ADVERTISEMENT

Mathis NIL

I also think this will trickle into a lot of youth and HS sport drama.
There will be a lot more crazy helicopter parents getting upset when their HS kid is not named a starter or is not playing their position of choice, getting enough touches, etc.

The parents will think they see $$ on the near horizon for their kid if they get showcased enough at the HS level.
HS kids going to opt out of their playoffs to not risk injury/messing up NIL deal, etc.
The NIL “scouts” will be looking at kids younger and younger.

It was already mentioned, but there could certainly be more locker room drama with all the haves/have nots.
I’ll be interesting for sure.
This is for sure going to happen.

You want to see a huge shortage of HS coaches...it will happen.

If joy in your life depends on the football team, that is simply sad.
I agree, if joy in your life depends on football that is sad.

If football adds to the joy in your life, I don’t think that’s sad, do you? If Football doesn’t bring you joy, stop watching it.

But if something that brings you joy, then I think it’s worth something

Craziest part about comparing it to rape is you don’t really know which B1G school you’re referring to because there has been so much disgusting sh*t that has gone on.
Wasn't Nebraska's mascot just banned because he makes a racist symbol? Like I predicted would happen.

There will be a sex 'scandal' in Nebraska FB or BB within the next 3 years. Take that to the bank. It happens everywhere. Minnesota's FB team had one the year before Fleck.

I’ve been reading that a lot of these NIL offers contain some aspect of charitable giving which I suspect is an attempt to minimize the tax liability on personal income taxes. Which provides a thought that schools that reside in states with no state income taxes could have a distinct advantage over those that do.
Also, I will not be shocked to hear of an instance where a player with a well publicized NIL deal is a victim of a criminal offense.
Wait till tax time for some of these guys. Uh what I have to pay taxes on this

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
Wasn't Nebraska's mascot just banned because he makes a racist symbol? Like I predicted would happen.

There will be a sex 'scandal' in Nebraska FB or BB within the next 3 years. Take that to the bank. It happens everywhere. Minnesota's FB team had one the year before
you are comparing this to a mascot using the ok symbol? that is alarming dumb. please don’t waste your time quoting any more of my posts, you’ll just get embarrassed and angry and it will be really awkward coming from the middle aged creepy guy you are.

BN-XH471_3jSk6_OR_20180202131059.jpg

There will be a sex 'scandal' in Nebraska FB or BB within the next 3 years. Take that to the bank. It happens everywhere. Minnesota's FB team had one the year before Fleck.
As usual, you're wrong.

Nebraska did not have a mascot banned recently.

If you think you're right, please link it. Unless it was a double secret banning.

I want O Mathis badly, but don't think he's coming here. Texas has taken every opportunity to dance on NUs grave over the last 20 years and I am convinced this is just going to be the next episode of the saga.
I haven’t heard any recruiting guy that’s been on the radio this week, that thinks Mathis is coming to Nebraska. Everyone of them say it’s texass, or try to sound less negative by saying “it’s anybody’s guess”.

I don’t see what UT has that TCU didn’t really. You go to UT you will play the exact same teams you did @ TCU in the exact same stadiums.

Come to Nebraska and you get to see a much different part of the country and learn a different type of football.

I don’t see what UT has that TCU didn’t really. You go to UT you will play the exact same teams you did @ TCU in the exact same stadiums.

Come to Nebraska and you get to see a much different part of the country and learn a different type of football.
Maybe he's always wanted to go to Ireland 🤷‍♂️

Uh, no. The extent of the "scandal" you've invented is that a goofy-looking mascot image was switched from "OK" to a thumbs-up.

Over the years there have been some village idiot, potted-plant stupid, too-dumb-to-tie-their-own-shoelaces trolls here who have repeatedly embarrassed themselves, but you have captured the grand prize.

I agree, if joy in your life depends on football that is sad.

If football adds to the joy in your life, I don’t think that’s sad, do you? If Football doesn’t bring you joy, stop watching it.

But if something that brings you joy, then I think it’s worth something
I like football. When Huskers win I am happier than when they lose. I think that’s what he meant. We don’t need to psychoanalize the guy

Reactions: WHCSC
We pulled out the pimped out chair - dare I say throne - but what I really think sealed the deal were the balloons

he’s committing to Nebraska

FQBW55OXoAgOIxc
If he doesn’t this photo will live in infamy on the smoldering corpse of this program

• Haha
Reactions: WHCSC
Kids deserve to get paid, but this is out of control. Even pros have contracts, and both sides have some power.
Agreed. It's definitely going to get a lot crazier and more messy before things get under control. The NCAA sure blew it by not being proactive when it came to monetary compensation to players. Now, we're stuck with this cluster and it's not going to be pretty where college football ends up.

Reactions: regionsdoc
Not related but NIL is out of control
It was inevitable. The only surprise is that they went so blatantly public in an apparent effort to get the fans to pressure the NIL benefactor. BUT you can bet it is happening elsewhere on a significant scale. Welcome to the world of professional college sports.

Some of this was likely going on illegally for a long time but the ability of transferring through the portal really made the player threats to leave credible. Then the NIL factor opened the financial compensation situation up to anyone who might have had any prior fears of legal consequences in the past. Combine the two changes and this is what you get on a large scale.

Regardless of how fans might feel about it, It's obviously a HUGE financial boon for star players.

Last edited:
The NIL is not really the problem. The issue comes because of the ease of transfer, which it always should have been easy to transfer.

But if these players were locked in and would have to sit for a year, the NIL would be/look much different.

With that said, they should take every penny they can get. They are not "Fans" of the programs, it is pretty much their job. Just like most of us are not "fans" of our place of employment, it is just a job and if a better one comes along (or when we actively search for one) we take it.

The NIL is not really the problem. The issue comes because of the ease of transfer, which it always should have been easy to transfer.

But if these players were locked in and would have to sit for a year, the NIL would be/look much different.

With that said, they should take every penny they can get. They are not "Fans" of the programs, it is pretty much their job. Just like most of us are not "fans" of our place of employment, it is just a job and if a better one comes along (or when we actively search for one) we take it.

Here is what people don't get though. In the long run this will ruin the FANS perspective of NIL/CFB landscape. Less viewers = less money.

You should auto have to sit 1 year on a transfer (no excuses besides a coach leaving). This would solve a lot of problems. Even some "jobs" have non-compete clauses.

There are also 130 head CFB coaches BUT over 11,000 players. Big difference with open market.

Here is what people don't get though. In the long run this will ruin the FANS perspective of NIL/CFB landscape. Less viewers = less money.

You should auto have to sit 1 year on a transfer (no excuses besides a coach leaving). This would solve a lot of problems. Even some "jobs" have non-compete clauses.

There are also 130 head CFB coaches BUT over 11,000 players. Big difference with open market.
Yeah, I understand your point. I am not sure how much of a drop in viewership there would be.

What you see here on this site are what I would deem the "super fans". There are probably 25 teams in CFB that have "super fans", ones that are constantly on message boards and stuff like that. I mean, look at Iowa fans, they come to this site because their site must not have a lot of fans.

I think for most fans, 90%? 95%? They watch the game because it is an "event" for them, with their friends or family, stuff like that. I don't think they care so much about WHO is under the helmet they just care about that 4 hour block of time each Saturday.

Reactions: SOHusker11

With power comes responsibility. There needs to be some sort of checks/balances on the players. Agree, if the coach leaves, all players can leave without penalty. But we’ve gone from a system where players had little to no power to the Wild West.

Reactions: SOHusker11
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT