ADVERTISEMENT

Mo Washington

Frost only cares ab Wins, this kid got kicked out of 2 highschools, is up for felony counts, has been caught with weed in his dorm and now whatever this was..pretty sad really
Weed? Were you there, smoking? The story was paraphernalia. And he does get his day in court. I just forgot for a minute that you said you just got out of high school and know it all just like most everyone else your age. Try to read some facts and have some semblance of accuracy. Listening to you, someone would think he coerced some foreign president or something.

And, apparently you have an in with SF, and know exactly what the infraction was for the suspension. Otherwise you wouldn't be so certain about how bad mw's character is, right?

If you believe in Washington then you should never comment on an opposing team's handling of a player under the same suspicion. Don't defend him because he is 19 years old. At what age are you old enough to know better? We have guys dying in the military at that age. We should lower the drinking age to the level where you can enlist(beside the point).

If you are saying there needs to be absolute proof on what he did to deem a punishment worthy, that is fine. Just don't be a hypocrite and assign a different set of rules when it doesn't suit your viewpoint. I understand more and more each day what mental health problems are, but the negative results need to be addressed to prevent them from reoccurring.
I was in the military 25 1/2, but I didn't ever notice drinking made better soldiers. On the contrary, from what I had observed. Science says alcohol kills brain cells, and they need all the brain cells they can maintain, especially with the number of tbi's with kevlar helmets

I was in the military 25 1/2, but I didn't ever notice drinking made better soldiers. On the contrary, from what I had observed. Science says alcohol kills brain cells, and they need all the brain cells they can maintain, especially with the number of tbi's with kevlar helmets
You will need to translate that for me. 25 1/2? Is that some Army unit? It probably is. I was in the Marines and our numbers were much smaller. I also knew a ton of dudes that were hardcore alcoholics that could run like a gazelle in the morning. None of us ever bitched about kevlar helmets. Kevlar helmets are last resort defense in battle. It isn't anywhere near the defense every linebacker/running back/safety experiences on literally every play. No Marine ever experienced a TBI wearing a kevlar unless they just got roadside bombed or had a mortar drop about twenty feet from them. I forgot what we were talking about. Are you really military?

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Frost only cares ab Wins, this kid got kicked out of 2 highschools, is up for felony counts, has been caught with weed in his dorm and now whatever this was..pretty sad really

Facts are, Dumbass, you don't have a clue what HCSF cares about. He didn't get kicked out of 2 high schools, he was expelled out of 1, he moved for football reasons the 1st time, and grades the second. The only person named Washington that has anything to do with us and actual weed was the first president of the United States, and he hasn't been found guilty of any felony.

...Dumbass.

None of you guys know Maurice Washington or what his life experiences have been. Thank God I didn't have people on a public message board judging me by some of my stupid behavior when I was his age.

Amen Dingle. Purple rain, purple rain...

It's raining all over my roof in WPB, and I am completely replacing. God doesn't care. The rain in SoFL is constant...

I'm not a football coach, but i don't think running Washington between the tackles (like the carries he got yesterday) puts him in the best position to succeed.

I look at him as more of a wide receiver or wingback kind of guy. I hope they put in Rahmir Johnson in at running back with Mills and split Washington out wide. He has good hands and from what I have seen, he may be the fastest player on the team.

As far as Washington's inequities, it doesn't seem like he's had a very structured life. I won't judge him.

You will need to translate that for me. 25 1/2? Is that some Army unit? It probably is. I was in the Marines and our numbers were much smaller. I also knew a ton of dudes that were hardcore alcoholics that could run like a gazelle in the morning. None of us ever bitched about kevlar helmets. Kevlar helmets are last resort defense in battle. It isn't anywhere near the defense every linebacker/running back/safety experiences on literally every play. No Marine ever experienced a TBI wearing a kevlar unless they just got roadside bombed or had a mortar drop about twenty feet from them. I forgot what we were talking about. Are you really military?
25 1/2 years of service as a health professional-- not griping about Kevlar, they keep a lot of people alive who would have died with steel helmets in the past, but you have it correct, kevlar doesn't cause the brain injury, but they keep more people alive that have brain injuries and concussion from explosions cause most of them. That's why the VA, finally, had to start doing research for TBI (because there are a greater number of veterans, percentage wise, that have TBI) and why artillery personnel are under a great deal of danger for brain injuries due to the concussion of the guns going off. In the past, naval gunners in world war ll had a lot more brain injuries than was known at the time.

I didn't say there aren't good soldiers who also drink, I just never saw they were better because they did drink.

I don’t know what the answer is for the kids today, you really can’t point a finger at anything specific. Because it’s happening in all wakes of life. I didn’t grow up with social media, but I grew up in the fear of the Russian starting a nuclear war almost daily or if you were a little old being drafted and going to Vietnam. Are the kids today bringing on trivial stress for themselves. Yes to them it’s not trivial but in the grand scheme of things it pales in comparison to being drafted and going to war. I really hope Mo can turn it around because he has a God gifted talent that 1 in what 500 has. Put it that talent to good uses, don’t muck it up

Ok, I misinterpreted what part of my post you were nitpicking. I will address this drinking age issue without any political angle or preconceived notions on your experience vs my own.

A gun can be dangerous in the wrong hands, alchohol or any other recreational drug, vehicle, anything really can be detrimental based on the individual using it. I firmly believe any young person who is deemed capable of operating a vehicle, smoking cigarettes, and potentially dying for their country should be able to make the decision whether they can handle alchohol consumption. Not some suit telling them they can be drafted into the military, but they can't buy a freaking beer.

I don't want anybody handling a device or holding my life in their hands while under the influence.. That includes an 18 year old infantry unit in Kuwait, or a team of 50 year old surgeons in a hospital room.

Ok, I misinterpreted what part of my post you were nitpicking. I will address this drinking age issue without any political angle or preconceived notions on your experience vs my own.

A gun can be dangerous in the wrong hands, alchohol or any other recreational drug, vehicle, anything really can be detrimental based on the individual using it. I firmly believe any young person who is deemed capable of operating a vehicle, smoking cigarettes, and potentially dying for their country should be able to make the decision whether they can handle alchohol consumption. Not some suit telling them they can be drafted into the military, but they can't buy a freaking beer.

I don't want anybody handling a device or holding my life in their hands while under the influence.. That includes an 18 year old infantry unit in Kuwait, or a team of 50 year old surgeons in a hospital room.
I don't think I was nitpicking, just making statements from what I had experienced and read. I'm sorry you may have thought that.

I think the big part of the arguments of age and alcohol are 1. development in the brain is continuing until the mid 20's and the majority of it is younger than that and those younger years before 21 are even more critical and the brain is more vulnerable to alcohol during that time 2. statistically, the younger a person is when they start drinking, the greater chance there is for them to be alcoholics later, but I don't know what the critical age might be 3. I hear that statistically, adolescents and young adults have questionable judgement in more than one area of life, which is why, for instance, they get in more car accidents, which is why their insurance rates are much higher up until about age 26 and alcohol compromises their judgment even more, not just in driving

I guess I don't see what alcohol consumption has to do with serving in the military because percentage wise, very few people do join the military and it has been a choice since about 1973 (conscription ended) and about 75% of the male population these days don't even qualify one way or the other to be accepted in the military. That seems to mean they have some sort of problem in their lives. If you are saying (and I think you are) that if an 18 or 19 yo kid can serve in the military, then they should be able to drink. If that is the case, then, obviously, by law changes, all of the 18-19 yo would be able to drink.

Personally, I find that disturbing when I think that would potentially include the 75% that even the MILITARY thinks are already defective. Alcohol, I would think, certainly wouldn't improve THEIR perceived defects, whatever the military thinks they are.

Your statement about anything can be dangerous depending on who is using it has truth to it. The problem is that how does one legislate limiting access to alcohol to only the 18 and 19 year olds that can handle alcohol without being detrimental to themselves or others. There, obviously, is no test for that like there is, say for instance, a drivers license.

Are you saying it should be made available for only people of that age who are in the military, or everyone that age?

Most states, I believe, tried to lower the legal drinking age for some years, but, apparently, that didn't work out due to some bad experiences, l am guessing, and more medical evidence about brain development, as discussed above, was learned, and those laws were rescinded. thanks for the discussion

I don’t know what the answer is for the kids today, you really can’t point a finger at anything specific. Because it’s happening in all wakes of life. I didn’t grow up with social media, but I grew up in the fear of the Russian starting a nuclear war almost daily or if you were a little old being drafted and going to Vietnam. Are the kids today bringing on trivial stress for themselves. Yes to them it’s not trivial but in the grand scheme of things it pales in comparison to being drafted and going to war. I really hope Mo can turn it around because he has a God gifted talent that 1 in what 500 has. Put it that talent to good uses, don’t muck it up

Back in the older days before widespread internet use and social media if you had a bad day you just shrug it off and get back to what you are doing. It was easy to ignore a lot of things.

Today if you feel bad for even 5 minutes you are bombarded with millions of images of people having the best times of their lives and making tons of money. It makes kids overly stressed, self-loathing and wondering what is wrong with them.

Now on top of that imagine being even slightly famous like a college athlete and going through a tough stretch in your life and you can't use certain apps or go online to certain places because you don't want to see thousands of people talking bad about you. Now everyone else is having a great life and your just stuck here laying on your couch getting yelled at by people online.

Yes it pales in comparison to war and getting drafted. Kids do need to be tougher mentally and learn what to care about and what to ignore, but I was never getting constantly reminded every minute of every day that my life was crap like today.

I'll trust Frost to the right things for the kid and the team. The clowns on message boards need to do the same. I don't know what the internal issue was. It must not have been too bad or Frost and the unity council would have made him sit more than a half.

Frost hasn't reimplemented the Unity Council

I don't think I was nitpicking, just making statements from what I had experienced and read. I'm sorry you may have thought that.

I think the big part of the arguments of age and alcohol are 1. development in the brain is continuing until the mid 20's and the majority of it is younger than that and those younger years before 21 are even more critical and the brain is more vulnerable to alcohol during that time 2. statistically, the younger a person is when they start drinking, the greater chance there is for them to be alcoholics later, but I don't know what the critical age might be 3. I hear that statistically, adolescents and young adults have questionable judgement in more than one area of life, which is why, for instance, they get in more car accidents, which is why their insurance rates are much higher up until about age 26 and alcohol compromises their judgment even more, not just in driving

I guess I don't see what alcohol consumption has to do with serving in the military because percentage wise, very few people do join the military and it has been a choice since about 1973 (conscription ended) and about 75% of the male population these days don't even qualify one way or the other to be accepted in the military. That seems to mean they have some sort of problem in their lives. If you are saying (and I think you are) that if an 18 or 19 yo kid can serve in the military, then they should be able to drink. If that is the case, then, obviously, by law changes, all of the 18-19 yo would be able to drink.

Personally, I find that disturbing when I think that would potentially include the 75% that even the MILITARY thinks are already defective. Alcohol, I would think, certainly wouldn't improve THEIR perceived defects, whatever the military thinks they are.

Your statement about anything can be dangerous depending on who is using it has truth to it. The problem is that how does one legislate limiting access to alcohol to only the 18 and 19 year olds that can handle alcohol without being detrimental to themselves or others. There, obviously, is no test for that like there is, say for instance, a drivers license.

Are you saying it should be made available for only people of that age who are in the military, or everyone that age?

Most states, I believe, tried to lower the legal drinking age for some years, but, apparently, that didn't work out due to some bad experiences, l am guessing, and more medical evidence about brain development, as discussed above, was learned, and those laws were rescinded. thanks for the discussion

My biggest qualm is the fact that a young man could be drafted at 18 to give his life to his country, yet he isn't deemed mature enough to buy alcohol. I think being old enough to be enlisted in the military should go hand in hand with their ability to do anything the old rich politicians who gladly send these guys off to war can do.

" Here Tommy, go give your life to protect the freedoms of this country."

"Ok Mr. Townes, afterward I may need a beer to help me relax"

"Out of the question, you aren't mature enough to make that decision!!"

Reactions: bshirt73
My biggest qualm is the fact that a young man could be drafted at 18 to give his life to his country, yet he isn't deemed mature enough to buy alcohol. I think being old enough to be enlisted in the military should go hand in hand with their ability to do anything the old rich politicians who gladly send these guys off to war can do.

I’ve long said the legal age for everything should be 19. Once you turn 19, you can vote, be drafted, buy tobacco and buy alcohol. That way they are all out if HS and parents and schools don’t have to deal with the “I’m and adult now” during kids senior year of HS and we get rid of all the hypocrisy of having kids serve in the military and vote that can’t legally buy a beer.

Reactions: dinglefritz
[QUOTE="PlutoDroid, post: 5549307, member: 34412"]My biggest qualm is the fact that a young man could be drafted at 18 to give his life to his country, yet he isn't deemed mature enough to buy alcohol. I think being old enough to be enlisted in the military should go hand in hand with their ability to do anything the old rich politicians who gladly send these guys off to war can do.

"Out of the question, you aren't mature enough to make that decision!!"[/QUOTE]

Absolutely sir, that's the biggest pile of dog-sh*t our glorious politicians have ever came up with. It's just totally & pathetically disgusting. Drafted or not, if he's armed to defend America he damned well should be able to buy a beer.

I’ve long said the legal age for everything should be 19. Once you turn 19, you can vote, be drafted, buy tobacco and buy alcohol. That way they are all out if HS and parents and schools don’t have to deal with the “I’m and adult now” during kids senior year of HS and we get rid of all the hypocrisy of having kids serve in the military and vote that can’t legally buy a beer.
Does that include changing forcing insurance companies to insure kids on their parent's policies until age 25 to age 19?

Today if you feel bad for even 5 minutes you are bombarded with millions of images of people having the best times of their lives and making tons of money. It makes kids overly stressed, self-loathing and wondering what is wrong with them.
Bingo. And it isn't just confined to teenagers. Hell, I feel like a loser all the time when I see all the vacations my friends post pictures of and pictures of all their new toys. Of course, I could buy and sell all of them, but I still feel like a loser when I see the pictures.

I mention it because I struggle with defining exactly what an "adult" is.

War = 18
Tobacco = 18-21 depending on state
Guns - 18-21 depending on state
Prison = 18 unless it is a bad crime, then as young as 12
Booze = 21
Pot = 21
Health insurance = 25
Car rental = Increased rate under 25
Sex?

No thank you, I'm straight.

I mention it because I struggle with defining exactly what an "adult" is.

War = 18
Tobacco = 18-21 depending on state
Guns - 18-21 depending on state
Prison = 18 unless it is a bad crime, then as young as 12
Booze = 21
Pot = 21
Health insurance = 25
Car rental = Increased rate under 25
That 18th birthday is a magical date for sex supposedly. Or is it 17? I can never remember so I guess I'll just stay with my wife of almost 40 years. Lots safer.

you touched on a point that I try to emphasize often when I call politicians' offices to try to improve VA services and treatment--that is to say, "tell the senator that it is easy to send other peoples children to war, isn't it?" and, also, "if you're going to have an all volunteer force, then you figure out a way to pay for it and the consequences of those decisions you make, senator. Otherwise, draft your own kids and send them so you and your cronies can make money off sending them. Put some skin in your own game, senator." Needless to say, it is in one ear and out the other to them, it seems.

Politicians make me sick when they are always volunteering to send troops and the troops are someone else's kids, But, that's another story.

But, my concern is alcohol just messes up brain development and may put the kids in a less favorable position brainwise for the rest of their lives, although it is medical fact that trauma of violence or the threat of it, actually, changes brains, also. That is why PTSD is so prevalent with multiple deployments. Brains are actually changed, functionally.

Frost hasn't reimplemented the Unity Council
Yeah, we would have like 3 freshman on the unity council....not quite ready for it yet. I do think it has to be understood that MR recruited kids to make the NFL...Frost is recruiting kids to make Nebraska great again. Completely different pitch. The upperclassman really do not care about Nebraska or the history...their hope is to get some good play on film, and to use NU to prepare for the combine and draft. Their entire experience at NU has been negative outside of the first few months of their freshman year. What some juiced up guys did 22 years ago doesn't matter one bit. I think this will always be a source of friction because many of more talented players won't care about Nebraska unless we start to build something worth caring about.

Reactions: Husker4real
you touched on a point that I try to emphasize often when I call politicians' offices to try to improve VA services and treatment--that is to say, "tell the senator that it is easy to send other peoples children to war, isn't it?" and, also, "if you're going to have an all volunteer force, then you figure out a way to pay for it and the consequences of those decisions you make, senator. Otherwise, draft your own kids and send them so you and your cronies can make money off sending them. Put some skin in your own game, senator." Needless to say, it is in one ear and out the other to them, it seems.

Politicians make me sick when they are always volunteering to send troops and the troops are someone else's kids, But, that's another story.

But, my concern is alcohol just messes up brain development and may put the kids in a less favorable position brainwise for the rest of their lives, although it is medical fact that trauma of violence or the threat of it, actually, changes brains, also. That is why PTSD is so prevalent with multiple deployments. Brains are actually changed, functionally.

I get where you are coming from now, I haven't seen the scientific studies of how, or when alchohol hinders brain development. In reality when does it not? I've come across many grown men who couldn't hold their liquor. I respect anybody who serves in the military, respect them, they are people who don't get the proper respect.

My dad was drafted into the Vietnam war, not his choice. He told me some women spat on a returning soldier at the airport, calling him a baby killer. Too many people in this country don't know how pampered they are.

He had to wait 14 hours at the V. A to get checked out for a blood clot in his leg, after all that they just gave him a nasty drug called cumidin(not sure on the spelling). All it did was make his skin prone to bruising and made his blood vessels brittle while thinning his blood.

I just get disgusted sometimes about all this outpouring of support for those who hate this country, yet are more than willing to accept the benefits provided by it, yet the needs of the veterans sufferring goes unnoticed.

Yeah, we would have like 3 freshman on the unity council....not quite ready for it yet. I do think it has to be understood that MR recruited kids to make the NFL...Frost is recruiting kids to make Nebraska great again. Completely different pitch. The upperclassman really do not care about Nebraska or the history...their hope is to get some good play on film, and to use NU to prepare for the combine and draft. Their entire experience at NU has been negative outside of the first few months of their freshman year. What some juiced up guys did 22 years ago doesn't matter one bit. I think this will always be a source of friction because many of more talented players won't care about Nebraska unless we start to build something worth caring about.

This is well-put. I have been trying to articulate some of the underlying issues, but struggle to do so.

This also may explain how Oregon State put some pretty good players in the NFL, but have been awful

I get where you are coming from now, I haven't seen the scientific studies of how, or when alchohol hinders brain development. In reality when does it not? I've come across many grown men who couldn't hold their liquor. I respect anybody who serves in the military, respect them, they are people who don't get the proper respect.

My dad was drafted into the Vietnam war, not his choice. He told me some women spat on a returning soldier at the airport, calling him a baby killer. Too many people in this country don't know how pampered they are.

He had to wait 14 hours at the V. A to get checked out for a blood clot in his leg, after all that they just gave him a nasty drug called cumidin(not sure on the spelling). All it did was make his skin prone to bruising and made his blood vessels brittle while thinning his blood.

I just get disgusted sometimes about all this outpouring of support for those who hate this country, yet are more than willing to accept the benefits provided by it, yet the needs of the veterans sufferring goes unnoticed.
ditto from me

Who you calling "Juiced Up?"

Back in the older days before widespread internet use and social media if you had a bad day you just shrug it off and get back to what you are doing. It was easy to ignore a lot of things.

Now on top of that imagine being even slightly famous like a college athlete and going through a tough stretch in your life and you can't use certain apps or go online to certain places because you don't want to see thousands of people talking bad about you. Now everyone else is having a great life and your just stuck here laying on your couch getting yelled at by people online.

Yes it pales in comparison to war and getting drafted. Kids do need to be tougher mentally and learn what to care about and what to ignore, but I was never getting constantly reminded every minute of every day that my life was crap like today.
Regarding your 2nd paragraph....good one....not too far off.

Our students just attended a presentation by a guy that does research on electronic/ social media use. He and his group discovered that the rate of depression and suicidal thoughts goes up drastically in people that spend more than 2 hours a day on social media.

Regarding your 2nd paragraph....good one....not too far off.

Our students just attended a presentation by a guy that does research on electronic/ social media use. He and his group discovered that the rate of depression and suicidal thoughts goes up drastically in people that spend more than 2 hours a day on social media.
I'm assuming they studied "Husker Board" posters in their study......:oops:

Mature enough to buy is different than mature enough to handle the effects. You don't have to be mature to be drafted, just 18.

Each young person is different, I could drink beer in a bar with my dad when I was 13, now I don’t hardly drink much at all. Some can’t handle alcohol at 25. Like one said maturity is the big thing. But I’d venture to say if you were 18 and drafted into ww1 ww2 Korea or Vietnam you grew up really fast weather you wanted to or not.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT