ADVERTISEMENT

Nasty Christmas present

dinglefritz

Nebraska Legend
Jan 14, 2011
A good chunk of my fam has a stomach bug picked up at a family gathering with people attending from all over the country. I had to stay home to thaw out livestock waterers and feed the beasts so fortunately so far I haven’t gotten it……yet. I guess there’s some benefit to being a semi-retired hobby farmer. So much for the tenderloin Christmas dinner this afternoon☹️

A good chunk of my fam has a stomach bug picked up at a family gathering with people attending from all over the country. I had to stay home to thaw out livestock waterers and feed the beasts so fortunately so far I haven’t gotten it……yet. I guess there’s some benefit to being a semi-retired hobby farmer. So much for the tenderloin Christmas dinner this afternoon☹️
Take care my friend and make a couple of drinks and have a Merry Christmas..

That’s not fun. We have a busted pipe and an almost flooded house for Christmas. Water pouring in from under the kitchen cabinets. Luckily we were home when it popped last night or things would’ve been real fugly.

Maybe they got food poisoning? Yeah it sucks when family gets sick during Christmas

Reactions: Laner2
That’s not fun. We have a busted pipe and an almost flooded house for Christmas. Water pouring in from under the kitchen cabinets. Luckily we were home when it popped last night or things would’ve been real fugly.
So sorry to hear that. We came back from a vacation one time to 6 inches of water in our lower level and water running out a walkout door 3 blocks down the hill to a creek. Had to pull carpet, replace trim and fix several feet of sheetrock. Somebody told me once that they always turn off the water to their house if they’re going to be gone for just a night

Plant based agriculture = working smarter, not harder

bummer.

Reactions: jteten
I just got done getting over whatever sickness I had.

Headache, fever of 101.7, body aches, fatigue, sinus pressure, no cough, no sore throat, and I think I shit myself accidentally a few times.

A lazy 3 days and popped an ibuprofen a few times.

Plant based agriculture = working smarter, not harder
My cows are my physical and mental therapy. Another of my favorite sayings is “the more I’m around people the more I like my cows”. It sure as hell isn’t because I’m getting rich having them. The day is getting closer though when I’m not going to physically be able to do it anymore and I don’t want the payroll paperwork headaches from having employees again

Headache, fever of 101.7, body aches, fatigue, sinus pressure, no cough, no sore throat, and I think I shit myself accidentally a few times.

Take some colloidal silver.

Stay healthy! And are your livestock water tanks too far away from a power source to use heaters? I run 350 yards of heavy duty extension cords out to my water tanks for our sheep, goats, and chickens.

Take some colloidal silver.
I took some zinc, magnesium, choline, b1, b12, methylfolate, betaine, molybdenum, selenium.

Not sure it was covid or what but ordinary colds don't raise temps over 100. Not the flu I don't think either.

Reactions: Laner2
Stay healthy! And are your livestock water tanks too far away from a power source to use heaters? I run 350 yards of heavy duty extension cords out to my water tanks for our sheep, goats, and chickens.
They’re supposedly “frost free” and there’s a heat tape on the valves. The issue is 50-60 below wind chill freezes the ball floats in the openings so the critters can’t push them down to drink. They’re plastic so you have to be careful with heat bulbs or elements inside them. They work great as long as it stays above zero.

Last edited:
Reactions: Pennsyhusker
My cows are my physical and mental therapy. Another of my favorite sayings is “the more I’m around people the more I like my cows”. It sure as hell isn’t because I’m getting rich having them. The day is getting closer though when I’m not going to physically be able to do it anymore and I don’t want the payroll paperwork headaches from having employees again
drive em to dodge

• Haha
Reactions: dinglefritz
Personally I prefer corn and soybeans. Don't have to worry about corn getting out and I certainly don't miss thawing drinkers in sub zero weather.

True, growing corn has it's unique set of problems like hauling a broken gear box on a pivot through a muddy corn field on a 100 degree day. However, that beats thawing drinkers on a sub zero day anytime IMO.

Personally I prefer corn and soybeans. Don't have to worry about corn getting out and I certainly don't miss thawing drinkers in sub zero weather.

True, growing corn has it's unique set of problems like hauling a broken gear box on a pivot through a muddy corn field on a 100 degree day. However, that beats thawing drinkers on a sub zero day anytime IMO.
I like growing corn but detest beans. I’m terribly allergic to beans and then there’s nothing to stop the snow. On top of that they don’t give me anything to graze my cows on. IF I give up anything it will be row crops before the cows. I’m a nurturer.

Reactions: moralvictories
I was almost certain you were going to say someone gave you an Iowa sweatshirt or an autographed brain ferentz photo.

Get well soon and take care of those glorious beasts.
🎄

I like growing corn but detest beans. I’m terribly allergic to beans and then there’s nothing to stop the snow. On top of that they don’t give me anything to graze my cows on. IF I give up anything it will be row crops before the cows. I’m a nurturer.
I like row crops except for Milo. Too itchy for me, 😂😂😂😂😂.

I don't know which emoti to use. It sucks that you got sick but pooping yourself a few times while sicker than a dog is kinda.....funny (sorry, I know that's wrong but I still can't help grinning a little.) Been there myself.

Anyway, glad you're feeling better.

Yep had my waterer issues already too this year. Hopefully through the worst for the season

I don't know which emoti to use. It sucks that you got sick but pooping yourself a few times while sicker than a dog is kinda.....funny (sorry, I know that's wrong but I still can't help grinning a little.) Been there myself.

I got Montezuma's revenge in Mexico in '92 the same day I was flying back to the States. Have you ever had a blow torch shooting out of your ass for 2 days?

Sorry to hear. I've been opening the cabinets and dishwasher door the last few days for fear of just that outcome. Friend of mine had his dishwasher line freeze a few years ago during a big chill. Big mess.

I got Montezuma's revenge in Mexico in '92 the same day I was flying back to the States. Have you ever had a blow torch shooting out of your ass for 2 days?
Why yes. Yes I have. Ended up in the hospital on IV nutrition and lost over 30 lbs in a week that I didn’t have to lose. When the nuns at the catholic hospital are sitting praying over a Lutheran at night you know you’re in bad shape.

Last edited:

You "think" you shit yourself? I'm pretty sure you'd know for sure! LOL glad you're over it!

It's all good. I must have forced it and paid the piper. ;)
That wasn't Shepherd's pie in my knickers.

• Haha
Reactions: libbity bibbity
Sorry to hear. I've been opening the cabinets and dishwasher door the last few days for fear of just that outcome. Friend of mine had his dishwasher line freeze a few years ago during a big chill. Big mess.
For many years when it starts to get cold, we just turn the bathtub faucet on to a slow trickle. We also open the cabinets under the bathroom sinks as well as the kitchen sink to allow warmer air to circulate. We let that water trickle until the weather warms up and then another couple of weeks as the ground thaws.

Have not had an issue, and there's no appreciable cost in the water bill.

Why yes. Yes I have. Ended up in the hospital on IV nutrition and list over 30 lbs in a week that I didn’t have to lose. When the nuns at the catholic hospital are sitting praying over a Lutheran at night you know you’re in bad shape.
There you go dingle, there's our connection. LOL

• Haha
may dad had a wood burning tank heater it actually worked pretty decent. He did cover part of the tank with plywood to keep the heat in

Yeah, I think that’s where it’s at. Only things that froze were the dishwasher and unspaira shower. Of course when the shower turned on, the shower cartridge cracked so I had to fix that as well. Holly jolly good times!!!

Reactions: cornhustler
For many years when it starts to get cold, we just turn the bathtub faucet on to a slow trickle. We also open the cabinets under the bathroom sinks as well as the kitchen sink to allow warmer air to circulate. We let that water trickle until the weather warms up and then another couple of weeks as the ground thaws.

Have not had an issue, and there's no appreciable cost in the water bill.
We dropped the ball on the trickle. Too late and paying for it now. Hadn’t happened in 6 years in this house so got complacent.

• Sad
Hang in there. Not good with everyone sock.
Try to have a Merry Christmas

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT