ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Rhule salary

ivan brunetti

Redshirt Freshman
Nov 27, 2003
So as I understand, Rhule is owed roughly $40 million over the next five years by Carolina. If Nebraska pays him $7million per year for five years, he will collect $40 million overall with Carolina picking up the remainder. AND, if Nebraska pays him $1 million per year, he will still collect $40 million.

Paying Rhule $1 million per year (or less even) would open up the possibility to bump the assistant coaching pool up to $6 million per year for five years. That would allow Nebraska to have possibly the best paid assistants in college football. A serious advantage for a new coach looking to rebuild.

Reactions: Anegada1
So as I understand, Rhule is owed roughly $40 million over the next five years by Carolina. If Nebraska pays him $7million per year for five years, he will collect $40 million overall with Carolina picking up the remainder. AND, if Nebraska pays him $1 million per year, he will still collect $40 million.

Paying Rhule $1 million per year (or less even) would open up the possibility to bump the assistant coaching pool up to $6 million per year for five years. That would allow Nebraska to have possibly the best paid assistants in college football. A serious advantage for a new coach looking to rebuild.
And a total insult to the coach. Pay market value and quit being cheap

I think it could be less as a favor to Rhule to keep earning from Carolina. But yeah it's gonna still have to be a relatively competitive wage. And yes, apply the savings towards excellent assistants.

And a total insult to the coach. Pay market value and quit being cheap

It isn't an "insult" to the coach. I don't thing you understand the situation.

Unless you plan to pay Rhule more than his market value, why should he care if his $8 million year comes from Nebraska or Carolina? If I were Rhule, I would WANT to do what I could to help my new program.

After five years, when it is time to re-up, THEN Nebraska can pay Rhule top dollar if he has earned it.

None of that is going to happen.

Reactions: dinglefritz
There’s language in the Carolina contract for “market value” to prevent this type of thing. He’ll get the full amount either way, but Carolina’s not getting hung with 95% of it if Rhule is the head coach at a P5 school.
this basic fact should be extremely obvious to everyone

the next coach will be paid a minimum of $6M/year, and probably more like $7M/year (going rate)

There’s language in the Carolina contract for “market value” to prevent this type of thing. He’ll get the full amount either way, but Carolina’s not getting hung with 95% of it if Rhule is the head coach at a P5 school.

That is interesting. How is Rhule's fair "market value" to be determined? Seems you could argue that a coach coming back to college after a failed NFL gig is worth quite a bit less than his last contract. Maybe not as low as $1 million per year, but $3 - $5 million per year. It would still give Nebraska more left over money to put into their assistant pool.

Reactions: BleedRed78

Unless you plan to pay Rhule more than his market value, why should he care if his $8 million year comes from Nebraska or Carolina? If I were Rhule, I would WANT to do what I could to help my new program.

After five years, when it is time to re-up, THEN Nebraska can pay Rhule top dollar if he has earned it.
We’re able to pay assistants what it takes without squeezing a head coach hire

That is interesting. How is Rhule's fair "market value" to be determined? Seems you could argue that a coach coming back to college after a failed NFL gig is worth quite a bit less than his last contract. Maybe not as low as $1 million per year, but $3 - $5 million per year. It would still give Nebraska more left over money to put into their assistant pool.
there's only one b1g coach who makes less than $4M/year

"argue" has nothing to do with it

his market value is probably 120-140% of the avg b1g salary, which is around $6M/year

Reactions: jteten
SF made 5 Million for failing..No question who ever it is will be paid no less than 6M..

Bielema makes 4Million.

I like the logic.

lol @ "120-140%".
Nebraska has a top-quarter fan base in the highest paid league in the country

120-140% is very conservative

his representation will be arguing for $9M/year (obviously)

if you don't understand that, it's because you're a michigan fan (dumb)

Reactions: Bigred_b1624
Nebraska has a top-quarter fan base in the highest paid league in the country

120-140% is very conservative

his representation will be arguing for $9M/year (obviously)

if you don't understand that, it's because you're a michigan fan (dumb)

And one of the lowest costs of living.

Coaching salaries are not tied to fan base size, dummy.

Brian Kelly is worth $9 million per year because he had a LONG track record of ten win seasons at Cincy & ND. Rhule has promise, but nowhere near that sort of track record. Also, he just failed at his last coaching stop and was fired.

He may be worth $9 million a year at Nebraska SOME DAY, but he isn't now.

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
It's a ridiculous idea on several levels and not even remotely necessary...you are talking about a school in Nebraska that is so flush with cash we coughed up an extra 7+ MILLION because we couldn't want a few short weeks to fire Frost. If we are going to play tightwad now I would be really disappointed with both Trev and any coach dumb enough to agree to it.

And one of the lowest costs of living.

Coaching salaries are not tied to fan base size, dummy.

Brian Kelly is worth $9 million per year because he had a LONG track record of ten win seasons at Cincy & ND. Rhule has promise, but nowhere near that sort of track record. Also, he just failed at his last coaching stop and was fired.

He may be worth $9 million a year at Nebraska SOME DAY, but he isn't now.
you're joking, right?

Bo Pelini was able to stick it to the Nebraska AD by going to coach at YSU.

He was paid fair market value for a coach in in that league at around 220k annually. And DONU got to make up the difference.

He got to go home, suck at YSU, get paid like he was still at Nebraska, and get out right before he was fired for sucking. Only in America.

Nope, can't do that in the BIG. The coaches here make huge money.

Reactions: king_kong_
It's a ridiculous idea on several levels and not even remotely necessary...you are talking about a school in Nebraska that is so flush with cash we coughed up an extra 7+ MILLION because we couldn't want a few short weeks to fire Frost. If we are going to play tightwad now I would be really disappointed with both Trev and any coach dumb enough to agree to it.

Being flush with cash doesn't mean an entity should overpay for something. Warren Buffet doesn't go to McDonald's and pays $500 for a Big Mac just because he can.

Reactions: huntered
Being flush with cash doesn't mean an entity should overpay for something. Warren Buffet doesn't go to McDonald's and pays $500 for a Big Mac just because he can.
So what's the argument here? That Rhule should be allowed to do something that's against his contract?

You are saying he is only worth $1 million per year to you. That is an insult. It also shows that you're cheap. Which will lead to people leaving or not coming.

I can turn the script on you and ask what difference does it make to anyone where the $8 million a year comes from.

There isn’t a coaching salary cap, making this thread doubly idiotic

We can pay every assistant whatever we want regardless

OP have your relatives gotten their knuckles off the ground yet?

Winner winner chicken dinner.

It's pretty easy to determine what a B10 head football coach makes.

You could show the range of what Big Ten coaches make in court. That would not show where Rhule's "fair market value" is in relation to that range.

So on the other side of the coin, what is Nebraska's buy out obligation if Frost takes another job? Didn't Pelini stiff Nebraska by taking a lower than market salary? Or was it Riley that did that? Don't remember but I think one of our coaches we bought out did that.

UPDATE: I guess it actually was both Pelini and Riley who had next jobs partially funded by Nebraska.

Last edited:
You are saying he is only worth $1 million per year to you. That is an insult. It also shows that you're cheap. Which will lead to people leaving or not coming.

I can turn the script on you and ask what difference does it make to anyone where the $8 million a year comes from.

It only matters if you think Rhule is worth more than $8 million for five years. If you think he is worth a guaranteed $11 million over ten years, then it is being cheap.

I don't think he is worth that much coming off a firing and considering his limited run at Baylor.

You could show the range of what Big Ten coaches make in court. That would not show where Rhule's "fair market value" is in relation to that range.
And if Nebraska wanted to get tangled up into that exact kind of legal argument, and defend the practice of Hiring Rhule at the example of $1 million per year, they could do so.

However, I doubt anyone in the AD would want to legally defend that practice.

They just got done paying Scott Frost his entire buyout even though they could probably have recouped a lot of that money by dredging up the gross dereliction of duty he displayed while employed here. They chose not to.

• Angry
So on the other side of the coin, what is Nebraska's buy out obligation if Frost takes another job? Didn't Pelini stiff Nebraska by taking a lower than market salary? Or was it Riley that did that? Don't remember but I think one of our coaches we bought out did that.
Pelini went home to coach football at YSU, in a league where coaches made jack squat then. He was compensated similarly to his peers in that league, with Nebraska making up the rest.

And if Nebraska wanted to get tangled up into that exact kind of legal argument, and defend the practice of Hiring Rhule at the example of $1 million per year, they could do so.

However, I doubt anyone in the AD would want to legally defend that practice.

They just got done paying Scott Frost his entire buyout even though they could probably have recouped a lot of that money by dredging up the gross dereliction of duty he displayed while employed here. They chose not to.

I didn't know about the fair market value clause in his Panthers contract. So that would stop the $1 million/year idea.

But $5 million/year for five years is still an option. Brett makes less than that and has done more in P5 programs than Rhule.

I didn't know about the fair market value clause in his Panthers contract. So that would stop the $1 million/year idea.

But $5 million/year for five years is still an option. Brett makes less than that and has done more in P5 programs than Rhule.
Bret makes what he makes because of where he coaches (in a dumpster with zero fans/expectations)

if he was here, he'd be in the top half if not top quarter of the league - where the Head Coach of Nebraska belongs

obviously

....and he also wouldn't offer half price because they had a better than average day, the day before, or offer to pay twice what they're asking because they had a bad day, the day before....

He would pay...stay with me here...Fair market value. No more, no less.

Bret makes what he makes because of where he coaches (in a dumpster with zero fans/expectations)

if he was here, he'd be in the top half if not top quarter of the league - where the Head Coach of Nebraska belongs

obviously

All Big Ten programs pull in something like $55 million in football media rights. That is about to be boosted to around $90 million.

"Number of fans" doesn't matter as to what conference teams can afford or as to what they should be expected to pay.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT