ADVERTISEMENT

Mike Gundy, National Treasure

I think just about any coach who won a national title made a moral compromise somewhere. It is interesting though that TO started Phillips even after Ahman Green performed so well during the suspension.
You're forgetting a couple of things:
1. The professionals who worked with Phillips highly recommended that he play again to give him structure.
2. He served a six game suspension. Compare that to what players in trouble were serving at other schools and you'll see that he was punished more severely.
3. Even now, and certainly back then, domestic abusers are under-punished. It is a problem throughout society (I was a prosecutor for many years. First hand experience with judges reluctant to hammer domestic abusers).

Please, do not take this as in any way condoning LP and his actions. But to say that TO let him back on the team to win a title is laughable -- his backup was Ahman Green! Had it been my decision, I'd have jettisoned LP permanently, but I don't condemn TO for his decisions.
PS. University personnel, including the president, chancellor and AD, were cowering pussies through all of this . Passed it off to TO to make all the decisions

This turn of events vis-a-vis meeting up at HyVee remined me of this gif......

Monkey Ambulance GIF - Monkey Ambulance - Discover & Share GIFs

I like Gundy. He’s a good coach.

That comment is some stupid shit right there. Lots of people have lost loved ones because someone drove drunk. I figured he’d be a guy to maintain morals but I guess not. So f&ck that guy
Gundy doesn't have any morals. He's an ass. Probably more than that, but I'll just leave it at that.

Reactions: 54T and Laner2
I think what bugs non Nebraskans so much about this is that they consider TO a win at all costs coach. He didn’t need to start LP. He did it to try and help him. Hindsight shows It was misguided, but he didn’t start LP because he wanted to win.
Good post. I do remember a quote, I think it was Tommie Frazier saying that "they need Phillips out there to win" against Florida. And that quote was unintentionally not helpful, and as we all saw nothing was further from the truth.

Even though Gundy and Osborne are polar opposites in terms of morals and personality, they both shared one thing in common. They had the autonomy and job security to call their own shots and not worry about public perception.

Reactions: timnsun
I think what bugs non Nebraskans so much about this is that they consider TO a win at all costs coach. He didn’t need to start LP. He did it to try and help him. Hindsight shows It was misguided, but he didn’t start LP because he wanted to win.
Timnsun, I agree.

This was my take on it as I remember it at the time.

There were two hypotheses on why Osborne played LP in the Fiesta Bowl, vs immediately expelling him from the team for girlfriend abuse. I’ll call them H1 and H2.

H1: Nebraska could never have beaten Florida in the Fiesta Bowl for the title without playing LP, and winning a title at any cost was Osborne’s interest.

H2: Osborne was interested in helping LP, and showing him on a large stage with NFL scouts watching would help show that his skill was worthy of being in the NFL, giving him a career path (and after a 6-game suspension with therapy he was able to successfully rejoin and play with a team). Separately, speaking of the NFL, LP’s backup during his half season of suspension was another star running back, Ahman Green, a Green Bay Packers Hall of Fame inductee running back.

Given how the media covered it most folks and other teams across the country espoused H1, and there were even some Nebraska fans supporting expelling LP.

But most of those who had at some point at least met Dr. Osborne supported H2, and the fact that Osborne had a PhD degree in phycology (educational phycology) and believed he could help kids be successful in life, this played a role in his decision. Unfortunately, in the long-term, therapy could not help LP.

And I suggest that if winning a title at any cost drove Osborne, years earlier he would have simply kicked an extra point to conclude the 1984 Orange Bowl.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT