ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska has spent the most on firing coaches in the last 15 years

71429e50fa979d656994f1ff734fae94_were-number-one-clipart_385-480.jpeg

I love sports and want the best coaches...but it's staggering to think of how much money is pissed down the drain on these coaches' buyouts and such.

I'm not surprised by the big coaching salaries considering how much money college football generates. You've got to pay top dollar to attract the top coaching candidates. What I don't understand is how much money schools have to pay to keep failing coaches. Nebraska gave contract extensions to Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini, and Mike Riley. This is a bubble that is going to burst at some point.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Numbers do not lie. Either poor hiring decisions, no support for coaches, or a combination. Anyway you look at it, that is a lot of money that could have been used for facilities or even recruiting. Sad because it is a total waste of money.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan66
I'm not surprised by the big coaching salaries considering how much money college football generates. You've got to pay top dollar to attract the top coaching candidates. What I don't understand is how much money schools have to pay to keep failing coaches. Nebraska gave contract extensions to Bill Callahan, Bo Pelini, and Mike Riley. This is a bubble that is going to burst at some point.
When you fire this many coaches, you have to give out generous contract extensions so recruits will know you're not the kind of school that fires coaches.

Or something like that.

Oh, can we get another pissing and moaning thread started about Riley getting paid by the Beavers? Who cares. We have plenty of money and there was zero issue with what we were paying. The issue was with who we were paying it to. Pelini was a good hire at the time that didn't work out. Everyone else was a bad hire. I don't care about the money.

Reactions: kakdawg
Right this is the question that needs to be asked. Not one of those past coaches would I be happy with currently coaching. So it more comes down to the money we have wasted on shitty ADs.

Eichorst’s hustle to hire Mike Riley...reminds me so much of a line from the great Cruiser:

“I thought I’d better sign up before I got drafted.”

Reactions: tpmcg and schuele
Right this is the question that needs to be asked. Not one of those past coaches would I be happy with currently coaching. So it more comes down to the money we have wasted on shitty ADs.

TO only problem was he never wanted to pay enough money.. He always felt they he didn’t need that much money to be successful and that the next Head Coaches weren't going to get more than the market value..

Last edited:
You left out Frost.

Numbers do not lie. Either poor hiring decisions, no support for coaches, or a combination. Anyway you look at it, that is a lot of money that could have been used for facilities or even recruiting. Sad because it is a total waste of money.
Those in control, how well did they spend that money? How good were their choices?

I guess that’s what happens when you have ADs making stupid hires. I really feel Bill Moos will our and end to this all together.

Hoiberg was Elite hire and he will turn our basketball program into a respectful team.

Scott Frost was top notch hire himself, unfortunately for him he had his work cut out for him. Riley left him an absolute disaster and horrible roster management. Frost is in the middle of true and complete rebuild from the ground up (which takes time in college football).

Bolt so far appears to be a great hire too. That one was the one I was cautiously waiting to see how it played out. So far, so good. He definitely needs help at pitcher. In time...Bolt will have our Huskers leading the BIG 10 in baseball, mark it down now. GBR

I love sports and want the best coaches...but it's staggering to think of how much money is pissed down the drain on these coaches' buyouts and such.

Especially when it is completely unnecessary. I am fairly certain that the law firm the University paid to draft BC’s contract didn’t even put in a mitigation clause for the payout should he get other employment, which is beyond stupid.

Best Firing money ever spent! Who here would of rather kept all those coaches? NO ONE!!!
I honestly wouldn’t have minded keeping Billy C if he would have just dumped his D coordinator. Bill was able to recruit here and I think his offense would have done good here as well...

I honestly wouldn’t have minded keeping Billy C if he would have just dumped his D coordinator. Bill was able to recruit here and I think his offense would have done good here as well...

The constant complaining about BC's WC O was that he needed elite athletes to run it, especially at WR and QB and we couldn't get them to cold Nebraska. Hmmm, where are we now?

The Boosters are the ones that are pissed as the are the one's for years that have paid the coach's salaries while the university paid their buyouts.

Last edited:
Reactions: NikkiSixx
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT