ADVERTISEMENT

Nate Stanley working with cold, wet balls this week.....

Newbomb_Turk1

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 22, 2019
in practice. Taking a page out of the PJ Fleck playbook to prepare for the conditions. Any word from Lincoln if they decided this time around to follow suit?

in practice. Taking a page out of the PJ Fleck playbook to prepare for the conditions. Any word from Lincoln if they decided this time around to follow suit?

They've practiced in a winter conditions for the last two days without clothes. If a player drops a pass, fumbles a ball, or misses a tackle, Frost forces them to dip their balls in ice cold water.

Cold wet balls. Hehehe. Shrinkage is probably an issue.
Reminds me of crossing waist deep fast flowing mountain streams on foot. After the first couple of seconds of pain everything just goes numb. When you can see the snow pack a few hundred yards from you that it's melting off of, it's cold. Lots of shrinkage.

They've practiced in a winter conditions for the last two days without clothes. If a player drops a pass, fumbles a ball, or misses a tackle, Frost forces them to dip their balls in ice cold water.

More player mismanagement :eek:

Reactions: jeans15
Hey Newbomb, where’s you El Camino? I’m not sure whether you’re a troll or a fan but I do like your reference to Hollywood Knights. Well done.

I actually feel pretty good about this game. Iowa is like Wiscy without Jonathan Taylor. We'll be able to keep it competitive and if we get a few breaks I could see us stealing this one from the Squawks.

The only comparison between Iowa and Wisconsin is their preference of a Pro Style QB and 12 personnel.

The Badgers are a tried and true Power Offense which runs almost exclusively a Gap Blocking scheme. That asks the linemen to go man on man, hat on hat. They want to put you on your ass every play.

Iowa runs almost exclusively a Zone Blocking scheme. They're going to block to an area, and will continually hit you with Stretch play after stretch play.

This season in particular, Iowa has really struggled to run the ball because Zone Blocking teams need smaller more athletic Interior linemen along with an athletic and near Mensa freak at Center. The Hawks don't have a good Center this season, and their Guards lack the quickness/footwork to execute their scheme.

Wisconsin, on the other hand, has continued to manufacture 330 freaks who can move small mountains and pillage communities.

Now both teams will use play action, run a lot of TE drag plays, and place a lot of focus on the Short to Intermediate passing game. Iowa has been less effective in that that regard this season because teams just aren't scared of their run game. Ironically, Stanley is a better QB than Coan at Wisconsin, but Stanley doesn't get the same level of help. And while Iowa is a little better than normal at WR this season, the Badgers are still better outside the numbers.

Iowa wants to play physical, but they don't really physically manhandle opponents like Wisconsin on the offensive side of the football. If Iowa is successful in the run game, it's because they've caught you undisciplined, guessing, and completely out smarted you. If the Badgers are successful in the run game, it's because they kicked your ass physically.

I'm interested to see how Darrion Daniels effects this game. The last two years, Iowa must have been laughing at film knowing Mick Stoltenberg was not physically capable of defending a stretch run or knocking it off schedule. Daniels is a different type athlete with exceptional feet and capable of blowing up a stretch play before it starts. The added depth should also help as well. And Nebraska will need it because the linebackers can still be taken out of a play with ease.

The only comparison between Iowa and Wisconsin is their preference of a Pro Style QB and 12 personnel.

The Badgers are a tried and true Power Offense which runs almost exclusively a Gap Blocking scheme. That asks the linemen to go man on man, hat on hat. They want to put you on your ass every play.

Iowa runs almost exclusively a Zone Blocking scheme. They're going to block to an area, and will continually hit you with Stretch play after stretch play.

This season in particular, Iowa has really struggled to run the ball because Zone Blocking teams need smaller more athletic Interior linemen along with an athletic and near Mensa freak at Center. The Hawks don't have a good Center this season, and their Guards lack the quickness/footwork to execute their scheme.

Wisconsin, on the other hand, has continued to manufacture 330 freaks who can move small mountains and pillage communities.

Now both teams will use play action, run a lot of TE drag plays, and place a lot of focus on the Short to Intermediate passing game. Iowa has been less effective in that that regard this season because teams just aren't scared of their run game. Ironically, Stanley is a better QB than Coan at Wisconsin, but Stanley doesn't get the same level of help. And while Iowa is a little better than normal at WR this season, the Badgers are still better outside the numbers.

Iowa wants to play physical, but they don't really physically manhandle opponents like Wisconsin on the offensive side of the football. If Iowa is successful in the run game, it's because they've caught you undisciplined, guessing, and completely out smarted you. If the Badgers are successful in the run game, it's because they kicked your ass physically.

I'm interested to see how Darrion Daniels effects this game. The last two years, Iowa must have been laughing at film knowing Mick Stoltenberg was not physically capable of defending a stretch run or knocking it off schedule. Daniels is a different type athlete with exceptional feet and capable of blowing up a stretch play before it starts. The added depth should also help as well. And Nebraska will need it because the linebackers can still be taken out of a play with ease.

I was looking at it from a talent standpoint, not so much scheme.

Reactions: spinner4
what about the PSI? are the cold wet balls properly inflated or customized? just get the damn busses to 10th & Vine by kickoff so we have some cold wet azzes to kick! - now go away

Nate Stanley, Tristan Wirfs, and Alaric Jackson are the only Iowa offensive players who could start for Wisconsin in 2019.

A talent comparison makes even less sense.

Disagree. Talent on their 2-deep is comparable. Obviously Wiscy has a huge edge at RB and I like their QBs and WRs a little better, but overall I think they are pretty similar when it comes to talent with Wiscy having a slight edge.

Reactions: RothMatt
Disagree. Talent on their 2-deep is comparable. Obviously Wiscy has a huge edge at RB and I like their QBs and WRs a little better, but overall I think they are pretty similar when it comes to talent with Wiscy having a slight edge.

Not even close to accurate offensively.

I think Iowa is better at 8 spots defensively, but nowhere close on offense this season.

Reactions: Top_Gun_
Not even close to accurate offensively.

I think Iowa is better at 8 spots defensively, but nowhere close on offense this season.

Agree to disagree. I don't think they're that far off offensively (Taylor being the obvious exception). Wiscy is definitely in better shape at QB with Coan and Mertz too I guess.

Hey Newbomb, where’s you El Camino? I’m not sure whether you’re a troll or a fan but I do like your reference to Hollywood Knights. Well done.
Hollywood Knights: one of the best movies. Hard to find it but worth it if you ever get a chance to find a copy. You’ll laugh your ass off! One of the better lines: “I’ve had that taste in my mouth before!”

Reactions: Lars72
Hollywood Knights: one of the best movies. Hard to find it but worth it if you ever get a chance to find a copy. You’ll laugh your ass off! One of the better lines: “I’ve had that taste in my mouth before!”
“You squirrels better have some nuts in your mouth or you’re going downtown!”

Pretty spot on, except for the critique of the center. It’s the guards. Center is solid, and Nebraska would be happy to have him, even with the ‘next Dave Remington’ currently starting

Pretty spot on, except for the critique of the center. It’s the guards. Center is solid, and Nebraska would be happy to have him, even with the ‘next Dave Remington’ currently starting

Jurgens has already surpassed him. Don't listen to the Group think on this board. Cam Jurgens is an elite player. A year from now, he will be 310 with abs and 1st Team All Big Ten.

Outside of RB, I think they're pretty close but there is a huge gap between the OCs. Iowa's QB is much better than Coan.

that’s because Coan is starting his first year and Nate is a senior with several years of starting. I wouldn’t say he’s better, just had better experience then Coan.

And sorry, Iowa isn’t close to Wisconsin talent wise. There’s a reason Wisconsin has owned Iowa for how many years in a row, 5 years running? Wisconsin has the better defense and offense.

This years game, the score was close but the stats wasn’t. Wisconsin put up almost 480 (dam near 500) total yards of offense against Iowa’s defense (300 of it rushing) while Iowa barely squeaked out 295 total yards of offense (a whopping 85 yards of rushing lol). J Taylor was averaging over 8.1 yards per carry against Iowa.

I still remember the 2017 Wisconsin vs Iowa game. Wisconsin put up almost 400 total yards of offense to Iowa’s whopping 66 total yards of offense (lmfao)...Sorry, the talent isn’t close...never has been and never will be.

Last edited:
Jurgens has already surpassed him. Don't listen to the Group think on this board. Cam Jurgens is an elite player. A year from now, he will be 310 with abs and 1st Team All Big Ten.

No he is not. Both are freshman. Linderbaum is better.

that’s because Coan is a freshman starting his first year and Nate is a senior with several years of starting. I’d argue Coan will be the better QB of the two when he’s a junior then Nate was as a junior or senior.
Coan is a junior.

Reactions: SWIowahawks
agreed, Jurgens is doing what he’s done under weight and brand new to the position. Give Jurgens another year or two, he will be the clear cut better center of the two.

Linderbaum was the big ten center of the week more than once, and was the national center of the week after playing Minnesota, according to PFF. But he’ll somehow improve slower than Jurgens? Come on. As I say this I’m watching James Daniels start for Chicago.

Coan has never passed the eye test when I see him, but his stats are really impressive. 72% completion percentage and 15 TD to only 4 INT.

Reactions: huskerssalts
Linderbaum was the big ten center of the week more than once, and was the national center of the week after playing Minnesota, according to PFF. But he’ll somehow improve slower than Jurgens? Come on. As I say this I’m watching James Daniels start for Chicago.

Again ones playing under sized and under weight and brand new to the position while the other has played center for how many years now? I’d hope the one would do a little better now. And how many of those honors was due to a great Oline play by Wisconsin as a whole? Sorry, Jurgens will definitely be the better center of the two a year or two from now.

Again ones playing under sized, under weight and brand new to the position while the other has played center for how many years now? I’d hope the one would do a little better now. And how many of those honors was due to a great Oline play by Wisconsin as a whole? Sorry, Jurgens will definitely be the better center of the two a year or two from now.

They’ve started at center the same number of times. Last year linderbaum played defensive tackle (the position he was recruited for) for a couple games via redshirt. What else you got

They’ve started at center the same number of times. Last year linderbaum played defensive tackle (the position he was recruited for) for a couple games via redshirt. What else you got

And I’m sure he played on the Oline as well. Most of those high school players play both ways. As hard as your trying to not give Jurgens credit, its not working. Cam is still brand new to the center spot and has played under weight and sized all season. His only knock was high snaps and he’s improved that. Cam Jurgens definitely has the higher ceiling of the two.

actually now that I went to Wisconsin’s roster to look into their starting center better, all I’m seeing is a RS Junior Biadaz as their starting center and he’s backed up by a RS senior Erdmann. Where the hell is this FRESHMAN center Wisconsin has starting because I’m not finding him anywhere. Everything I’m seeing in Wisconsin’s two deep on the Oline is full of seniors, juniors and sophomores. I couldn’t find one freshman in the two deep.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bu...chart-released-for-week-4-michigan-wolverines

Reactions: dinglefritz
And I’m sure he played on the Oline as well. Most of those high school players play both ways. As hard as your trying to not give Jurgens credit, its not working. Cam is still brand new to the center spot and has played under weight and sized all season. His only knock was high snaps and he’s improved that. Cam Jurgens definitely has the higher ceiling of the two.

I’m sure Jurgens will be great and I’m even more sure our offense is better. It’s possible to concede their player and position development is better without feeling insecure.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT