ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska 1994 vs 1997?

zrob

Walk On
May 22, 2005
Who do you think was better or would win if the '94 Champs played the '97 Champs? I have a real hard time deciding which team was better.
The '94 team was more cohesive and had a better O-Line while the '97 team was statistically better on Offense. Both teams had very good defenses, I think '97 gave up a few less yards but the '94 team had better scoring defense. Both had great quarterbacks and running backs.

Let me ask anyone this, could the 97 team won the National title if Frost would have been held out for 2 or 3 games?

What made the 94 team unique was they won with out T Frazier and Brook.

That is why I hate comparing National title teams.

Reactions: saluno22
Let me ask anyone this, could the 97 team won the National title if Frost would have been held out for 2 or 3 games?

What made the 94 team unique was they won with out T Frazier and Brook.

That is why I hate comparing National title teams.

I think they could have won 2 or 3 games without Frost and still think they can be compared. I forgot who his backup was but even Newcombe would have played better than Matt Turman.

Reactions: saluno22
What about the Missouri game without Frost?

Not sure, but I would hope the defense would have come out and played much better knowing that Frost was out and they were relying on the backup. I imagine they would not have had near the letdown that they ended up having with Frost.

Reactions: jeans15
I’d say 1994 since they had to deal with much more adversity with the injury situation at QB. Doubt many know who the third string QB was in 1997, but most fans know who it was in 1994. Also theres something to be said about the fact that they were the team that got Tom his first national title. To me, much more pressure on the 1994 team due to the fact that they were carrying the wieght of 20+ years of failed expectations and heartache and they had come so close the year before. At that time, most of the pundits said we couldnt win the big one, and fans had doubts deep down about if we could win one as well. By 1997, things had evolved to the point that the Huskers were the most feared team in the nation. So much different circumstances to me as far as pressure and adversity.

I’d say 1994 since they had to deal with much more adversity with the injury situation at QB. Doubt many know who the third string QB was in 1997, but most fans know who it was in 1994. Also theres something to be said about the fact that they were the team that got Tom his first national title. To me, much more pressure on the 1994 team due to the fact that they were carrying the wieght of 20+ years of failed expectations and heartache and they had come so close the year before. At that time, most of the pundits said we couldnt win the big one, and fans had doubts deep down about if we could win one as well. By 1997, things had evolved to the point that the Huskers were the most feared team in the nation. So much different circumstances to me as far as pressure and adversity.

Those are some pretty good points.

I think they could have won 2 or 3 games without Frost and still think they can be compared. I forgot who his backup was but even Newcombe would have played better than Matt Turman.

Ummm...how could anyone forget about the great Frankie London/Scott Frost qb controversy of 97?

But I wish people would stop thinking we could just plug any player in there without missing a beat. Tommie Frazier was a once in a generation player and it even took him about halfway through his freshman year before he began to look capable of running the offense. Go watch some of those early games from 92 on YouTube.

Reactions: newAD and saluno22
Ummm...how could anyone forget about the great Frankie London/Scott Frost qb controversy of 97?

But I wish people would stop thinking we could just plug any player in there without missing a beat. Tommie Frazier was a once in a generation player and it even took him about halfway through his freshman year before he began to look capable of running the offense. Go watch some of those early games from 92 on YouTube.

I just think if they could plug Berringer and Turman in for Frazier you could've replaced Frost with London or Newcombe in '97 and still won games like the '94 team did by changing to a power running game with Green and play great defense like they did with LP and the defense in '94. Definitely for 2-3 games.

Who was better 94 Penn St or 97 Michigan.Smokin
michigan easily. They played excellent defense, with and underrated O. Unpopular, but I think they were the land's best team that year. However, 94 PSU was a paper bag on D, and Nebraska would have rolled them.

Just an opinion fellas

michigan easily. They played excellent defense, with and underrated O. Unpopular, but I think they were the land's best team that year. However, 94 PSU was a paper bag on D, and Nebraska would have rolled them.

Just an opinion fellas
I agree on your psu comment..but i just think NU would have won pretty easily against michigan that year too. The last game they steam rolled a very good tenn team loaded woth nfl players.. michigan barely beat a garbage washington state team... talk about overrated.. ryan leaf.. anyways jmho

Reactions: SOHusker11 and zrob
If the Penn St Offense and the '97 Michigan Defense joined as a team, the '95 Huskers would have rolled them by 25 points!!

Just an opinion fellas

Penn St was the better team in my opinion they reminded me a lot of our 1983 team. Michigan was no juggernaut on offense but Penn St was and Penn St had a more impressive season from start to finish.

Reactions: zrob
Penn St was the better team in my opinion they reminded me a lot of our 1983 team. Michigan was no juggernaut on offense but Penn St was and Penn St had a more impressive season from start to finish.

I totally agree, especially the comparison of PSU '94 to the '83 Huskers (offensive juggernauts that had less than stellar defenses).

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT