ADVERTISEMENT

NCAA Tournament Projections (5/30)

Alum-Ni

Administrator
Gold Member
Aug 29, 2004
Minor update from Baseball America going into conference tournament championship games. BA now has Michigan out of the tournament and the Big Ten as just a two-bid league.

LAST FOUR IN
Alabama
LSU
Fairfield
Campbell

FIRST FOUR OUT
Georgia
Louisville
Long Beach State
Michigan

NEXT FOUR OUT

Ball State
San Diego
Northeastern
Florida Atlantic

NASHVILLE REGIONAL
#1 Vanderbilt (2)
#4 Presbyterian

#2 Maryland
#3 Wright State

=======================

FORT WORTH REGIONAL
#1 TCU
#4 Army

#2 Nebraska
#3 Dallas Baptist

Well, now I'm guessing we'll be on the conference's shit list for aiding to Michigan and Indiana being knocked out of the tournament.

I hope we make a deep run.

Well, now I'm guessing we'll be on the conference's shit list for aiding to Michigan and Indiana being knocked out of the tournament.

I hope we make a deep run.
The B1G hierarchy can GF itself, they just don't want DONU to win anything at all and I'm glad it pisses them off that we destroyed this conference including the B1G and media darling Shitchicken. There ain't shit the B1G can do about it either!

Reactions: saluno22
D1Baseball's May 30 projection

LAST FIVE IN
60. Liberty
61. Fairfield
62. UC-Santa Barbara
63. North Carolina
64. LSU

FIRST FIVE OUT
65. Georgia
66. Ball State
67. Kansas State
68. Alabama
69. San Diego

AUSTIN REGIONAL
#1 Texas (3)
#4 Bryant

#2 Connecticut
#3 Michigan

=========================

TUCSON REGIONAL
#1 Arizona (5)
#4 Grand Canyon

#2 Maryland
#3 UC-Santa Barbara

=========================

EUGENE REGIONAL
#1 Oregon (11)
#4 North Dakota State

#2 Nebraska
#3 Duke

The B1G hierarchy can GF itself, they just don't want DONU to win anything at all and I'm glad it pisses them off that we destroyed this conference including the B1G and media darling Shitchicken. There ain't shit the B1G can do about it either!
Knowing there is no true rhyme or reason to how baseball schedules are made, I'm excited to see what hand we're dealt next season.

You know, there will be a lot of "TV inventory" series. Frankly I don't mind it, iron sharpens iron; I just wish the conference had some public logical method to how opponents are determined.

Question, in your opinion, have we been moved up or down in this latest projection?

We were at Gonzaga and opposite Vandy, now were at Oregon opposite South Bend. How do you rate our move?

We definitely dropped as a seed, with a better draw in SR. How we dropped is mind boggling laughable. D1 sucks off Michigan all year and now, zero write-ups about our series win over them. Maybe I missed their coverage though.

Reactions: huskerfan66
We definitely dropped as a seed, with a better draw in SR. How we dropped is mind boggling laughable. D1 sucks off Michigan all year and now, zero write-ups about our series win over them. Maybe I missed their coverage though.
I'm just trying to understand, are you saying that the two seeds are ranked (I didn't know that) and we were higher ranked by being in the Gonzaga regional? Did we lose ranking by going to Eugene?

Also, what is SR? Can't work that out.

Reactions: huskerfan66

I’ll gladly take the Oregon regional. Hroch against Duke. Povich against Oregon.

I'm just trying to understand, are you saying that the two seeds are ranked (I didn't know that) and we were higher ranked by being in the Gonzaga regional? Did we lose ranking by going to Eugene?

Old mindset, are 2 seeds not ranked?

If they are then yes, we were a higher seed in the Gonzaga regional. Zags were #15 overall, would make us #18 overall. Now, heading to #11 Oregon makes us #22 overall.

If they aren't based on that, I learned something new today.

If they are then yes, we were a higher seed in the Gonzaga regional. Zags were #15 overall, would make us #18 overall. Now, heading to #11 Oregon makes us #22 overall.

Technically only the top 16 seeds are ranked in order. The rest are paired up for a verity of reasons, geography fit being one. We’ve earned a 2 seed but all 2 seeds are “equal” in the mind of the NCAA.

Reactions: k9_r

I prefer the TCU regional but I didn't look at super matchup it was Tenn

It's not like basketball, not at all. In fact, committees have refused to seed all 64 teams since always. They only, reluctantly, expanded seeding from 8 to 16 a couple years ago.

Technically only the top 16 seeds are ranked in order. The rest are paired up for a verity of reasons, geography fit being one. We’ve earned a 2 seed but all 2 seeds are “equal” in the mind of the NCAA.

Interesting, are they on the record saying that? I'm not questioning ya, just trying to learn more. If that's the case though, the projections shouldn't be adjusted then. Right, wrong? A 2 seed is a 2 seed and we should be headed for Fayetteville. But the more we won against quality opponents in the B1G standings, the geography changed from Arkansas to Arizona/Washington/Oregon - which coincidentally were lower seeds, which leads me to geography is a cover. Hopefully that makes sense.

Heading out for awhile, would like to know more.

Interesting, are they on the record saying that? I'm not questioning ya, just trying to learn more. If that's the case though, the projections shouldn't be adjusted then. Right, wrong? A 2 seed is a 2 seed and we should be headed for Fayetteville. But the more we won against quality opponents in the B1G standings, the geography changed from Arkansas to Arizona/Washington/Oregon - which coincidentally were lower seeds, which leads me to geography is a cover. Hopefully that makes sense.

I get your logic and what I've noticed is that is that the "2 is a 2" thing is a bit of a bluff. They do refuse to seed anything beyond the 16 (and there has been much pushing for them to finish the seeding for years) but, in fact, there is a lot of rewarding and punishing going on behind the scenes. Secret seeding?

Also, the geography thing is slowly slipping aside. Teams from both the West and the SE have carped long and loud about playing the same teams in the same regionals over and over.

Still, the 2, 3 and 4 seeds remain officially unsorted. I know I wouldn't want to seed a double elimination tournament and have egg all over my face when the results come in. It can be a real crap shoot.

Reactions: Hskrbsbl2020

@k9_r explains it about as well as I could. Geography is one of the reasons they state but I have noticed it mattering less and less the last few years.

They do play some politics. For example, we will get some preferential treatment next year if we do well in the regionals and even make a super. Just like Michigan seemed to get all year. It is very much reputation based.

They will also protect the higher seeds like Arkansas by not sending us to that regional. Which is probably why D1 is predicting us to be paired up in that 7-12 range now. Maybe throwing the Big Ten champs a bone even though they have no idea how we really rank nationally?

At the end of the day I don’t know if anyone will ever understand the selection committee. Laughing

Projections aren't all that accurate. IIRC D1Baseball and Baseball America had Nebraska in, like, Atlanta and Starkville (not sure which publication said which) in 2019 and those were their final projections. Nebraska ended up in OKC 🤷‍♂️

Finish 7-5 against Illinois, Northwestern & Michigan State 🤣 then result to social media begging. Embarrassing.

Reactions: k9_r
26 games in the conference may be a big deal most seasons but not this season. Normally play less than 25 games in conference. But when your only games are in conference, then 26 isn't a great number. Should have said something like "dont let the decisions made from our league office negatively affect these players. This team is good enough to be a low seed in the regionals".

It does make you wonder if they will use RPI or not. If they did then Iowa is ranked 3rd in the conference in RPI, behind Nebraska and Maryland. Based on RPI Indiana is for sure out as they sit behind Michigan and Ohio State.

RPI benefited South Carolina as a host over Gonzaga, right? At least that's what was mentioned during the B1G title game tonight. I understand one of the D1 Baseball guys was on the call, but damn the slobber knocker of the B12 was a little too much. Yes, it's a good conference (#2 overall, per RPI) but seriously - only 4 teams will make it? Something smells to me.

Top heavy, for sure.

Sure would like to see B1G teams go after B12 teams early in the year...

Nebraska v Texas @ Astros
Maryland v TCU @ Round Rock
Michigan v Texas Tech @ Astros
Indiana v Oklahoma State @ Round Rock
Ioa v Kansas State @ Bismark, North Dakota

Same dang good opportunities for both conferences. Especially the B1G. One day I'm hopeful FOX will get involved and start promoting B1G baseball. Commit to it for 5 years. One has to spend money to (eventually) make money. Maybe the next AD will pay attention to baseball, as we're in desperate need for upgrades to the locker-room. And quite frankly, the AG Center as well.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT