ADVERTISEMENT

Morning Trivia!!!

MAG

Assistant Head Coach
May 29, 2001
Who was the last TRUE freshman quarterback to start a game for the Huskers?

Reactions: huskerfan66
I'm with you dude. I thought it was Fraizer. But with further research it was Green.
I thought the trick question part of it was going to be Monte Christo… Wasn’t he a true freshman when he played against Missouri? Even if it was just for one game… I completely forgot about Cody Green as well.

I thought the trick question part of it was going to be Monte Christo… Wasn’t he a true freshman when he played against Missouri? Even if it was just for one game… I completely forgot about Cody Green as well.

Can’t remember if he redshirted, but not only that he was a walk-on.

Reactions: timnsun
Can’t remember if he redshirted, but not only that he was a walk-on.
I am pretty sure he was redshirting until he got pulled into action against Missouri. Frazier was out in Berringer was out, Turman went down in that game… Christo never played again that season.

Reactions: saluno22
Folks have got the correct player but not the correct game. I think the last game that a true freshman QB started was 2009 Oklahoma. It was one week after Baylor. After Green did nothing the first few two drives they put Zac Lee in at the one yard line after a pick and he played the rest of the game.

I am pretty sure he was redshirting until he got pulled into action against Missouri. Frazier was out in Berringer was out, Turman went down in that game… Christo never played again that season.
Bingo.

Was on the travel squad as a true freshman to start the season, was injured during practice for the Kickoff Classic and had surgery on his hand, then returned to play the last couple minutes against Missouri as Frazier was out with the blood clots, Berringer put on the shelf after building a lead due to his lung, and Turman injured his shoulder. Then he didn't play again the rest of the year and had back surgery in the offseason.

I'm curious if they considered putting in Tony Veland to take snaps in those last couple minutes to retain Christo's redshirt or wanted to get Christo "live action" (in this case, hand the ball off to LP/Benning/Childs).

EDIT: OWH Game Article

Reactions: timnsun
Bingo.

Was on the travel squad as a true freshman to start the season, was injured during practice for the Kickoff Classic and had surgery on his hand, then returned to play the last couple minutes against Missouri as Frazier was out with the blood clots, Berringer put on the shelf after building a lead due to his lung, and Turman injured his shoulder. Then he didn't play again the rest of the year and had back surgery in the offseason.

I'm curious if they considered putting in Tony Veland to take snaps in those last couple minutes to retain Christo's redshirt or wanted to get Christo "live action" (in this case, hand the ball off to LP/Benning/Childs).

EDIT: OWH Game Article
It is still amazing we were able to survive the middle stretch of that season undefeated. Credit to LP, the pipeline, and the defense

It is still amazing we were able to survive the middle stretch of that season undefeated. Credit to LP, the pipeline, and the defense
Amen brother. I went to the Iowa St. game that year in Ames. Man that offense, until late in the game, struggled against a very bad ISU squad.

Amen brother. I went to the Iowa St. game that year in Ames. Man that offense, until late in the game, struggled against a very bad ISU squad.
I remember listening on the radio to that game as a small child and thinking "what the hell is going on out there, why aren't we killing them??" Just looked it up and they were 0-10-1.... with losses to Northern Iowa, Western Michigan, Rice, and tied OKST.

Thanks for the trivia posts.. I look forward to them every morning

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT