ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska vs Northwestern is a true rivalry, not Wisconsin!

Most Badger fans would view Minn and Iowa as our rivalry games.
It appeared Wisconsin/Nebraska was developing into a rivalry also but Nebraska didn't hold up it's end and it's fizzled a bit.
Ohio State was on the way to becoming a rivalry but in that case Wisconsin hasn't held up it's end by losing to them again and again under Urban Meyer and with us moving to the WEST.
Most Badger fans view Northwestern as more of "a pain in the arse" game than a rivalry game, they give us fits, especially at Northwestern.

Last edited:
It appeared Wisconsin/Nebraska was developing into a rivalry also but Nebraska didn't hold up it's end and it's fizzled a bit.
Ohio STAte was on the way to becoming a rivalry but in that case Wisconsin hasn't held up it's end by losing to them again and again under Urban Meyer and with us moving to the WEST.
Most Badger fans view Northwestern as more of "a pain in the arse" game than a rivalry game, they give us fits, especially at Northwestern.

I agree with this. Nebraska is not going to develop a rivalry until we hold up our end of the deal. This could be Wisconsin or Iowa..

Reactions: huskerfan66
Northwestern doesn't rile anybody up enough to be considered a rival. You can't really hate them enough, they are good enough to play with just about anybody so losing to them isn't like losing to Rutgers. Beating them doesn't really elicit much of a feeling either, not like beating Michigan or Ohio State.

Ohio State was on the way to becoming a rivalry but in that case Wisconsin hasn't held up it's end by losing to them again and again under Urban Meyer and with us moving to the WEST.

Agree 100%. A hammer doesn't consider a nail its rival and a nail shouldn't try to pretend. It's too bad, because there's such a great built-in connection between the two programs with Alvarez serving as your Bobfather. Perhaps NU can hold up its end in time under Frost.

Honest question: I know Wisconsin, Iowa and Minnesota are a traditional triumvirate of rivals with some seriously cool, historic trophies—Paul Bunyan's Axe, Slab of Bacon, Floyd of Rosedale. But how do you reconcile (still) considering Minnesota a rival when they haven't held up their end of the bargain in nearly a quarter century?

I don't mean that sarcastically, nor am I trying to diss Minnesota although the fake Gopher trolls will be here soon enough. From one Larry to another, I'm genuinely curious. NU has had few true rivals in its history and the best (some would say only) one we ever had died out.

Right now NU vs NW is our most competitive game at this point....=mediocrity.

True rivalries take decades to develop. Nebraska hasn't been the BIG10 long enough to establish a true rivalry. Also Neb has not held up its end of any potential rivalry and has sucked for the most part since joining the BIG10. I know many opponents try suggest our struggle is because of joining the BIG10. It is obvious our decline started long before.
As far as a future rival. If Nebraska can get back to being Nebraska the only potential NEB vs OU type of rival I see is Wisconsin. Obviously Mich and Ohio St would be, but we don't play them frequently enough.
I know some, especially Iowa fans want Nebraska and Iowa to be a rival. I don't see them being the Neb vs OU type of rival more so the Neb vs CU type of rival.I see them as that team we dominate overall, just find them annoying and it is easy to hate.

True rivalries take decades to develop. Nebraska hasn't been the BIG10 long enough to establish a true rivalry. Also Neb has not held up its end of any potential rivalry and has sucked for the most part since joining the BIG10. I know many opponents try suggest our struggle is because of joining the BIG10. It is obvious our decline started long before.
As far as a future rival. If Nebraska can get back to being Nebraska the only potential NEB vs OU type of rival I see is Wisconsin. Obviously Mich and Ohio St would be, but we don't play them frequently enough.
I know some, especially Iowa fans want Nebraska and Iowa to be a rival. I don't see them being the Neb vs OU type of rival more so the Neb vs CU type of rival.I see them as that team we dominate overall, just find them annoying and it is easy to hate.
We want to be good again. MNGA. So you set your goals high and want to beat the best to be the best. Right now in our division that is Wisconsin. Therefore it's only fitting that they should be our intended rival. Like you said it takes time and it will take several years of us beating them and winning the west for that to happen.

Ohio State and Michigan will be like the Miami's and Florida State's that we played in the bowl games since as you said we don't play them regularly.

Can't wait. Won't come soon enough. At least I know what it's like to enjoy the glory days. I feel bad for the kids today that have never seen us be successful. Trust me kids, it's a fun ride when it happens.

Reactions: husker2612
I guess if you say so...what ever. I don’t get the point let alone give a crap. Frost will have us fixed soon enough and I’ll remember all the whining and BS going on now. Even though most of our Husker fans on this board claimed that they’d be patient, give Frost time and they’d understand the mess Riley had us in, how far Riley let us fall apart the season before and how long it would take Frost to rebuild us back up from the ground up. Funny how fast some of these “so called” true Husker fans flip on a coach. Sad :(

He has already corrected on his "facts" multiple times and has proven to be a weak troll. Highly doubt he's even an NW fan. You can feel free to give him the same attention as you would any brick wall.

2011: Northwestern wins
2012: Nebraska wins
2013: Nebraska wins
2014: Nebraska wins
2015: Northwestern wins
2016: Nebraska wins
2017: Northwestern wins

Correction: Nebraska is 4-3 vs. Northwestern.

Looks like Koolman is proven wrong again and his once-tolerated reputation takes another blow. You wouldn't think it would be that hard to research words and numbers and simply regurgitate, but looking at things and then (accurately) telling others what you saw is a skill learned over time. Laughing

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT