ADVERTISEMENT

My Breakdown of Every Projected Starter (Warning: Long)

Frostitution

All-American
Gold Member
Aug 3, 2010
Omaha
I thought I would just take what I've gathered and give a brief breakdown of each projected started, both offense and defense. Granted some of these guys might not be in the starting lineup come September 3, but I'm going off what Sean said a couple days ago.

Offense:

QB- Tommy Armstrong
- At this point in his career we know what we are going to get from Tommy, that is a quarterback with a cannon for an arm and a fierce competitor. However, we also know he is susceptible to turnovers and making bone-headed decisions. With that being said, I really like what I've been hearing about getting him more involved in the running game as I think that will relieve some of the turnovers we have been seeing. Tommy is most comfortable on the run and I think that is because when he's out of the pocket he doesn't have to think as much, he just reacts. That's when athletes such as himself are at their best. I feel confident in saying I think we see a much improved TA this year.

RB- Devine Ozigbo
- This is one that is kind of in the air at the moment. We obviously all know that there are essentially two guys that are in the running to be the "feature back". Yeah, Mikale is in there as well I just don't think the coaching staff thinks he is an every down back at this point. (Note: I think Mikale is a hell of a running back who should get more tugs). With that being said, I see Devine taking over the position by Week 3. He has a wonderful set of attributes that I don't see from TN. First is vision. Ozigbo has a great combination of size and agility too that sets him apart. The guy is built like a linebacker for crying out loud. I think we just caught a glimpse of what he can do in the Foster Farms Bowl.

FB - Luke McNitt
- McNitt first and foremost from what I have been told is as strong as an ox in the weight room. I think that Nebraska got a solid fullback when he transferred from UNK. The question is how is Nebraska going to utilize him after what we saw from Andy Janovich last year. McNitt can be counted on to bring better hands to the position as he was a former Tight End. Also, don't count out Graham Nabity in this race either.

TE - Cethan Carter
- I've been high on Cethan since he arrived on campus and now he's showing exactly why that is the case. He does it all. Not only does CC have great hands, but the guy is absolute mauler when it comes to blocking. We have seen what he can do against some of the best in the country (i.e. Shilique Calhoun). He's a very quiet and laid back individual off of the field, however when he steps on it, he's anything buy quiet. He plays with an edge and it shows. I look for him to have a monster season and be right alongside Jake Butt as one of the Tight Ends not only in the Big 10, but in the country as well. Look for him to be drafted in the middle rounds.

WR - Jordan Westerkamp
- Mr. Hands himself. It's hard to believe that 4 years has flown by already for JW. Arguably the best pair of hands I have ever seen play for Nebraska, it's hard to find someone who you feel more confident making a big play than Westerkamp. We have seen it all from him, flashy catches, precision route running, reliable hands on both offense and special teams. When you need a reception on 3rd and 8, this is the guy you want. There isn't much more to say than that.

WR- Stanley Morgan
- I am very excited to see what Stan can do in year 2 of this offense. He was very impressive in his time last year as a true freshman. He has incredible strength in his hands which allows him to make plays on balls that guys his age don't normally do.Another important note is that he loves to block on the outside. You can just sense he takes a lot of pride in the aspect of being a receiver. He isn't the fastest receiver by any means, but he makes up for it with his incredibly strong and soft hands.

WR- Brandon Reilly
- With Brandon being one of the fastest guys on the team I think a lot of people expect him to be a viable threat downfield in the passing game. I think they're right, he might just be the best threat we have when we stretch the field. He has also shown the ability to be a extremely clutch in big time ball games. I call him a gamer. We have seen it in games like Michigan State, Northwestern, and Iowa. He seems to always come down with the 50/50 balls and that is important as a receiver, are you going to beat the corner to the football.

WR - Alonzo Moore
- Zo is a guy that at one moment you can love like crazy, and the next moment you'll be shaking your head. He has had the case of stone hands before in his career ( I will admit, he's gotten a lot better). In my opinion he is one of the most fluid athletes we have on the roster. He has long strides which make running look effortless to him. I really think his knack is WR screens, and jet sweeps. He was the most successful player we had on those fly sweeps last season and I think we should utilize him more in that area.

LT- Nick Gates
- This is a funny one to me. Knowing Nick off the field, you would never think he is such a nasty one on it. He is a chill, down to earth guy who doesn't seem like he would harm a fly. But man when he steps on the field look out, he will not hesitate to finish a block and put someone in the dirt. He does it with intent to hurt too. That's why he's going to be playing in the NFL though, he plays with aggression and with a mean streak. Once he gets his footwork down on that left side, it's game over. Total stud.

LG- Jerald Foster
- I'm very interested to see how Jerald handles himself now that he is the projected started on the interior. There is no doubt that he has the physical tools to be an outstanding player for this team, does he have the mental game in check. From what I have heard, he is brutally strong and he is ready to show what he has this season.

C- Dylan Utter
- There is no hiding the fact that Dylan and I are very good friends, many on here know that by now. I do stand up for him when he gets the short end of the stick because I know how hard he HAS worked to get here, and I know how hard he works now. The dude constantly busts his ass even knowing he is slated to start. He plays with a chip on his shoulder at all times because he knows hes doubted, and he knows people don't want to see him out there. But I can guarantee you this, there isn't a lineman that is tougher, and knows his playbook more thoroughly than Dylan. I'm very proud to call him my friend, and I am so excited to see how he performs this season.

RG- Tanner Farmer
- Very interested to see how Tanner does this year now finally getting his shot. We know about the sheer power he possesses and I can't wait to see how it translates to the field. There is no doubt that once TF gets his hands on you, there isn't much you can do about it. It's been a long time since we have had guards this strong.

RT- David Knevel
- Knevel is one of the few people I have been around that has made me feel short ( I am 6'7" ). At 6'9" David is a mountain of a man, however what I don't think he gets enough credit for is his feet. I think he has great feet for being as tall as he is. There is a reason Nick Saban came calling for him, and I think we will see why this season. Look for him to anchor down that right side.

Defense:

DE- Ross Dzuris
- This is obviously a position that scares a lot of people on this board, and for good reason. However, I think Ross Dzuris is more than formidable. I think that at the point of attack he uses is hands pretty well and is able to get off some blocks. Now it's evident he isn't a speed rusher and he won't give us much in terms of sacks, I do think however that he is serviceable in that starting 4.

DT- Kevin Maurice
- K-Mo might be the one player I am most excited about watching this season on the defensive side of the ball. I think he is an excellent DT and he will show why now that his time is here. We saw flashes of what he could do in that Illinois game, and even a little in the bowl game as well. He sheds blockers really well, and plays with great leverage. Rarely do I ever see him being moved backwards. That Illinois game where he had 8 tackles (I think?) was extremely impressive in my eyes. Look for a big year from him.

DT- Mick Stoltenberg
- Mick is just ab absolute monster, there isn't really any other way around it. He is the first guy I would want coming off the bus come gameday. It was unfortunate he got injured, but I think he is now completely healthy and looking to show what he can do. For how big he is, he actually is quite nimble and agile. Again, if Mick has you in his grasp there is a 99.996% chance you're going to be tasting some turf. I anxious to see how well he performs now that the starting job is his to lose.

DE- Freedom Akinmoladun
- With a defensive line that isn't built to get to the quarterback very often, he is our lone wolf. Freedom came on strong last season with a couple of great games early then unfortunately went down with an injury. He has good acceleration off of the line of scrimmage and has a good motor. He needs to work on his moves though in order to become a more polished pass rusher. He is going to need to step up and have a big year and create pressure on opposing QBs.

LB- Michael Rose - Ivey
- Arguably the most instinctual linebacker that is on the roster, I just pray the MRI can stay healthy enough show what he can do with a full season. When healthy, Rose-Ivey is about as sure of a tackler as this team has. He knows his craft, he loves the game of football and it shows. His instincts are what make him a terrific linebacker. Again though, can he keep that lower body healthy enough for a season? We will see.

LB- Josh Banderas
- We have heard chatter all off season about how much progress Josh has made over the summer. It's time we see it. I think he has the physical tools to do so. He is a solid 240 pounds in the middle and just what we need if we want to hold up against the running teams in the Big 10. I've never doubted Josh's ability to come up and lay the wood on someone, that isn't the issue. The issue is when he is forced to follow a running back in to the flat, can he run with them to cover? I hope this is the year Bando puts it all together.

LB- Dedrick Young
- Already looking like a full grown man, but we have to remember this kid is only 19 years old. He now holds the record for most tackles by a true freshman in Cornhusker history (61). What I think he really excels at is covering flat routes and following backs out to the flats. He is a tremendous athlete and I am very excited to see what he can do in year 2 with Coach Bray by his side.

Safety- Nate Gerry
- If Nate can play every game like he did in those last two games of the season last year, he will be playing in the NFL. The guy has all the physical gifts in the world. He looks like Thor, runs like a gazelle.....it's just unfair. He has a good knack for the football as he usually leads the team in interceptions or is close every year he has been on campus. He is never afraid to come up and meet a running back in the hole which is a good thing. Like I said, if he comes out and plays like his hairs on fire, he will be a first-teamer for sure.

Safety- Kieron Williams
- Along with Kevin Maurice, Kieron is the other player I am most intrigued about watching. He was a late pickup in his recruiting cycle and kind of flew under the radar. However, I think he is an excellent looking football player. He plays the game fast and with a purpose. He is always going 100 mph on the football field and has shown a real nose for the football, blocking at least 2 or 3 punts in his career. I like his style of play because I don't think he will be intimidated by any one opposite from him.

CB- Joshua Kalu
- I think we are going to start seeing more corners like Kalu in this new system. He is long, and lanky and has good ball skills. I really think that Stewart & Banker are going to look more for those 6'0" to 6'1" corners who have long arms. Kalu really fits that mold. He is also a very underrated tackler as well.

CB- Chris Jones
- Much like I said above with Kalu, I really think that Chris Jones fits the mold of the corners they are trying to have here in this defense. It was nice to see Chris step up last season and fill a void. I think he is a good cover corner with solid ball skills. He is a very long athlete, who uses his hands to his advantage and isn't afraid to get physical with a receiver.

_________________________________________________________________________________

Sorry I am going to refrain from doing Special Teams starters as it is 12:30 and I barely got through it all. I also apologize in advance for any grammatical errors as well.

I hope you enjoyed these little breakdowns. I am very excited to see what this team is going to look like come September 3rd. Football is back.

GBR, and God Bless.

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News