't want to be here and we don't want them back if they enter the portal again no matter how good they may be. In the case of Dylan, we won't even entertain the thought of him transferring here if he leaves Georgia after him playing us like he did and wouldn't balme Rhule one bit if that happened, him telling Dylan find somewhere else to go as we don't want you!

This is a bullshit tweet (edit: article) that is a bastardization of what Benning actually said. He simply said he could see the staff being hard on guys that want to come back BECAUSE they are going all-in on local guys and prioritizing them at this point. There is zero chance that a local guy wouldn't be welcomed back if he's actually good and could contribute to the program. What nonsense.

This is all talk. The truth is, we would never know. If we had a need on the roster for a good player that left the state, we would find room.

On the other hand, if a player from in-state wanted to return, and we really didn’t want him, he’s not going to admit that he was rebuffed and the coaches are never going to bring it up.

Now, if Rhule wants it to be quietly known that he isn’t a big fan of players, who treat Nebraska like a fallback option, I’m probably OK with that,

My guess is that they are doing their due diligence to find out what kind of player someone was at their previous school, regardless, if they are from Nebraska or not. You can get all the leftover five stars from Georgia and Ohio State you want, but if they are overrated, what good is that to you?

It’s a fine line to walk - emphasizing loyalty to your home state to Nebraska kids while at the same time trying to convince recruits from other states to come to Nebraska and spurn their home state

we would've won in '97 with Crouch as a true frosh

not a stretch to say allowing frost to come back hurt the program a hell of a lot more than it helped
Technically Crouch never left the program completely…
End of story.

It's something that shouldn't have to be said or tweeted, just done through action if that's what they want to do.

People are always trying to create a negative narrative around preception and this only hurts N in the end.. ...😑

Reactions: dinglefritz

As usual something gets blown out of wack that’s not correct.

Nebraska is a unique state in this regard. I'm okay if true. I also think DB is always coming up with "rumors" to stay media relevant.
He didn’t say it as fact. He said it as his gut feeling. IMO I think DB is trying to tell kids, “don’t assume there will be a spot later in Lincoln for you if you blow them off out of high school”. Personally I think he’s sending a message to his own kid that whatever he picks he had better stick it out. Clester Johnson’s kid…,lol.

Last edited:
He didn’t say it as fact. He said it as his gut feeling. IMO I think DB is trying to tell kids, “don’t assume there will be a spot later in Lincoln for you if you blow them off out of high school”. Personally I think he’s sending a message to his own kid that whatever he picks he had better stick it out. Chester Johnson’s kid…,lol.
His name's all Chester.

Anyone who leaves Nebraska for another job or educational opportunity is never welcome back either.

100% N all the time or gtfo 4evah
Ah shit, can we amend this slightly? I’m leaving for a job next month… please don’t make me stay away 4evah!!

Nebraska is a unique state in this regard. I'm okay if true. I also think DB is always coming up with "rumors" to stay media relevant.
I've listened to Damon for years. He has an innate talent at saying something without actually saying it. He'll allude to a rumor or make a vague reference or hint at something without explaining himself. And then if it becomes true later on, he'll say that he had been saying it all along.

As for the topic at hand, I would bet that Rhule's message to in-state recruits is more like "don't count on" being able to come back. And I'm all for that because after all, Rhule's planning on having a winning program. So the situation isn't going to be like it was under Scott Frost where guys who aren't good enough to play elsewhere are always welcome to transfer to Nebraska.

If Rhule builds the culture of winning, he gets to do what he wants. Just like when TO says Philips plays.
Jimmy Johnson had a funny Troy Aikman story.
A player of little regard was snoozing during a meeting and got cussed out. The player complained saying he wouldn’t treat Troy Aikman this way. Jimmy said, of course I wouldn’t. I would ask him if he needed a pillow.

In this world, everyone needs to know their place.

I've listened to Damon for years. He has an innate talent at saying something without actually saying it. He'll allude to a rumor or make a vague reference or hint at something without explaining himself. And then if it becomes true later on, he'll say that he had been saying it all along.

As for the topic at hand, I would bet that Rhule's message to in-state recruits is more like "don't count on" being able to come back. And I'm all for that because after all, Rhule's planning on having a winning program. So the situation isn't going to be like it was under Scott Frost where guys who aren't good enough to play elsewhere are always welcome to transfer to Nebraska.
Exactly. You’re not going someplace else AND saving yourself a seat at Nebraska. That is a losing culture. Can you imagine Rhule, late at night, all worried, looking out the window and hoping his baby makes it home safely? Nope, he didn’t even save your number.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT