ADVERTISEMENT

Maryland at Iowa

k9_r

Offensive Coordinator
Jul 31, 2010
Game is on BTN and in the bottom of the 1st (0-0 game) Savacool on the mound...
Walk
Steal 2nd
Error on ss gets runners on the corners
Walk - bases loaded
Grand slam - 4-0
5-3 GO
Solo shot - 5-0
K
HBP (on 1st, 2 outs)
Single to left
Steal 2nd
4-3 GO

Oh my Savacool, two homers, two walks, a HBP, one K. 5-0 Iowa

Ha, T6, a Maryland grand slam gives the Terps a 7-6 lead.

Last edited:
Iowa with the pitching but Maryland is always a couple swings away from getting right back into it. Hate that we play all the puds at home this year and the better teams on the road.

Iowa with the pitching but Maryland is always a couple swings away from getting right back into it. Hate that we play all the puds at home this year and the better teams on the road.
Do road wins against quality teams count as more than home wins against quality teams from an RPI perspective ?

Do road wins against quality teams count as more than home wins against quality teams from an RPI perspective ?
Wins are one thing, quality of opponent is another. In RPI calcs those two things are treated separately.

Yes, road wins count more than home wins, road losses count less than home losses. That gets added up and is the first part of the RPI formula.

Quality of opponent gets added up in a later part of the formula and it doesn't matter where you played them.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
Iowa was up 6-3 then gave up a grand slam, a solo shot, another solo shot and another solo shot.

I feel their pain as we had 4 HRs in a row last year that we gave up before a putching change was made.

Getting those big road wins could be the only thing that saves our woeful rpi.,

7go75n.jpg

When it comes down to it, if we take care of business in the B1G we'll be just fine.

But yeah, some of those 200+ RPI games are tough if you drop a couple.

When it comes down to it, if we take care of business in the B1G we'll be just fine.

But yeah, some of those 200+ RPI games are tough if you drop a couple.
I have zero confidence this staff can lead them to taking care of business in the shit 10. They cant even win against garbage out of conference teams.

I have zero confidence this staff can lead them to taking care of business in the shit 10. They cant even win against garbage out of conference teams.
Technically this staff did that 2 years ago. Unless I’m misunderstanding your post.

Reactions: k9_r

Technically this staff did that 2 years ago. Unless I’m misunderstanding your post.
To be fair they've only won the B1G in 50% of the seasons they coached (2020 doesn't really count)

Do you feel this team has gotten better each year under this staff? And do you feel like this team can win the shit 10 this year and get to where they can host a regional. Sorry I just dont have that confidence in them right now. Its mainly the pitching. Hitting will go in streaks at any level, but you should be able to have a decent weekend rotation by the start of conference play.

Do you feel this team has gotten better each year under this staff? And do you feel like this team can win the shit 10 this year and get to where they can host a regional. Sorry I just dont have that confidence in them right now. Its mainly the pitching. Hitting will go in streaks at any level, but you should be able to have a decent weekend rotation by the start of conference play.
I don't know if my long winded answer will help but I am more a wait and see type of guy, with optimism and I'll do my best to explain why.

They had one year in 2020 cancelled I don't read into too much either way. They had one year 2021 they won the Big Ten and took the #1 seed to the wire in the Regional Championship game. Honestly I think we are a couple hits away from possibly making the CWS with that team ironically enough. 2022 was a stink bomb and really no excuse in ever missing the Big Ten Tourney, even with the early injuries to Perry and Bunz. I was actually more disappointed with the hitting and defense in 2022 all things considered.

2023 I have to somewhat split hairs between the previous two seasons. So what I look into is what corrections were made and what adjustments did the staff make to rectify that 2022 outcome. Is their effort and hunger to get better? I also have to be realistic that a one year flip of the roster isn't going to lend itself to a team I'd want to see at its peak.

Everyone who knows me on this board knows I am never afraid to criticize lack of effort or common sense by a Husker staff. I feel like I was probably off the Erstad bandwagon sooner than most. I even remember getting pummeled by some prominent posters for predicting a bad year after we got our butt kicked in a non conference game against Oral Roberts. I felt he was a decent coach but we'd never be successful on a national scale consistently. Mainly because he wasn't at the forefront of his career and was pretty much ready to retire. I mainly state this so you know I have the same expectations for Bolt and crew as I did Erstad's staff.

So the way I look at it:

We hired a young staff who made great strides but some obvious mistakes. They almost set themselves up for an unrealistic build towards a national power in an odd way. Currently I do like the way they worked the offseason regarding recruiting, the portal, and pushing guys out who were not improving, etc.

The positives are they took a poor offense and below average defense and turned it into the best in the league in both categories. I think defensively we lack the great defensive 1st baseman we've had in the past but it isn't enough to hold us back from a chance of potentially winning the league. They have also developed a solid one-two punch in Olson and Kaminska who are a combined 10-2 on the season. They have also shown an improvement in some bullpen arms as of late (although later than any of us would have liked) to improve our chances just in time for the conference season to start.

The biggest negative is the slow start to the bullpen costing us crucial RPI points I mentioned would haunt us at the time. They also have the odd ability to fall asleep for midweek games and close out opponents. So the pitching depth may be the only miss by the staff this offseason. Losing a few pitchers didn't help, I suppose that is on the staff, but if a player wants to leave what can you do? We will always have to fight the fact that the SEC, or the south in general, is more appealing to a pitcher than the Big Ten. So yes, timing hurt with those departures. Imagine this bullpen with Koty Frank?

Another negative I feel has been out of their control and that is the weather and the crazy schedule due to that fact. I think that is a tough thing for a roster that is very new in playing with each other to work through that Southern teams like Albiene Christian and San Diego don't have to worry about. I would actually propose we play down south and even in the SEC until Mid March myself. But, The university loves money and will squeeze any ounce of that potential revenue from its fans in spite of what is best for the baseball team.

So with all of that said, I am in a wait and see but I feel optimistic based on the changes that had been made after last season and the future recruiting classes, but ultimately this is a results oriented business. Bolt and crew will have to win, which includes the Big Ten ever 3rd year or so. A regional most years, etc. Should last year have gotten that bad? Of course not, but I feel like Bolt and crew owned the mistakes and took advantage of the portal more. They also brought in more talent than roster spots and made cuts as needed after fall. They are willing to retool the bullpen knowing they want, and are required, to win now. They stretched out Walsh with very limited opportunities to have him ready for this weekends series on Sunday against Michigan.

Those are just a few examples of things I like to see from a staff, do they care and are the making logical moves based on the cards they have to play. It hasn't been perfect and not all moves have worked, but they haven't been afraid to tinker while knowing what this season means. In the end if they don't win it will take care of itself though.

Whew! I can breath now. haha

I don't know if my long winded answer will help but I am more a wait and see type of guy, with optimism and I'll do my best to explain why.

They had one year in 2020 cancelled I don't read into too much either way. They had one year 2021 they won the Big Ten and took the #1 seed to the wire in the Regional Championship game. Honestly I think we are a couple hits away from possibly making the CWS with that team ironically enough. 2022 was a stink bomb and really no excuse in ever missing the Big Ten Tourney, even with the early injuries to Perry and Bunz. I was actually more disappointed with the hitting and defense in 2022 all things considered.

2023 I have to somewhat split hairs between the previous two seasons. So what I look into is what corrections were made and what adjustments did the staff make to rectify that 2022 outcome. Is their effort and hunger to get better? I also have to be realistic that a one year flip of the roster isn't going to lend itself to a team I'd want to see at its peak.

Everyone who knows me on this board knows I am never afraid to criticize lack of effort or common sense by a Husker staff. I feel like I was probably off the Erstad bandwagon sooner than most. I even remember getting pummeled by some prominent posters for predicting a bad year after we got our butt kicked in a non conference game against Oral Roberts. I felt he was a decent coach but we'd never be successful on a national scale consistently. Mainly because he wasn't at the forefront of his career and was pretty much ready to retire. I mainly state this so you know I have the same expectations for Bolt and crew as I did Erstad's staff.

So the way I look at it:

We hired a young staff who made great strides but some obvious mistakes. They almost set themselves up for an unrealistic build towards a national power in an odd way. Currently I do like the way they worked the offseason regarding recruiting, the portal, and pushing guys out who were not improving, etc.

The positives are they took a poor offense and below average defense and turned it into the best in the league in both categories. I think defensively we lack the great defensive 1st baseman we've had in the past but it isn't enough to hold us back from a chance of potentially winning the league. They have also developed a solid one-two punch in Olson and Kaminska who are a combined 10-2 on the season. They have also shown an improvement in some bullpen arms as of late (although later than any of us would have liked) to improve our chances just in time for the conference season to start.

The biggest negative is the slow start to the bullpen costing us crucial RPI points I mentioned would haunt us at the time. They also have the odd ability to fall asleep for midweek games and close out opponents. So the pitching depth may be the only miss by the staff this offseason. Losing a few pitchers didn't help, I suppose that is on the staff, but if a player wants to leave what can you do? We will always have to fight the fact that the SEC, or the south in general, is more appealing to a pitcher than the Big Ten. So yes, timing hurt with those departures. Imagine this bullpen with Koty Frank?

Another negative I feel has been out of their control and that is the weather and the crazy schedule due to that fact. I think that is a tough thing for a roster that is very new in playing with each other to work through that Southern teams like Albiene Christian and San Diego don't have to worry about. I would actually propose we play down south and even in the SEC until Mid March myself. But, The university loves money and will squeeze any ounce of that potential revenue from its fans in spite of what is best for the baseball team.

So with all of that said, I am in a wait and see but I feel optimistic based on the changes that had been made after last season and the future recruiting classes, but ultimately this is a results oriented business. Bolt and crew will have to win, which includes the Big Ten ever 3rd year or so. A regional most years, etc. Should last year have gotten that bad? Of course not, but I feel like Bolt and crew owned the mistakes and took advantage of the portal more. They also brought in more talent than roster spots and made cuts as needed after fall. They are willing to retool the bullpen knowing they want, and are required, to win now. They stretched out Walsh with very limited opportunities to have him ready for this weekends series on Sunday against Michigan.

Those are just a few examples of things I like to see from a staff, do they care and are the making logical moves based on the cards they have to play. It hasn't been perfect and not all moves have worked, but they haven't been afraid to tinker while knowing what this season means. In the end if they don't win it will take care of itself though.

Whew! I can breath now. haha
Great response. I used to be the optimistic type but the way Husker men's sports have been lately I just can't seem to do it anymore. I was stoked after the 2021 season and thought that Husker baseball should get back to where it should be. Not qualifying for the Big10 tourney is damn near a firable offense. It is a mid major conference for baseball at best.

As far as weather goes, it may be out of their control but it is 100% expected to have uncooperative weather for up to the start of the conference games. That will never change.

I think the pitchers are being over coached. Defense is playing pretty good. Just get up there and throw strikes. You are a D-I level pitcher. Sure its not as easy as that but we have a garbage (170th) strength of schedule ranking right now. I really feel the talent is there for pitching but not sude if Jeff is the guy to lead the pitchers. If the talent isnt there, this area has tons of quality baseball players.

I do hope Husker baeeball finds its way obviously but hoepfully they dont give him a 10 year window to get it done. Another season of not making the Big 10 tournament should be a Frost type move. Make staff changes or lets move on.

Reactions: saluno22
Great response. I used to be the optimistic type but the way Husker men's sports have been lately I just can't seem to do it anymore. I was stoked after the 2021 season and thought that Husker baseball should get back to where it should be. Not qualifying for the Big10 tourney is damn near a firable offense. It is a mid major conference for baseball at best.

As far as weather goes, it may be out of their control but it is 100% expected to have uncooperative weather for up to the start of the conference games. That will never change.

I think the pitchers are being over coached. Defense is playing pretty good. Just get up there and throw strikes. You are a D-I level pitcher. Sure its not as easy as that but we have a garbage (170th) strength of schedule ranking right now. I really feel the talent is there for pitching but not sude if Jeff is the guy to lead the pitchers. If the talent isnt there, this area has tons of quality baseball players.

I do hope Husker baeeball finds its way obviously but hoepfully they dont give him a 10 year window to get it done. Another season of not making the Big 10 tournament should be a Frost type move. Make staff changes or lets move on.
I agree generally, but it's worth it to acknowledge that Big ten baseball has come a long ways.

Before we join the conference they were regularly barely in the top 15. This year they're in the top five or six.

It's still not where it should be considering the budgets and schools involved, but it's getting there. Adding UCLA and USC will probably vault it up to the top three or four.

So while I agree we should never miss the tournament, it's at least worth acknowledging that it's a much better conference than when we joined

I do hope Husker baeeball finds its way obviously but hoepfully they dont give him a 10 year window to get it done. Another season of not making the Big 10 tournament should be a Frost type move. Make staff changes or let’s move on.
I wouldn’t say it is optimism based on lack of evidence like those Frost supporters had going into year 5 though.

I think when looking at each sport it is only fair to separate them emotionally. Last year was an awful year, but in 2 years Bolt has at least accomplished something neither of the other two sports have.

I understand being frustrated with last year, as was I, but would just suggest not comparing to the dismal results the two other sports have brought when weighing whether Bolt and crew are getting it done. I’d also let the season play out first and see where they are at to finish the season.

I don’t think The Big Ten is a great baseball conference by any means but there are enough teams with talent who do care that it won’t be a cake walk to win it every year. A lot of it does come down to schedule oddly enough. Finish in the top three and make a regional is my thought. Due to RPI we may have to do more than that this year, but we will see.

Reactions: saluno22
Sorry I just dont have that confidence in them right now. Its mainly the pitching.
Somehow Nebraska has quietly snuck into 2nd place in the Big Ten for team ERA and right now sit at 66th in the NCAA stats. Don't know when that happened but those are today's numbers.

Somehow Nebraska has quietly snuck into 2nd place in the Big Ten for team ERA and right now sit at 66th in the NCAA stats. Don't know when that happened but those are today's numbers.
I noticed that too. The bullpen was the biggest culprit to start the year along with Clark not quite being ready for that Sunday role. Finding out who you can trust and making small adjustments have made a huge difference.

As I mentioned earlier in this thread the huge roster flip was nice, but it also takes actual games to learn how to use that roster effectively. Let’s hope we can keep that momentum going into this weekend.

I am also hoping guys like Carey, Caron, and Fisher find their bats again as we will need them down the stretch.

I noticed our live RPI jumped to 92 after beating K State and a good turnout from past opponents. Up 16 spots which goes to show how crazy RPI can be this time of year. The loss to Abilene Christian didn't really hurt us as it was on the road against a Quad 2 team.

Currently 8 teams from the Big Ten are in the top 100 (Quad 1 & 2), and an additional in Ohio State is sitting just outside at 105. One big drawback to this conference has been Northwestern as we know, who is sitting at 277. But a couple more in Minnesota (226) and Purdue (242) are not helping much at all this year. With just those three (3) teams added the team RPI average is at 113, take those three out and it drops over 40 spots to 72.

Unfortunately, we play all three this year, and two at home... So not much of a choice but to sweep all three as even winning would bring us down some. However, as they play better RPI teams in conference their own RPI numbers should also improve slightly, however I am not banking on a huge jump.

Another unfortunate thing is we really can't lose in non conference games anymore. Creighton (94) would be the only team that wouldn't hurt us too much, but also would help us quite a bit with a win. The others are all in the 200's and really add no benefit other than extra W's in the win column and additional bullpen work in prep for the weekend.

Moral of the story, just win!

Also, l looked at the predicted RPI and it has us finishing 1st in the Big Ten and 85 in RPI. Which would get us in a regional if that actually happens.

Reactions: BrighteRed24
I noticed our live RPI jumped to 92 after beating K State and a good turnout from past opponents. Up 16 spots which goes to show how crazy RPI can be this time of year. The loss to Abilene Christian didn't really hurt us as it was on the road against a Quad 2 team.

Currently 8 teams from the Big Ten are in the top 100 (Quad 1 & 2), and an additional in Ohio State is sitting just outside at 105. One big drawback to this conference has been Northwestern as we know, who is sitting at 277. But a couple more in Minnesota (226) and Purdue (242) are not helping much at all this year. With just those three (3) teams added the team RPI average is at 113, take those three out and it drops over 40 spots to 72.

Unfortunately, we play all three this year, and two at home... So not much of a choice but to sweep all three as even winning would bring us down some. However, as they play better RPI teams in conference their own RPI numbers should also improve slightly, however I am not banking on a huge jump.

Another unfortunate thing is we really can't lose in non conference games anymore. Creighton (94) would be the only team that wouldn't hurt us too much, but also would help us quite a bit with a win. The others are all in the 200's and really add no benefit other than extra W's in the win column and additional bullpen work in prep for the weekend.

Moral of the story, just win!

Also, l looked at the predicted RPI and it has us finishing 1st in the Big Ten and 85 in RPI. Which would get us in a regional if that actually happens.

As I wrote on another thread (or maybe it was this one!) we need to TCB against the really bad teams and perform well against Michigan, Iowa and Maryland, which are all on the road. We will find out this weekend how they do on the first third.

Reactions: RobsterMobster
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT