ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska is anti-clutch

RedMyMind

Assistant Head Coach
Aug 22, 2017
Minnesota - offense and defense shits the bed in the last 2 offensive/defensive moments.

Illinois - tried to give it away with a missed FG, 2 fumbles and an interception to end the game.

NW - Punt, punt, punt to end 1 score game.

Purdue - 14 unanswered points by Purdue, 7 courtesy of Sims to make things interesting.

MSU - 2 fumbles in the last 3 minutes. Sketchy officiating as well.

Maryland - Interception in the redzone, defense folds.

Wisconsin - Offense and defense shits the bed in OT.

Iowa - Offense and defense shits the bed in last minute.

It seems psychological as they don't have the confidence or the players to go make a play and win.

Reactions: cavalot
Minnesota - offense and defense shits the bed in the last 2 offensive/defensive moments.

Illinois - tried to give it away with a missed FG, 2 fumbles and an interception to end the game.

NW - Punt, punt, punt to end 1 score game.

Purdue - 14 unanswered points by Purdue, 7 courtesy of Sims to make things interesting.

MSU - 2 fumbles in the last 3 minutes. Sketchy officiating as well.

Maryland - Interception in the redzone, defense folds.

Wisconsin - Offense and defense shits the bed in OT.

Iowa - Offense and defense shits the bed in last minute.

It seems psychological as they don't have the confidence or the players to go make a play and win.
I agree especially with the older players, we don’t have anyone on either side of the ball to step up and make a play in a clutch moment

Reactions: kevingne
I agree especially with the older players, we don’t have anyone on either side of the ball to step up and make a play in a clutch moment
All of our experienced guys, especially on offense, are injured as well.

Reactions: Baxter48
Least clutch team in America, year after year after year.

2-17 in one-score games since 2021, with 42 losses in one-score games since 2014—most in the country.

Win even a modest 60% of those 42 games (well below Nebraska all-time winning pct of .679), and we’d be only 4 games behind Texas for 4th place on college football’s all-time wins list instead of 9th (where we currently are).

Those are the games we used to win routinely. We lost 6 in of them in Riley’s first year, and 5 in Frost’s first year, and now 5 in Rhule’s first year.

Something got fundamentally broken with our program’s culture when it comes to having the mental toughness and discipline to win close games. Rhule, with his heavy emphasis on fundamentals and repetition in practice, seems like an ideal candidate to reverse this trend. That jury is still out based on the personnel we have, the injuries we had, and the fact that it’s year 1 (regardless of what Northwestern’s interim coach was able to do).

But I will say this: eliminating turnovers is a huge, HUGE part of winning those close games. So hiring a coordinator whose offenses were repeatedly among the worst in the country for turnover ratio at South Carolina—and then going after a known turnover machine in Sims—are red flags that I can’t unsee. Maybe he thought he could fix Sims, but doubling down on Satt bothers me. Regardless, it’s going to be a critically important offseason for Coach Rhule.

2-17 in one-score games since 2021, with 42 losses in one-score games since 2014—most in the country.

Win even a modest 60% of those 42 games (well below Nebraska all-time winning pct of .679), and we’d be only 4 games behind Texas for 4th place on college football’s all-time wins list instead of 9th (where we currently are).

Those are the games we used to win routinely. We lost 6 in of them in Riley’s first year, and 5 in Frost’s first year, and now 5 in Rhule’s first year.

Something got fundamentally broken with our program’s culture when it comes to having the mental toughness and discipline to win close games. Rhule, with his heavy emphasis on fundamentals and repetition in practice, seems like an ideal candidate to reverse this trend. That jury is still out based on the personnel we have, the injuries we had, and the fact that it’s year 1 (regardless of what Northwestern’s interim coach was able to do).

But I will say this: eliminating turnovers is a huge, HUGE part of winning those close games. So hiring a coordinator whose offenses were repeatedly among the worst in the country for turnover ratio at South Carolina—and then going after a known turnover machine in Sims—are red flags that I can’t unsee. Maybe he thought he could fix Sims, but doubling down on Satt bothers me. Regardless, it’s going to be a critically important offseason for Coach Rhule.

Agree with this 100% and what really bothers me is two of Rhules mottos are if you turn the ball over you won’t play for me and win the fourth quarter so what happens we lead the nation in turnovers and the majority of those turnovers are in the fourth quarter. Satt has done exactly opposite of what Rhule said he wanted

We don’t have a single certified DUDE on the offensive side of the ball. A guy who can get you the catch or the tough run you need to close out a game. We simply didn’t have that this year when we needed it most.

Last edited:
Reactions: RedMyMind
Wouldn’t blame the defense for any loss other than the Michigan game. Chunk plays given up by the defense always happened after a turnover or consecutive three and outs.

That something was Steve Pedersen and his string pullers. They effectively neutered this program two decades ago, and I don't believe that we will ever recover.

Punts.jpg

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT