ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska is the first team in B1G history to commit 10 or more penalties in five straight games

Thanks to the worthless big 10 refs
Yeah those darned AAC officials too. Obviously, the spike in penalties against UCF the two years under Frost were a conspiracy. Heck, it’s followed him to the Big Ten with a spike in penalties this year compared to the last two in Lincoln.

UCF Penalties Per Game: 2015 - 5.5; 2016 - 7.2; 2017 - 8.4; 2018 - 5.5.

Nebraska Penalties Per Game: 2015 - 7.2; 2016 - 5.8; 2017 - 6.2; 2018 - 10.4.

That seems to be a trend to me.

Reactions: TheBeav815
Yeah those darned AAC officials too. Obviously, the spike in penalties against UCF the two years under Frost were a conspiracy. Heck, it’s followed him to the Big Ten with a spike in penalties this year compared to the last two in Lincoln.

UCF Penalties Per Game: 2015 - 5.5; 2016 - 7.2; 2017 - 8.4; 2018 - 5.5.

Nebraska Penalties Per Game: 2015 - 7.2; 2016 - 5.8; 2017 - 6.2; 2018 - 10.4.

That seems to be a trend to me.
How many times did Wisconsin get away with holding Iowa defensive players

That’s not good coaching.

Bad habits...we were also highly penalized last year...but were in a system with a veteran qb that the olineman were recruited for and used to...Fans do not understand how little time coaches have with kids to work on the basic fundamentals of a system and blocking scheme...March and April were spent with just basic install of the offense for the spring game... at a slower pace than usual because guys just physically were ready for the type of practices that UCF did...then the guys had "choice" work over the summer which is more 7 on 7 stuff and has very little physical work that can help with holding...and fall camp which is basically 2 weeks to catch up on things they learned in spring..then they go with installs for the first game. And they have limited practice time during the season...basically 3 days of physical work each week...2 day of walk through...with much of it being scheme preparation. We are supposed to have olineman that have gone through at least two or three spring/fall camps in the system before they play...the scheme is so different from last year in terms blocking that we effectively have freshman olineman at every position. Which shows in the number of busts and holding calls...that being said the pass protection was MUCH better against Wisky, the holding was still bad, but that will get better as the season progresses...if you see a team progress in the season, you know the coaches are doing their job...it is a very hard job to get improvement with only 3 days a week of physical practice.

Bad habits...we were also highly penalized last year...but were in a system with a veteran qb that the olineman were recruited for and used to...Fans do not understand how little time coaches have with kids to work on the basic fundamentals of a system and blocking scheme...March and April were spent with just basic install of the offense for the spring game... at a slower pace than usual because guys just physically were ready for the type of practices that UCF did...then the guys had "choice" work over the summer which is more 7 on 7 stuff and has very little physical work that can help with holding...and fall camp which is basically 2 weeks to catch up on things they learned in spring..then they go with installs for the first game. And they have limited practice time during the season...basically 3 days of physical work each week...2 day of walk through...with much of it being scheme preparation. We are supposed to have olineman that have gone through at least two or three spring/fall camps in the system before they play...the scheme is so different from last year in terms blocking that we effectively have freshman olineman at every position. Which shows in the number of busts and holding calls...that being said the pass protection was MUCH better against Wisky, the holding was still bad, but that will get better as the season progresses...if you see a team progress in the season, you know the coaches are doing their job...it is a very hard job to get improvement with only 3 days a week of physical practice.

That's a damn fine post sir. Very well said.

Reactions: chipotlehusker
Bad habits...we were also highly penalized last year...
We really weren't that horrible last year. We averaged 6.2 per game and 60 yards. We are at 10.4 with 97.4 this year. The penalties unfortunately does seem to be a trend with Frosts teams so far in his young coaching career. The big different I am seeing is total yards. At UCF last year they avg 8.4 for 68.3. In 2016 7 for 56. To me that say we are getting more large yardage penalties this year. Which tend to be personal foul. That could be due to the metal state of this team.

We really weren't that horrible last year. We averaged 6.2 per game and 60 yards. We are at 10.4 with 97.4 this year. The penalties unfortunately does seem to be a trend with Frosts teams so far in his young coaching career.

Certainly he is going to have a problem answer this question if this continues and it costs us in close games moving forward...

NW plays clean football and penalties will be a minimum next Saturday for them we can’t let penalties beat us next week...

We really weren't that horrible last year. We averaged 6.2 per game and 60 yards. We are at 10.4 with 97.4 this year. The penalties unfortunately does seem to be a trend with Frosts teams so far in his young coaching career. The big different I am seeing is total yards. At UCF last year they avg 8.4 for 68.3. In 2016 7 for 56. To me that say we are getting more large yardage penalties this year. Which tend to be personal foul. That could be due to the metal state of this team.
Thanks for the added stats.
How many times did Wisconsin get away with holding Iowa defensive players
They always get away with it. Minnesota seemed to get away with it a lot yesterday too. I’m not sure of your point when I brought up Frost’s coaching trend.

Another amazing post thanks for another insightful post! Does a batter striking out in the bottom of the 8 inning with 2 on and 2 outs kill the rally?
Only when the catcher catches the ball. Seriously though some those calls were bs, the call on Foster was as bad of a call as you can get. Teams who run outside on the perimeter and throw screens are going to be called for more holding than interior power runs teams. However, those teams hold just as much, just not called.

The penalties from last weeks game against Purdue were submitted to the BIG and the findings results were that 8 of the 11 that were called last week were bad calls

The penalties from last weeks game against Purdue were submitted to the BIG and the findings results were that 8 of the 11 that were called last week were bad calls
Really? This is pretty big news... can you provide a source? It is pretty crappy that the refs can have this big of an impact.

Reactions: ZJSARENOTFREE
Really? This is pretty big news... can you provide a source? It is pretty crappy that the refs can have this big of an impact.
Become a member of the scrolls and you will be privy to that info

Become a member of the scrolls and you will be privy to that info. To answer your question. RW

I normally don't like to blame the refs, all o linemen hold to an extent. For whatever reason we seem to be getting the extent of the holding calls while are opponents seem to be given the benefit of the doubt.

Last night nearly everything was holding or block in the back...those are the last to go, and were present in droves last year. It is mostly due to guys being overwhelmed on the offensive side of the ball. A couple were hands getting stuck in face masks and things like that which happen to all teams...As frost said, there were no stupid or selfish penalties...I am not one to complain about officiating but 3 of the big penalties were toss ups and didn't need to be called...when you are known for penalties the 50/50 calls go against you. I think we will also have a lot of penalties because of the blocking scheme and the aggression of our dbacks...the trade off will be big plays and turnovers in the long run...similar to the fact our 90s husker teams had a ton of turnovers because of the option.

Reactions: husker2612
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT