ADVERTISEMENT

Miles on Sunday podcast “If they fire me...

he knows he is gone. moos must be cluing him in. you don't make comments like that unless you know you are out

I'm a far cry from being a Miles defender, and after tonight's debacle they can fire him immediately as far as I'm concerned. But if you listen to that segment, I don't think this was an "I dare them to fire me" moment. They were talking about how coaches who make millions of dollars expect more pressure and more criticism than coaches who don't make big money, in part because they usually get golden parachutes. I believe Miles was suggesting that fans should feel worse for the guy who gets fired from a $50,000 JUCO job, because he walks away with little or nothing. At least that's the way I took it.

I didn't care much for the interview, because Miles spent too much time whining about getting shut out of the tournament last year and implying that the Huskers really should have been in, even though in reality they weren't really even on the bubble. He also did some whining about only getting a one-year extension after last season. But as for that particular comment, I didn't take it the same way that some other people did.

I'm a far cry from being a Miles defender, and after tonight's debacle they can fire him immediately as far as I'm concerned. But if you listen to that segment, I don't think this was an "I dare them to fire me" moment. They were talking about how coaches who make millions of dollars expect more pressure and more criticism than coaches who don't make big money, in part because they usually get golden parachutes. I believe Miles was suggesting that fans should feel worse for the guy who gets fired from a $50,000 JUCO job, because he walks away with little or nothing. At least that's the way I took it.

I didn't care much for the interview, because Miles spent too much time whining about getting shut out of the tournament last year and implying that the Huskers really should have been in, even though in reality they weren't really even on the bubble. He also did some whining about only getting a one-year extension after last season. But as for that particular comment, I didn't take it the same way that some other people did.
That’s kind of how I felt about it too. I wanted to listen to it first and hear the context of it before making judgement and I don't think it wasn’t meant the way people are taking it, but can see how some did take it that way.

He also did some whining about only getting a one-year extension after last season.

This comment was far worse because after what he delivered this season how could any coach in their right mind make such a stupid comment. Hey Miles, you demonstrated exactly why you were only given a one year extension.

Reactions: SOHusker11

I agree...he was NOT saying that in an arrogant way...more of a defense of smaller salary guy 'on the hot seat'......but, still, Tim....come on...

Either way, bad optics at a bad time for him. Agree or disagree?
When I heard the podcast earlier in the day, I thought, "Someone's going to quote that remark and it's going to look a lot worse than it was."

So people can take it however they want, I just think they should listen to the segment and not just read it in print. I think it was kind of a dumb thing to say, but there were other parts of the podcast that made me cringe a lot more.

Doesn't bother me at all, this is not a slap in the face to the school or anything like that. We discuss coaches money (some of you do it all the time, I still think some of you had a "Bo's Last Check" party) so for him to say this is fine by me. I would be thinking the same exact thing.

Reactions: dinglefritz
It shows his money is more important than the pride of winning. Sometimes, We try our best and fail. This is sad if Miles thinks he is trying his best. I wonder if he is trying to lose to enjoy and extended paid vacation.

In the only "relevant" game of his NU career, the lone NCAA tourney blow-out loss, he came running onto the court like a raging lunatic and got tossed/teed-up, making a complete ass of himself on National TV.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about the guy. He could kinda recruit, almost like a clown can entertain, then said clown tries to coach = disaster.

It shows his money is more important than the pride of winning. Sometimes, We try our best and fail. This is sad if Miles thinks he is trying his best. I wonder if he is trying to lose to enjoy and extended paid vacation.

I think coaches hit that point in their careers, and Miles has surely hit that stage, talking about being a millionaire and insinuating he'll get his big buyout.

Shows no honor and no real grit. At Nebraska, that gets you run out of town.

The sorrowful part of this is NU can't find any basketball coach worth a damn to take his place, if history has any relevance here. It's like the basketball program is jinxed.

It's like you guys are just trying to find a way to demonize Miles. I'm sure Moos will have good reason to fire Coach Miles without all your fake outrage.
Oh I don't think the outrage is fake. It just lacks context. It's just more fuel for the people who have wanted him gone for several years. Miles can't help himself and while sometimes the openness is interesting, I suspect it hasn't sat well with his team at times. That may have been part of the reason for the transfers and collapses.

Reactions: SC_'sker
In the only "relevant" game of his NU career, the lone NCAA tourney blow-out loss, he came running onto the court like a raging lunatic and got tossed/teed-up, making a complete ass of himself on National TV.

Pretty much sums up my feelings about the guy. He could kinda recruit, almost like a clown can entertain, then said clown tries to coach = disaster.
No, he did not. You either do not remember what happened, or you are pulling this wild story squarely out of your ass.

Miles had a technical foul earlier in the game, so he was another T away from being ejected. On a Baylor possession the shot clock was not running, and Miles tried to get the officials' attention so they would start the shot clock. It was at that point that King Karl Hess, the most self-important jackass ever to don a striped shirt, ejected Miles. This was just one small addition to a long list if ridiculous tantrums Hess has thrown over the years, including ejecting fans who booed him.

I'm completely done with Miles, don't want him to return next year, and Moos can fire him today as far as I'm concerned. But your description of what happened in that game is absolute nonsense.

Last edited:
Doesn't bother me at all, this is not a slap in the face to the school or anything like that. We discuss coaches money (some of you do it all the time, I still think some of you had a "Bo's Last Check" party) so for him to say this is fine by me. I would be thinking the same exact thing.
Several of us have posted the exact same thing on here. Make no mistake regardless of the buyout, getting fired still stings.

Reactions: JohnRossEwing
He knows it's over. He went on the podcast to campaign for his next job.
Who is going to hire him. No descent P5 program. A lower level D1 subit league type of place, is going to be the best he gets. He will be paid a far cry from Millionaire status. We owe him nothing after this year correct? Hope he saved his millions. He wont see them again.

Who is going to hire him. No descent P5 program. A lower level D1 subit league type of place, is going to be the best he gets. He will be paid a far cry from Millionaire status. We owe him nothing after this year correct? Hope he saved his millions. He wont see them again.
Is that right? I feel like he has 4 years left.

He'll get a lower level job like South Dakota State or Wyoming, or be an assistant at a top program, or work for ESPN. And if he does well enough there, he might get another shot at a P5 down the road. Guys like Bruce Weber, Jeff Capel, Ernie Kent, Ben Howland, Tom Crean, etc. have all gotten another chance at a P5 program after being fired. Then again, they all had more success than Miles did, but you never know.

We owe him $2.5 million if we fire him after this season, which isn't bad compared to most coaches' buyouts.

Reactions: husker2612
I thought it was an extension and that he had 4 years left instead of the standard 5?

He actually only had 2 years left when we gave him a one-year extension. Here is a good article about the extension: https://www.cornnation.com/2018/4/17/17247326/nebraska-basketball-miles-to-get-one-year-extension

In summary, we gave him a one-year extension last year, which extended his contract through 2021. If we fire him, we owe him $105k per month through the rest of his contract, which is 2 more years - so that comes out to about $2.5 million.

If he were to land a new job that paid more than $900k, we would no longer owe him a buyout - but I don't see that happening.

No, he did not. You either do not remember what happened, or you are pulling this wild story squarely out of your ass.

Miles had a technical foul earlier in the game, so he was another T away from being ejected. On a Baylor possession the shot clock was not running, and Miles tried to get the officials' attention so they would start the shot clock. It was at that point that King Karl Hess, the most self-important jackass every to don a striped shirt, ejected Miles. This was just one small addition to a long list if ridiculous tantrums Hess has thrown over the years, including ejecting fans who booed him.

I'm completely done with Miles, don't want him to return next year, and Moos can fire him today as far as I'm concerned. But your description of what happened in that game is absolute nonsense.

Thanks, I was going to reply to that but you described it better than I would have. Plenty of things to criticize him for, but that wasn't one of them. IIRC, the announcers pretty much backed him up. Hess admitted to the shot clock mistake was an issue but never apologized or gave a real explanation for the quick trigger finger on ejecting him aside from citing the rule about getting a second technical.

Reactions: schuele

Miles had a technical foul earlier in the game, so he was another T away from being ejected. On a Baylor possession the shot clock was not running, and Miles tried to get the officials' attention so they would start the shot clock. It was at that point that King Karl Hess, the most self-important jackass ever to don a striped shirt, ejected Miles. This was just one small addition to a long list if ridiculous tantrums Hess has thrown over the years, including ejecting fans who booed him.

All I remember was laughing my ass off when Miles got teed-up as he waved his arms and went bat-shit crazy at center court, and for everyone else who didn't shove a microscope up the situation's ass at hand, that's all anyone outside of Nebraska will ever remember, if they ever remember anything about the guy.

Tim Miles? Who?

Lol

Thanks, I was going to reply to that but you described it better than I would have. Plenty of things to criticize him for, but that wasn't one of them. IIRC, the announcers pretty much backed him up. Hess admitted to the shot clock mistake was an issue but never apologized or gave a real explanation for the quick trigger finger on ejecting him aside from citing the rule about getting a second technical.

WGAS.

The team got absolutely blown out. Miles would have been better off just dropping his pants at tip-off.

Guy is a loser, plain and simple. Shades of Mike Riley, at best, and Riley actually had a few descent seasons at Oregon State.

Reactions: WuTang_Husker
He actually only had 2 years left when we gave him a one-year extension. Here is a good article about the extension: https://www.cornnation.com/2018/4/17/17247326/nebraska-basketball-miles-to-get-one-year-extension

In summary, we gave him a one-year extension last year, which extended his contract through 2021. If we fire him, we owe him $105k per month through the rest of his contract, which is 2 more years - so that comes out to about $2.5 million.

If he were to land a new job that paid more than $900k, we would no longer owe him a buyout - but I don't see that happening.

Pay it.

All I remember was laughing my ass off when Miles got teed-up as he waved his arms and went bat-shit crazy at center court, and for everyone else who didn't shove a microscope up the situation's ass at hand, that's all anyone outside of Nebraska will ever remember, if they ever remember anything about the guy.

Tim Miles? Who?

Lol

Everybody isn't a drunken, insufferable blowhard who makes s--- up and then doubles down when he's shown to be full of crap.

Reactions: kaz36
WGAS.

The team got absolutely blown out. Miles would have been better off just dropping his pants at tip-off.

Guy is a loser, plain and simple. Shades of Mike Riley, at best, and Riley actually had a few descent seasons at Oregon State.

"Who cares if I make crap up as long as I don't like him."

And for the record I want him gone too, I just don't feel the need to make crap up to further justify it.

Reactions: schuele
Everybody isn't a drunken, insufferable blowhard who makes s--- up and then doubles down when he's shown to be full of crap.

Well that's true, but it doesn't change the fact that outside of a few Nebraska fans Miles is a tainted commodity and when he leaves Nebraska, he'll probably never coach another P5 Program again.

Reactions: WuTang_Husker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT