ADVERTISEMENT

Nebraska’s Nick Gates has a ‘third- or fourth-round grade,’ scout says

Good luck to the kid. It would have been interesting to see how much he would have improved under an OLine coach that didn't completely suck.

Edit - Really like seeing 2 of our young guys (Spielman and Jaimes) on that list

Last edited:
Good luck to the kid. It would have been interesting to see how much he would have improved under an OLine coach that didn't completely suck.
Ironically the fact that our last staff sucked ass probably helps him since NFL scouts will know that and see his "potential" with real coaching.

Reactions: Hoosker Du
Is it just me or does it seem like recently we've had a number of players who have been drafted in the NFL, but hardly seemed to play like future professional players during their time at Nebraska? The names Alex Lewis, Vincent Valentine, and now Nick Gates come to mind. I think it says something about the coaching they received.

Reactions: davecisar
Is it just me or does it seem like recently we've had a number of players who have been drafted in the NFL, but hardly seemed to play like future professional players during their time at Nebraska? The names Alex Lewis, Vincent Valentine, and now Nick Gates come to mind. I think it says something about the coaching they received.
It also says something about our expectations and how critical NU fans have been of some of our players.

....Niles Paul, Spencer Long, Sirles, Will Compton,

all of those guys played really well for us. Bad examples especially Long.
agree those guys dod very well with us and Valentine was also showing flashes the season before he left. I do think Gates being rated so high gives me hope for our Oline under new coaching

agree those guys dod very well with us and Valentine was also showing flashes the season before he left. I do think Gates being rated so high gives me hope for our Oline under new coaching
The play of the Oline last year was disappointing. I can't say I understand the approach or scheme that was being taken, but at the very least, it wasn't a fit for kids in the room. The group was on balance healthier than in 2016, but wasn't up to the task of protecting a QB with limited mobility. I really don't think the talent was lacking. But maybe the pieces, especially at OT, were not appropriate for a pro-style O with a statue at QB. The fact that we saw diminished productivity with a more experienced group (all had multi-game starter experience to start the season) points not to just sub-par coaching out of Cav, but a poor approach to strength training and game shape.
Many times a reset in terms of coaching pays off with better play out of the gate. Let's hope Duval and Austin can get these kids turned around before late August.

If Gates goes in the 3rd-4th round, it will just solidify the fact that he was not well coached while he was here.

#COACHINGMATTERS

Holla

Reactions: dinglefritz
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT