ADVERTISEMENT

McCaffrey could have three Freshman seasons

You know how dangerous it is to start a thread title with only a name, and it’s a name of a fan favorite as well...

Reactions: GBRforLife1
Likely.

What are the chances he would still be here after sitting on the bench behind Martinez last year, this year, and in 2021 and 2022?

I'd say <1%.
unless his role morphs a bit. Remember we also have Smothers who is right there too. Its possible that he could play a hybrid WR/QB type role, like a more versatile Taysom Hill.

Martinez will more than likely get dinged up at some point. I have a feeling Luke is fully ready to take over when called upon. I also hope that from game one, Frost has him on the field in some capacity. Get all of our Ballers out there at once, Wandale, Luke, Mills and Martinez. I'm at a loss as far as receivers and tight ends go because I feel all of them have a lot to prove

I expect McCaffery will over take Martinez sometime during the season providing they play enough games where it matters..

It’s always good to have 2 QB that are exchangeable unless one definitely out performs the other like having a Frazier or Gill..
Even Frazier with his health issues we needed Berringer to win the 1994 National title..

History:
1963-1965 Bob Churchich and Fred Duda
1969-1970 Jerry Tagge and Van Bronson
1973 Dave Humm and Steve Runty
1984 Craig Sunberg and Travis Turner
1998-1999 Eric Crouch and Bobby Newcombe.

Last edited:
1974: David Humm, but Terry Luck led the team to the Sugar Bowl win.
1975: Vince Ferragame and Terry Luck.
1977: Randy Garcia and Tom Sorley
1981: Turner Gill, but Mark Mauer beat Zero U. in the regular season finale.

2017: Tanner Lee and Patrick O'Brien (just f***ing with you)

1974: David Humm, but Terry Luck led the team to the Sugar Bowl win.
1975: Vince Ferragame and Terry Luck.
1977: Randy Garcia and Tom Sorley
1981: Turner Gill, but Mark Mauer beat Zero U. in the regular season finale.

2017: Tanner Lee and Patrick O'Brien (just f***ing with you)

Laughing

Likely.

What are the chances he would still be here after sitting on the bench behind Martinez last year, this year, and in 2021 and 2022?

I'd say <1%.
I thought about this and agree it could be tough to keep him if that happens, but
1. places to land will be more limited as many other programs will have similar situations.
2. if he does transfer that means we’ve got 3 years of a supposedly better QB in Martinez with Smothers waiting in the wings.

Has there been any word from the NCAA regarding temporarily increasing scholarship limits to account for this year?

if it remains at 85 or is only marginally increased - the 2021 class size will be directly related to player attrition since technically no ones eligibility will expire this year.

Has there been any word from the NCAA regarding temporarily increasing scholarship limits to account for this year?

if it remains at 85 or is only marginally increased - the 2021 class size will be directly related to player attrition since technically no ones eligibility will expire this year.
I thought they said they’d increase the limit to 105 for 1 year (2021), but can’t remember where I heard that.

Reactions: jlb321
I thought they said they’d increase the limit to 105 for 1 year (2021), but can’t remember where I heard that.

thanks ...here is what I found

sounds like after next year they might need to get back to 85 unless there are further changes which might be likely - financially could be a strain as the increased scholarships in football and men’s BB will need to be reciprocated in women’s scholarships

Seniors will be permitted to return next year and not count against a sport’s roster or scholarship limits. Underclassmen will get access to a waiver they can use to extend their careers, but beyond the 2021-22 academic year, those athletes will count against scholarship and roster limits.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
thanks ...here is what I found

sounds like after next year they might need to get back to 85 unless there are further changes which might be likely - financially could be a strain as the increased scholarships in football and men’s BB will need to be reciprocated in women’s scholarships

Seniors will be permitted to return next year and not count against a sport’s roster or scholarship limits. Underclassmen will get access to a waiver they can use to extend their careers, but beyond the 2021-22 academic year, those athletes will count against scholarship and roster limits.
yea, I just saw the same from the washington post.

either way, it's pushing off the roster management issue just 1 year. I suspect next year's class won't be 15 kids, but instead there will be 15-20 whose scholarships won't be renewed/will leave the program.

unless his role morphs a bit. Remember we also have Smothers who is right there too. Its possible that he could play a hybrid WR/QB type role, like a more versatile Taysom Hill.
"More versatile Taylsom Hill" ? Are you that dillusional? Taysom is arguably the most versatile player in the NFL for the last 40 years. So yes I suppose its possible LM becomes a more versatile version but its also possible I win the Power Ball on Saturday too.

Last edited:
Reactions: John_J_Rambo
"More versatile Taylsom Hill" ? Are you that dillusional? Taysom is arguably the most versatile player in the NFL for the last 40 years. So yes I suppose its possible LM becomes a more versatile version but its also possible I win the PowerBar on Saturday too.
agreed. I don't see LM lining up at fullback, H-Back, TE, personal punt protector, covering kicks/punts like Hill does.

he may take some snaps at WR, but that's about it.

"More versatile Taylsom Hill" ? Are you that dillusional? Taysom is arguably the most versatile player in the NFL for the last 40 years. So yes I suppose its possible LM becomes a more versatile version but its also possible I win the PowerBar on Saturday too.
If you’re looking to win the powerbar, I think you can pick those up for maybe $3 at any convenience store... my favorite is probably the chocolate peanut butter one...

Reactions: shocksker
If Luke doesn't win the job this year it's because he's not a better throwing QB than Martinez. I don't think Scott is gonna have a lot of patience for AM not wanting to put his head down and go get tough yards this year. Regardless of the outcome Luke should stick around because Adrian is injury prone. I see them both playing.

For as much as Frost's personal experience would make him not want to bus roll a Nebraska QB in favor of a backup to appease the fans, he will not abide soft play. You could see immediately when Luke came in last year that he's just a nastier cat than Adrian is. Which is great, but he's still gotta throw as well or better and make the right decisions in the passing game to come away with the job.

What I meant be my versatile, was in the stat category. When I looked at Taysom's stats, it didnt show a ton in the receiving category. Mainly Passing/Rushing stats. Honestly, I didnt look that deep though. He would have snaps at all the WR spots (probably not an inline TE) H-back, and QB. probably 10-15 touches a game, but on the field more.

Especially if some of the rumors of Omar not playing right away are true.

All of this would probably depend on the development of all 3 scholarship QBs though. If AMart continues to be #1, is the team better with Luke at a skill position and Logan as #2.

If Luke doesn't win the job this year it's because he's not a better throwing QB than Martinez. I don't think Scott is gonna have a lot of patience for AM not wanting to put his head down and go get tough yards this year. Regardless of the outcome Luke should stick around because Adrian is injury prone. I see them both playing.

For as much as Frost's personal experience would make him not want to bus roll a Nebraska QB in favor of a backup to appease the fans, he will not abide soft play. You could see immediately when Luke came in last year that he's just a nastier cat than Adrian is. Which is great, but he's still gotta throw as well or better and make the right decisions in the passing game to come away with the job.
I like this line of thinking. No one ever accused Eric Crouch being a great passer, but he was tough as nails in the run game which opened up so much for him in the passing.

The other thing is making the right decisions and making it quickly. It seems a qb in Frosts offense has 3 options on every play. There's not a big enough body of work to compare AM to LM there, at least yet.

Sounds like Luke is making all kinds of plays with his feet in practice and is pushing Amart if not surpassing him. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.

Likely.

I'd say <1%.
I will guarantee if he is just sitting the bench he will not be here by next year. The dude is way to talented to sit the bench. No reason he would stay at Nebraska to not play.

Sounds like Luke is making all kinds of plays with his feet in practice and is pushing Amart if not surpassing him. Will be interesting to see how it shakes out.
Hearing and seeing the same thing. It seems Luke is right there with 2am. I think 2am is going to have a very short leash this year. I think Frost stuck with 2am last year due to lack of options. This year is a freebee.

Hearing and seeing the same thing. It seems Luke is right there with 2am. I think 2am is going to have a very short leash this year. I think Frost stuck with 2am last year due to lack of options. This year is a freebee.

Either way, I'm glad we having a competition. Both options are pretty darn good when they play to their potential. I would like to see Luke throw a little more, but trust the coaches in their evals. They wouldn't keep him QB if he couldn't sling it a little bit.

I feel like Scott Frost will play the best qb. Right now that is 2AM. But I do think he will switch to Luke if he needs too. Luke’s brother hit the transfer portal, have not seen if he went somewhere. Transferring is not the answer. This kids will hopefully figure this out.

I will guarantee if he is just sitting the bench he will not be here by next year. The dude is way to talented to sit the bench. No reason he would stay at Nebraska to not play.
Which, if that happens, is the best scenario so we've got a scholarship opened up for the next quarterback. There's a lot to like about Smothers too. I like having the same guy in the position for 3 years. By year 2 he's really rounding into form and year three is really special.

Reactions: husker2612
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT