ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Wrestling Championship: Day 3

Badger Pete

Walk On
Dec 22, 2013
Disappointing day yesterday, but hope all that are left can shake it off and get some wins! Have to love Caleb Smith tearing through the backside. GBR!

SESSIONDATETIME (CT)SITENETWORK
Session 5Saturday, March 2310:00 a.m.T-Mobile Center ESPNU/ ESPN+
Mat 1Saturday, March 2310:00 a.m.T-Mobile CenterESPN+
Mat 2Saturday, March 2310:00 a.m.T-Mobile CenterESPN+
Mat 3Saturday, March 2310:00 a.m.T-Mobile CenterESPN+
Mat 4Saturday, March 2310:00 a.m.T-Mobile CenterESPN+
MATCASTSaturday, March 2310:00 a.m.T-Mobile CenterESPN+

SESSIONDATETIME (CT)SITENETWORK
Session 6Saturday, March 236:00 p.m.T-Mobile Center ESPN/ ESPN+

Reactions: huskerfan66
Smith loses again in sudden victory, but battled all tournament. Lovett looked disinterested in getting beat pretty bad.

eam Scores
Penn State​
155.5​
Michigan​
71.0​
Cornell​
68.5​
Iowa​
67.0​
Iowa State​
64.5​
Arizona State​
60.5​
Nebraska​
60.5​
Virginia Tech​
59.0​
Ohio State​
58.0​
Oklahoma State​
56.0​

eam Scores
Penn State​
155.5​
Michigan​
71.0​
Cornell​
68.5​
Iowa​
67.0​
Iowa State​
64.5​
Arizona State​
60.5​
Nebraska​
60.5​
Virginia Tech​
59.0​
Ohio State​
58.0​
Oklahoma State​
56.0​
Is this good for this year's team?

Dual results dont often translate to Tourney results. and vice versa. the scoring is completely different. I agree that their potential this season gave me hope for a top3-5 finish. However, The team really did wrestle well. there were just a few breaks, a few calls, few opportunities that were missed and thats all it takes to fall down the score board. There are alot of bright spots to cheer about this year and in the future. i can guarantee you that the wrestlers themselves will re live some of these matches this weekend in their minds for many months to come.

Tournament scoring favors teams with a couple wrestlers capable of getting to and winning the finals over, teams like Nebraska, with good to very good wrestlers throughout the 10 weight classes. Nebraska was hurt badly by Ridge Lovett's poor showing which detracted more than better than expected showings by Caleb Smith (6th) and Brock Hardy (3rd). Not getting points from top 8 finishes at 184 and 197 hurt too.

here is how it shook out

one could say that NC state had a worse weekend as they were predicted to end up #2
Team Scores
Penn State​
172.5​
Cornell​
72.5​
Michigan​
71.0​
Iowa State​
68.5​
Iowa​
67.0​
Arizona State​
64.5​
Virginia Tech​
64.0​
Ohio State​
62.0​
Nebraska​
60.5​
Oklahoma State​
56.0​
Missouri​
49.5​
NC State​
49.5​
South Dakota State​
48.5​
Northern Iowa​
39.5​
Lehigh​
36.5​

We finished 3rd in the B10 tourney ahead of Iowa. Look at the points from 2nd through 10th and it is just a couple of matches here and there.

On the other hand, was this Penn State team arguably the best of all time?
Showed that the team is close to the top. Had some better results within conference for sure. At nationals some guys underperformed for whatever reason. Some did better for sure.

Penn state, not sure if all time elite team but the points say so. Note notification an expert to make that level of review

My predictions for NU qualifiers from the Day 1 thread are below. We had a couple wrestlers outperform, but Lovett, Pinto, and Allred not placing as high as their potential probably cost us a top 4 place. Actual results are in ().

125 Smith does not place (6th)
133 Van Dee gets 5th place and earns AA (DNP)
141 Hardy gets 7th place and earns AA (3rd)
149 Lovett gets 1st place and is National Champion (6th)
157 Robb gets 8th place and earns AA (7th)
165 Taylor does not place (but a darkhorse to earn AA) (8th)
184 Pinto gets 3rd place and earns AA (DNP)
197 Allred gets 4th place and earns AA (DNP)
285 Polar Bear does not place (DNP)

So, Huskers earn 6 AA with 1 as national champ. Thinking that carries us into a top 5 place. Hardy, Robb, and Taylor likely determine if top 5 or top 10 as a team. (So we ended up with 5 AA. Unfortunately not enough with a higher place. Hardy, Robb, and Taylor did their job. Lovett winning his semi match, and then Pinto and Allred placing would have given us quite a few more points.)

My predictions for NU qualifiers from the Day 1 thread are below. We had a couple wrestlers outperform, but Lovett, Pinto, and Allred not placing as high as their potential probably cost us a top 4 place. Actual results are in ().

125 Smith does not place (6th)
133 Van Dee gets 5th place and earns AA (DNP)
141 Hardy gets 7th place and earns AA (3rd)
149 Lovett gets 1st place and is National Champion (6th)
157 Robb gets 8th place and earns AA (7th)
165 Taylor does not place (but a darkhorse to earn AA) (8th)
184 Pinto gets 3rd place and earns AA (DNP)
197 Allred gets 4th place and earns AA (DNP)
285 Polar Bear does not place (DNP)

So, Huskers earn 6 AA with 1 as national champ. Thinking that carries us into a top 5 place. Hardy, Robb, and Taylor likely determine if top 5 or top 10 as a team. (So we ended up with 5 AA. Unfortunately not enough with a higher place. Hardy, Robb, and Taylor did their job. Lovett winning his semi match, and then Pinto and Allred placing would have given us quite a few more points.)
@PvilleHuskerTim: Like I said when you prediction was first made, we would have been 2nd or 3rd. Still, a great season and great building blocks for next year. Great job with predictions and glad there is still interest in the sport among us posters!

Thanks!

here is how it shook out

one could say that NC state had a worse weekend as they were predicted to end up #2
Team Scores
Penn State​
172.5​
Cornell​
72.5​
Michigan​
71.0​
Iowa State​
68.5​
Iowa​
67.0​
Arizona State​
64.5​
Virginia Tech​
64.0​
Ohio State​
62.0​
Nebraska​
60.5​
Oklahoma State​
56.0​
Missouri​
49.5​
NC State​
49.5​
South Dakota State​
48.5​
Northern Iowa​
39.5​
Lehigh​
36.5​
It has been YEARS since I coached wrestling. Just how far ahead is PSU compared to everyone else? Like, do they just win every year now?

I feel like Lehigh is a bit lower than usual?

It has been YEARS since I coached wrestling. Just how far ahead is PSU compared to everyone else? Like, do they just win every year now?

I feel like Lehigh is a bit lower than usual?

PSU is way, way, way above everyone else. It is not even close. Earlier this year they had 9 of 10 weight classes with top 10 wrestlers — and the one who wasn’t top 10 was rated 11th. Most of them were top 5 with multiple weights having the top rated wrestler.

PSU is way, way, way above everyone else. It is not even close. Earlier this year they had 9 of 10 weight classes with top 10 wrestlers — and the one who wasn’t top 10 was rated 11th. Most of them were top 5 with multiple weights having the top rated wrestler.
It has got to kill Iowa that PSU is so far ahead of them.

Sanderson has already won 11 titles at PSU, is that right? My god.

Reactions: Badger Pete
NCAA wrestling is one sport that the transfer portal is more about moving to another school because of coaching and the wrestling room, rather than not starting. Many of the transfers occur 4th and 5th year.

Cael not only has the most dominate freshman class every year, he also picks up stud transfers. Max Dean and Bernie Truax are examples.

Reactions: PvilleHuskerTim
NCAA wrestling is one sport that the transfer portal is more about moving to another school because of coaching and the wrestling room, rather than not starting. Many of the transfers occur 4th and 5th year.

Cael not only has the most dominate freshman class every year, he also picks up stud transfers. Max Dean and Bernie Truax are examples.
I’m impressed when kids win a title, despite not being in the best room day after day. i.e. Andrew Alirez from N Colorado and Parker Keckeisen from Northern Iowa.

Reactions: Badger Pete
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT