ADVERTISEMENT

Mickey on the QB situation this week

This Saturday for sure. But Iowa and Wisconsin? Not exactly unbeatable unless Purdy is playing. It's pointless, but getting one or two wins to end the season would be a better vibe than the alternative.
Whipple isn’t worth a crap calling plays unless he has CT at QB..

I hope their resting him so we have a good chance beating Wisky and Ioway..

This is going to be a handoff and/or rollout game for NU.

It will be all about eating clock (I said CLOCK, for the Iowa fans that live on this board)
Palmer and Washington are licking their chops knowing Saturday will be a day of running routes and no catchable footballs headed their way.

Or being hung out to dry waiting for that wobbly duck to arrive.

• Love
Reactions: Laner2 and Dylman
I didn't hear Mickey say it, but according to the Journal Star:

"If Thompson can’t go, Joseph said he’ll make a decision on Thursday whether Chubba Purdy or Logan Smothers will get the nod. Joseph wants to watch both quarterbacks practice before making a decision."

I'm not going to rake MJ over the coals about this, because I was the one saying last week that it would be dumb to let an opponent know who was starting. Having said that, Purdy can't start can he? Haven't we endured enough? On this board, where we can't agree about anything - surely there isn't even ONE person who would want to see more of Purdy.
Not exactly a QB controversy like who do we start, Aaron Rodgers or Brett Favre?

My insiders are telling me that a QB will play this Saturday. I only this very secret information because I hid inside of MJ's house last night and asked him.

Not exactly, but I'm a little puzzled at the lack of support for Smothers. The kid has shown something in very limited reps.
Don't you think the guys on this forum are about 50-2 that Smothers should get the start?

I just can't imagine Purdy throwing the ball better than Smothers, you, or me.

Unless you're throwing into a 30-40 mph wind, or unless the QB is taking a hit, I've never seen a duck fall faster than that long ball Purdy tried to throw.

Like a dude on the mound, winding up and the ball comes out of his hand in slow motion.

if CT is out Smothers should absolutely start

Haarberg should back him up (changed numbers recently so it will no longer be a penalty to put him in)
I don't suppose Michigan is gonna get after both Purdy and Smothers?

They may feel if the NU backup to the backup is this weak, I wonder what the rest of the QB roster looks like?

Reactions: king_kong_
Don't you think the guys on this forum are about 50-2 that Smothers should get the start?
Yeah, basically. But for the most part it feels more like anti-Purdy than pro-Smothers.
if CT is out Smothers should absolutely start

Haarberg should back him up (changed numbers recently so it will no longer be a penalty to put him in)
Would love to see Haarberg.

This Saturday for sure. But Iowa and Wisconsin? Not exactly unbeatable unless Purdy is playing. It's pointless, but getting one or two wins to end the season would be a better vibe than the alternative.
Sadly NO team we've played to date has been unbeatable as their records prove.

Reactions: bshirt73
If it ain't Thompson (and for all we know, he's a probable for Saturday), why give away which backup will play. To the extent Michigan has to prepare much, make them prepare for both possibilities.
How much preparation do they need for Purdy? Go after Purdy hard with a rush and he will retreat faster than the British and French armies in 1940.

Reactions: BleedRed78
I didn't hear Mickey say it, but according to the Journal Star:

"If Thompson can’t go, Joseph said he’ll make a decision on Thursday whether Chubba Purdy or Logan Smothers will get the nod. Joseph wants to watch both quarterbacks practice before making a decision."

I'm not going to rake MJ over the coals about this, because I was the one saying last week that it would be dumb to let an opponent know who was starting. Having said that, Purdy can't start can he? Haven't we endured enough? On this board, where we can't agree about anything - surely there isn't even ONE person who would want to see more of Purdy.
he also said he wanted Logan to be a better practice player, to basically justify giving him the start. He said that he thinks Logan is a better game day QB, but wants him to prove it on the practice field, I think so he can name him.

He's got to be fair in the eyes of the team, and if they see Logan stinking it up in practice, it's hard to justify it, and goes to every other position battle on the team. So I think that's the reason we got some of what he's saying.

Reactions: mgbreis
“We think Purdy’s the better thrower but Logan, he can make throws also” MJ 11/8/22

"Chubba’s been a lot more consistent throughout" MW 11/9/22

I see where this is headed.
They are missing the fact that opponents now know to limit Grant and bring some heat to Chubba. Smothers gives the threat of the QB run. He can pass well enough to keeps Ds honest.

ADVERTISEMENT