ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska vs. Western Carolina (Huskers lose 4-1)

RobsterMobster

Administrator
Jan 5, 2010
Jake Meyers gets the start on the hill today which leaves Schreiber out of the lineup so Meyers can have the DH spot.

GBR!

Top 1st

Meyers gets the start. Leadoff walk for WCU. Single to LF puts runners on 1st and 2nd. 4-6-3 double play but a runner advances to 3rd on the play. RBI line drive to RF. Meyers K's the final batter but had over 20 pitches just to get through that inning of work.

Bottom 1st

Leadoff walk for Placzek. Boldt also walks. Meyers with the sac bunt to advance the runners. Miller walks the bases loaded. Fish K's swinging. Rev pops up to 2nd to waste the bases loaded opportunity.

No hits in that situation is bad. Real bad.

Beyond pathetic. They try to hand us a big inning on a silver platter and we get nothing.

I wouldn't do it but I can't argue too much in that situation. Get a hit and go up 2-1 and get a shot in the arm. Didn't get a hit, though.

Top 2nd

Leadoff double for WCU, Klemke struggled to pick the ball up in the RF corner. The next two batters K looking. Infield single puts runners on the corners. Groundout to SS ends the threat.

WCU is on a three-walks-per-inning pace. Please, for the love of all that is holy, let's get some base knocks and put some crooked numbers on the board.

Bottom 2nd

Alvarado grounds out to 1st. Klemke walks. Schlepp also walks. Placzek walks the bases loaded. Boldt lines out right to 2nd and then Schlepp is doubled off 2nd, just bad luck all around right there.

I think Ryan is batting around .600 into someone's glove. That guy can't find grass to save his life. Just unbelievable.

I don't get that at all. We haven't even been bunting that much this year. This shouldn't be a game where we are just trying to scratch out runs.
Erstad talks about wanting to be aggressive and then he takes the bat out his best hitters hand. After the pitcher opens the game with two walks. Erstad just can't get out of his own way sometimes

This terrible Western pitcher is no hitting us? Wow.

Top 4th

Leadoff single to cf for WCU. Next batter walks on 4 pitches. Line out to 3rd and the runner is doubled off 2nd. Groundout to 3rd ends the frame.

Bottom 4th

Rev with a leadoff single to right center! Alvarado lines out to SS and the attempted throw to double Rev off of 1st goes wild and allows Rev to get to 2nd on the E6. Klemke fouls out to 1st. Schlepp with a bloop RBI single to LF to tie the game at one!!! Schlepp is then caught stealing to end the inning.

Ok we have 4 freaking foul ball outs and their guys are sprinting for the ball. We get 2 little pop ups and our guys are jogging for them. Christ Erstad pull them out and lose with guys that are going to give 100%. This is freaking embarrassing. Play with some passion.

Top 5th

One out bloop single to LF. Meyers then picks the runner off for out #2. Next batter walks. Groundout to 2nd ends the frame

Ok we have 4 freaking foul ball outs and their guys are sprinting for the ball. We get 2 little pop ups and our guys are jogging for them. Christ Erstad pull them out and lose with guys that are going to give 100%. This is freaking embarrassing. Play with some passion.

bottom line: Erstad needs to upgrade the non-pitching talent on this team, almost across the board. There is ZERO bench depth, and several positions are being manned by players who barely pass the 'div-1 sniff test'. I'm not putting these young men down, as they are doing their best and have handled themselves with class. Just a basic baseball observation.

Bottom 5th

Leadoff single for Placzek! Boldt hits into a 4-6-3 double play. :rolleyes: Meyers with a single past 3rd. We then go into a weather delay for 30 minutes because of lightning in the area.

After the Delay Miller pops up to 3rd to end the inning.

Erstad should have gotten another bona fide hitting coach when Bolt left. Not that I have anything personal against Mike Kirby, but a hitting coach should have been the top priority, Erstad himself admitted he wasn't a good hitting coach in 2011 Eek

Erstad should have gotten another bona fide hitting coach when Bolt left. Not that I have anything personal against Mike Kirby, but a hitting coach should have been the top priority, Erstad himself admitted he wasn't a good hitting coach in 2011 Eek

Th ats not as big of an issue as it was. Major improvement th is year. Problem is all our good hitters are younger and schreiber is hurting.

You don't overhaul hitting in a year. Takes three.

bottom line: Erstad needs to upgrade the non-pitching talent on this team, almost across the board. There is ZERO bench depth, and several positions are being manned by players who barely pass the 'div-1 sniff test'. I'm not putting these young men down, as they are doing their best and have handled themselves with class. Just a basic baseball observation.

I won't disagree with this, but talent and effort are 2 different things. You can completely suck and still give 100%. These guys can play in my opinion as they have shown it this season. But these last 2 weeks they have played like they just don't give a damn if they have a game tomorrow or not.

Coaching wise, Boldt has struggled for a few weeks at least. Why is he still at the top of the order? Yes he is batting .290 ish for the season but his last few weeks have been rough for him. I will give him credit that he does hit the ball but it has been right at someone. I went back to right after MSU series (that is when his slump started). In that time Boldt is 9-40 (.225) and 2 of those games he had 3 hits each (CU blowout and UNO). Minus those 2 games, he is 3-29 (whopping .103). Move the guy to the 7 hole or something to hope something starts to click with him. I hope he don't plan on going too high in the draft with an ending to the year like that.

On a side note I'm shocked with how little South Carolina fans showed up for the losers bracket game against Duke. Talk about bandwagon only fans. Just pathetic to see the stands so empty.

Reactions: donahues17
Top 6th

Reece Eddins now in to pitch for Meyers. 2 out single to RF on a ball that was almost caught by Klemke. Another single puts runners on 1st and 2nd. RBI single up the middle. Wilkening catches the runner with a huge lead at 1st and throws him out!

I won't disagree with this, but talent and effort are 2 different things. You can completely suck and still give 100%. These guys can play in my opinion as they have shown it this season. But these last 2 weeks they have played like they just don't give a damn if they have a game tomorrow or not.

Coaching wise, Boldt has struggled for a few weeks at least. Why is he still at the top of the order? Yes he is batting .290 ish for the season but his last few weeks have been rough for him. I will give him credit that he does hit the ball but it has been right at someone. I went back to right after MSU series (that is when his slump started). In that time Boldt is 9-40 (.225) and 2 of those games he had 3 hits each (CU blowout and UNO). Minus those 2 games, he is 3-29 (whopping .103). Move the guy to the 7 hole or something to hope something starts to click with him. I hope he don't plan on going too high in the draft with an ending to the year like that.

Our upper class leadership sucks. Honestly if we recruit well we could be better next year by default.

Bottom 6th

Back to back one out singles for Nebraska but another double play ends the inning.

Top 7th

2 out single past 2nd. Another ground ball that keeps finding a hole for WCU. Fly out to cf ends the frame.

Bottom 6th

Back to back one out singles for Nebraska but another double play ends the inning.

Seriously, what is NU's batting average with RISP the past month? Baseball is a cruel sport with a lot of randomness, but you almost couldn't try and do worse than the Huskers have in these situations. They need a psychiatrist AND a new batting coach to fix the problem.

Bottom 7th

Schlepp walks to lead off. Placzek with the sac bunt to advance Schlepp to 2nd. Boldt with an infield single to put runners on the corners! Meyers hits into a double play. I don't even want to explain it. Our luck is pure crap right now too.

Reactions: donahues17
Bases loaded in the 1st and 2nd...and no runs. Hitting into 4 double plays. LOL. They really came to compete.

Reactions: WuTang_Husker
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT