ADVERTISEMENT

McCaffrey's play

My thought is they probably had Luke set as the backup if Vederal got hurt, but they weren't planning on a helmet coming off. In that case they only have 25 seconds to get someone in the game, call a play, and run it. Not a lot of time to talk about ramifications of putting Luke in even if it's only for one play. Could have called a timeout, but in a close game you hate to use them if you don't have to.

My thought is they probably had Luke set as the backup if Vederal got hurt, but they weren't planning on a helmet coming off. In that case they only have 25 seconds to get someone in the game, call a play, and run it. Not a lot of time to talk about ramifications of putting Luke in even if it's only for one play. Could have called a timeout, but in a close game you hate to use them if you don't have to.
because Luke wasnt getting 4 games anyways. sheesh. If, and a big IF we had a sizeable lead he may have played in 4 but now those 4 are reserved for this exact type of situation.

They could have played Matt Masker for one play. Just hand the ball off. Or they could have run a wildcat play with Wandale. Or finally they could have taken a timeout.

McCaffrey didn’t have to play that one play.
he did have to. If he is the #3 guy then thats how it goes. If they were under prior redshirt rules hed not be #3 and masker would be the guy in that situation. If Luke plays in 4 games like that then he will no longer be the guy for that situation.
Are you second guessing if he breaks a long run? The play call was safe but to his skill set.

he did have to. If he is the #3 guy then thats how it goes. If they were under prior redshirt rules hed not be #3 and masker would be the guy in that situation. If Luke plays in 4 games like that then he will no longer be the guy for that situation.
Are you second guessing if he breaks a long run? The play call was safe but to his skill set.
Vedral has to come off. No question. All I was saying is McCaffrey didn’t need to be the guy to come in at that time. Assuming he doesn’t play in 4 of the next 6 games, no biggie. But as someone else mentioned, what if, with 4 games to go, Vedral gets injured (and AM is gone due to a torn ligament or something) and we have to use McCaffrey. This one play then effectively costs him a redshirt.

I admit it’s not likely, but the way we seem to be snakebitten, I’m not holding my breath.

Vedral has to come off. No question. All I was saying is McCaffrey didn’t need to be the guy to come in at that time. Assuming he doesn’t play in 4 of the next 6 games, no biggie. But as someone else mentioned, what if, with 4 games to go, Vedral gets injured (and AM is gone due to a torn ligament or something) and we have to use McCaffrey. This one play then effectively costs him a redshirt.

I admit it’s not likely, but the way we seem to be snakebitten, I’m not holding my breath.
Meh. They would manage it by playing Bunch if need be. I'm not sure if McCaffrey is that much better of an option than Bunch right now. Either way, we're probably screwed against any opponent with a pulse.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT