ADVERTISEMENT

Matt Campbell is 3-4

Lance Leipold is getting embarrassed by Oklahoma, having given up 691 yards to them with over 5 minutes still remaining.

Dave Aranda is 3-3.

I think we need to keep looking. None of these guys seems like the answer.
no one is going to win every game, but all 3 of those candidates have short track records or marginal success.

i want a long track records at the P5 level of sustained success, meaning quality/fundamental football being played.

no one is going to win every game, but all 3 of those candidates have short track records or marginal success.

i want a long track records at the P5 level of sustained success, meaning quality/fundamental football being played.
Not sure you are going to too many coaches wanting to go from where they are now to a complete rebuild if they are having so much success.

Lance Leipold is getting embarrassed by Oklahoma, having given up 691 yards to them with over 5 minutes still remaining.

Dave Aranda is 3-3.

I think we need to keep looking. None of these guys seems like the answer.
I agree. I think that they are all "good" coaches. But they are not anything special. I would rather keep Mickey than hire Leipold, Campbell or Aranda.

Not sure you are going to too many coaches wanting to go from where they are now to a complete rebuild if they are having so much success.
Exactly, which is why we are taking a huge risk hiring dudes who have had "some" success and who are looking for a change, simply because we cannot get someone who is actually really successful right now. Which is why hiring Mickey makes more and more sense.

Exactly, which is why we are taking a huge risk hiring dudes who have had "some" success and who are looking for a change, simply because we cannot get someone who is actually really successful right now. Which is why hiring Mickey makes more and more sense.
Mickey going to have plenty of chances himself to prove his worth..
Starting Tonight.

Mickey going to have plenty of chances himself to prove his worth..
Starting Tonight.
Yes. The problem is, this team, despite good coaching now, just does not have the talent to beat Purdue in my opinion. I hope I am wrong. I would love, love, love to see Mickey succeed tonight and pull of the upset. The joy meter would be through the roof.

Yes. The problem is, this team, despite good coaching now, just does not have the talent to beat Purdue in my opinion. I hope I am wrong. I would love, love, love to see Mickey succeed tonight and pull of the upset. The joy meter would be through the roof.
I’m not that confident of winning tonight either..

I still can see us winning 3 games yet though.

Wait, so a guy with sustained success at Iowa St is a bigger risk than an unproven WR coach?

You want someone who doesn't exist or someone who's never going to leave their current program for us.

Reactions: Charlie Marlow

I think fans are putting too much emphasis on the long experience part. Neither Dabo Swinney or Bob Stoops had HC experience when they took over programs that were down in the dumps.

ut has rb's driving lambo's, qb's signing 4 million nft deals and 340k recruiting trips...
I'm not sure the folks in ames did all that bad.

If you want to keep losing then yes hire the "safe" interim coach who had a big win against Rutgers. If you want Nebraska to actually win again, then you go and spend the money and hire a great coach.

ut has rb's driving lambo's, qb's signing 4 million nft deals and 340k recruiting trips...
I'm not sure the folks in ames did all that bad.
Iowa State looked just as talented as Texas did. That game could have gone either way. Iowa state had first and goal in the second quarter and should have gone up 14 nil. Instead they gave the ball to Texas who then tied it at 7.

Reactions: redwine65
If you want to keep losing then yes hire the "safe" interim coach who had a big win against Rutgers. If you want Nebraska to actually win again, then you go and spend the money and hire a great coach.
Money is not always the answer you think it is. The “open the wallet and go buy Urban” crowd are living in fantasy land.

Money is not always the answer you think it is. The “open the wallet and go buy Urban” crowd are living in fantasy land.
No doubt, but spending up on a sought after guy has better odds than dollar tree shopping for a coach.

No doubt, but spending up on a sought after guy has better odds than dollar tree shopping for a coach.
No doubt. But hiring Mickey would have very little to do with saving money. Trev isn’t a fool. He knows this hire is critical. He won’t hire Mickey as some kind of cheap shortcut. He will only hire him if he thinks he is the best option. Is he? I have no idea. All I am saying is I would not pass him over just because he is unproven as a head coach. So was Osborne and Bob Stoops and a host of others. And Trev sees something in Mickey. You can tell. I am sure he had a hand in bringing him here in the first place. Maybe even thinking he might have to fire Frost and so get Mickey here. Maybe. What the **** do I know?

Last edited:
No doubt. But hiring Mickey would have very little to do with saving money. Trev isn’t a fool. He knows this hire is critical. He won’t hire Mickey as some kind of cheap shortcut. He will only hire him if he thinks he is the best option. Is he? I have no idea. All I am saying is I would not pass him over just because he is unproven as a head coach. So was Osborne and Bob Stoops and a host of others. And Trev sees something in Mickey. You can tell. I am sure he had a hand in bringing him here is the first place. Maybe even thinking he might have to fire Frost and so get Mickey here. Maybe. What the **** do I know?
There are definite exceptions. All great coaches were assistants at some point. Win today, and it starts to get interesting.

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT