ADVERTISEMENT

More than just football

BayAreaBigRed

Sophomore
Gold Member
Aug 28, 2007
This might not be the best place to post this, but whatever, it's what I'm feeling like right now. This Monday, Labor Day, one of my great friends past away at the age of 37. I bring this up because the memory that I keep coming back to of him revolves around NU football.
In 2008 I was living in San Francisco at the time, but was dating my future wife who lived in Sacramento. I was in Sac for Thanksgiving and obviously I was going to do anything I could to see the NU Colorado game the day after. Since it's Thanksgiving and I'm not in my home town, and I'm not going to hog up the TV at my friends parents house I go to the bar solo. At the time I only know maybe 3 or 4 guys in Sacramento. One of which is my wives buddy John Silva, who really has nothing to do with anything related to Nebraska but is a sports fan none the less. I give him a call, a shot in the dark that he might come out to watch the game with me, and low and behold 10 minutes later he's there and I now got a friend, a pal, a drinking buddy. Well we all know how great that game was, the epic ending, the just straight party when Suh scored that last touchdown. It was one of the most fun times I've had watching a game, and it was all with my buddy John. For the past few days since his death I just keep coming back to that NU Colorado game and thinking about John. This might not make since or matter to you all but I remember lots of Nebraska football games, but THAT game will forever be the one closest to my heart and it will always remind me of my good friend.

ADVERTISEMENT