ADVERTISEMENT

Must keep heads right after O State

RBigredMax

First Team All-Big Ten
Mar 23, 2023
I am confident we aren’t as bad as we showed yesterday. It’s crazy disappointing and there is no excuse to get smacked in every phase yesterday.

Ohio state will likely be another beat down but every game after that is absolutely winnable.

Will be extremely disappointed if we lay down the last 4 games.

"Will be extremely disappointed if we lay down the last 4 games."

Last year we went 0-4 to end the season and failed to get to a 6th win & a bowl game. That was disappointing.

After yesterday's beat down we have 5 games left to get to that 6th win. Not achieving that modest goal this year would be extremely depressing.

Our team is not good. We saw it early in the season but the opponents were bad (Colorado is getting better and I don’t think we beat them if we had to play them today). They’ve only played a few great quarters and disappeared in the rest.

I don’t think they are as bad as the final score at Indiana indicated but the Huskers are not a good team. The team quit. They picked up their ball and decided to go home in the 2nd quarter.

They do have a chance against UCLA). I’d say it is 50-50 if the team doesn’t wet the bed in a close game

Rest of the season…
Ohio St 0 percent chance we win
UCLA 50% we win
USC 5% we win
Wisconsin 20% we win
Iowa 15% we win

Still one at a time guy, but I have to admit we took three steps backward yesterday and day by day we’re not getting better..

Thought we’d be 7-5 so beating UCLA in 2 weeks is a absolute must, not for only Rhule but the entire program moving forward..

The reality is that it’s still a rebuild and the Colorado game made us look better than we really are. But they absolutely can not—can not—lose their last six games to go 5-7 two years in a row. I mean, they can, but I’ll be done supporting Matt Rhule if it happens.

Heading into the off-season on a six game losing streak would be a disaster of epic proportions.

The players won't lie down, but the staff will not arm them properly to win. This is the chink in the armor.
I would like to see some staff changes today. It will make zero difference going into a week playing against Ohio St. But it will send a message that we intend to be better. I think it will also matter to players that want to play for championships.

Our team is not good. We saw it early in the season but the opponents were bad (Colorado is getting better and I don’t think we beat them if we had to play them today). They’ve only played a few great quarters and disappeared in the rest.

I don’t think they are as bad as the final score at Indiana indicated but the Huskers are not a good team. The team quit. They picked up their ball and decided to go home in the 2nd quarter.

They do have a chance against UCLA). I’d say it is 50-50 if the team doesn’t wet the bed in a close game

Rest of the season…
Ohio St 0 percent chance we win
UCLA 50% we win
USC 5% we win
Wisconsin 20% we win
Iowa 15% we win

Teams generally quit when one of two things become apparent… (Or both)

1. Massive talent disparity. Doesn’t matter what the coaches draw up or how they’ve prepared you. Nobody can physically beat the man across from them. This usually sets in pretty quickly, team will show signs of quitting in the 1st quarter of a game.

2. Coaches haven’t prepared you for what you’re seeing on the field and are not putting you in the best position to succeed. When your coach(es), with 2 weeks of preparation, tell you what to expect from the other team and how we are going counter/attack that and it becomes obvious they were dead wrong… Players quit. This usually sets in or begins to show in the 2nd or 3rd quarter.

I personally don’t see much of a talent disparity. That might be the case with OSU, very likely, but it hasn’t been the case in the first 7 games. IMO

The reality is that it’s still a rebuild and the Colorado game made us look better than we really are. But they absolutely can not—can not—lose their last six games to go 5-7 two years in a row. I mean, they can, but I’ll be done supporting Matt Rhule if it happens.

Heading into the off-season on a six game losing streak would be a disaster of epic proportions.

How could you still be on the Rhule train after that? He only talks about how important it is to play well in October and November all the time. Probably said a million times that how you play in October/November is the measure of a good team. And we will have, in 2 years, played our worst football (by far) in the months of October and November. Inexcusable, period.

Reactions: Frozone
How could you still be on the Rhule train after that? He only talks about how important it is to play well in October and November all the time. Probably said a million times that how you play in October/November is the measure of a good team. And we will have, in 2 years, played our worst football (by far) in the months of October and November. Inexcusable, period.
It’s tough. Yesterday was the worst game of his tenure by far, and coming off a bye week, it is inexcusable. He has a lot of hard conversations ahead of him. But a bowl game in year 2 of a rebuild with a true freshman QB would be an acceptable outcome. Going 5-7 again would not, under any circumstances.

It’s tough. Yesterday was the worst game of his tenure by far, and coming off a bye week, it is inexcusable. He has a lot of hard conversations ahead of him. But a bowl game in year 2 of a rebuild with a true freshman QB would be an acceptable outcome. Going 5-7 again would not, under any circumstances.

If we can get to 6-7 wins, and Rhule makes the necessary changes at season’s end, then yes I’ll still have some hope that a 3 year Rhule rebuild is possible. But, if we go 5-7 again, my faith and belief will be shattered. Firing a HC coach after 2 seasons is a little extreme. But if the consensus belief is he can’t and won’t get it done… Why wait? Some might say money, but that’s just an unfortunate formality if the big money donors want him gone. Let’s hope it doesn’t go there. 🤞🏼

Too many players quit yesterday. Nothing that I saw suggests they even want to go to a bowl game. Every damn team that we have left to play are improving. I don't see another win this season with these coaches and these players.
Iowa is not steadily improving, their defense has given up almost 400 yards or more last 3 games. They did well forcing Michigan State into attempting 7 field goals and gave up 2 TDs last night. Outside of their RB the offense is mostly a joke. They are riding a roller coaster this year sitting at 4-3. On a good day we can beat them.

Reactions: V-Doub
I am confident we aren’t as bad as we showed yesterday. It’s crazy disappointing and there is no excuse to get smacked in every phase yesterday.

Ohio state will likely be another beat down but every game after that is absolutely winnable.

Yep, it’s not about next week it’s do we show up at home vs UCLA. Right now I don’t know.

Reactions: SickOfPractice
Losing to tOSU is not embarrassing, I hope there is some fight in this team to go on the road and at least give them a game for a few quarters. There's not one player on Nebraska that could start for the Buckeyes right now, and that includes Raiola, at least not the way he has been playing as of late.

tOSU has beaten everyone up on their schedule except Oregon, I assume they will be razor sharp in every part of the game, I hope Nebraska can give it a go for a bit of time, but like most other fans, I doubt it will happen.

Too many players quit yesterday. Nothing that I saw suggests they even want to go to a bowl game. Every damn team that we have left to play are improving. I don't see another win this season with these coaches and these players.
And the players know they aren't improving. Our coaches are very mediocre and I think the players are realizing it. It's up to the players to find a way to win in spite of the staff.

Reactions: Dylman and InMotion

Agreed from what I watched yesterday

This season is over. Players and coaches don't care. So neither do I. I'm not gonna watch this shit show anymore
A little premature don’t you think.. Realize it was his worst loss since being hired but I’d rather see what unfolds till after Thanksgiving..

Do people really care about going to a Cheez it bowl or Mayo bowl or whatever? Yeah I guess it means they got 6 wins but who the hell is making that trip to go to that exhibition/scrimmage?
It's more about the extra month of practicing and getting better. Unless you're firing a coach going to a bowl game is crucial to development of freshman and sophomore kids.

Not ideal to face a potential second lopsided game, crushing the team spirit.
Agree it’s very important to not give up on the season after OSU.

Despite an L, it will help if they can stay semi-competitive and use the game as a chance to grow.

we just laid as big an egg as possible after 2 weeks of uninterrupted practice

I'm not sure more practice will make us better

really sucks games are played on the field and not in the press room
This is what bothers me the most. 2 weeks of practice and I was hoping to see some big improvements in all phases of the game.
Well, we all know there were zero improvements over 2 weeks.
At this point, we have to be concerned about what these coaches are trying to teach these kids. Seems to me, it's a bunch of shit that can't help them improve their game. Such bs.

Can we send our coaching staff to Indiana so they can see what real coaches look like?

Iowa is not steadily improving, their defense has given up almost 400 yards or more last 3 games. They did well forcing Michigan State into attempting 7 field goals and gave up 2 TDs last night. Outside of their RB the offense is mostly a joke. They are riding a roller coaster this year sitting at 4-3. On a good day we can beat them.

A lot of teams are improving but iowa isn’t one of them. They played a typical iowa style game at home against a decimated Washington team at 9:00am (pacific time) A Washington team that is a totally different team on the road than at home. In many ways like us, we play way better at home. I predicted iowa would win that game by +14 plus in another thread. But not cause iowa is anything more than a very average team, but for the reasons I stated above.

We lost 7 months of practice in 7 years. That's an entire season of football.

It really accentuates the problem even more. Indiana didn’t have any bowl practices either. Indiana has only been to 5 bowl games in the last 17 years. (and they lost all of them) Nebraska has been to 10 bowl games in the exact same time period. (Last 17 years)

I don't know that we have the kind of leadership we need on the sideline or in the huddle to stem the tide if things keep going south

lots of really bad woe-is-me body language

and now nice guy Rhule is getting unsportsmanlike conduct penalties like he's Bobby Cox trying to fire up the boys

it's all pretty uninspiring

Uncomfortable conversations need to be had. Nebraskas Offense is bad. We can't defend RPO on defense. If Rhule won't or can't make the changes more games will look like this. If the wheels fall off in year 2 AGAIN! Players will leave in the portal era.
I hope The ship can be righted for 2-3 more wins. I'm not optimistic even 1 is going to be easy. There are 3 teams left with the ability to blow us out if Indiana could.
Does Nebraska have the stones to move on quickly if this happens? I dont think so. It needed to be a coach with a winning record who wins. It wasn't.
What if it turns out to be Mike Riley but younger. We watch a dead man walking coach for 2 years? Rough day to be a Husker and look at the reality that may be.

• Sad
Reactions: V-Doub

I didn't bother listening to the coach's comments afterwards but I did see D lineman say that when a big play happened ,heads went down. We still have a loser mentality that we somehow must shake. OSU will blow us out and it's going to be pure turmoil around here. We could implode , hope not.

we just laid as big an egg as possible after 2 weeks of uninterrupted practice

I'm not sure more practice will make us better

really sucks games are played on the field and not in the press room
The narrative changed yesterday from "If you drag them deep into the game, they'll make a mistake and beat themselves", to "If we get them down early, they'll quit."

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT