South Carolina 22.6
South Carolina 32.2

Nebraska 18.8 (through five games)

• Sad
Reactions: WHCSC
giphy.gif

• Haha
Reactions: king_kong_
thing is... with the exception of Casey/Trey this Offense is mostly unchanged from last year... to be this abysmal in scoring shows just how much the team relied on those two guys and how they really played above and beyond considering the circumstances... Tack on the injuries and departures this year and it's an atrocious situation to be in for a coordinator implementing a first year system...

One more blackeye for Scott, the "offensive" guru who left the cupboards bare

thing is... with the exception of Casey/Trey this Offense is mostly unchanged from last year... to be this abysmal in scoring shows just how much the team relied on those two guys and how they really played above and beyond considering the circumstances... Tack on the injuries and departures this year and it's an atrocious situation to be in for a coordinator implementing a first year system...

I'm not fully blaming Satterfield - just was more informative post.

Frost also took over an abysmal situation and still managed to score 30 ppg in his first season with a true freshman QB and a RB who until that point hadn't done anything. Washington was also getting a good amount of carries and was a true freshman. He did get Stanley Morgan and JD which was a big help.

I completely disagree. This staff should have scoured the country for transfer wide receivers instead of over recruiting high school kids. We end up with a decent Billy Kemp but should've had about four more 6 ft 2 wrs. The coaches were here through spring, they knew what they had!

Reactions: oldjar07
I completely disagree. This staff should have scoured the country for transfer wide receivers instead of over recruiting high school kids. We end up with a decent Billy Kemp but should've had about four more 6 ft 2 wrs. The coaches were here through spring, they knew what they had!

I don't disagree with this either... VERY valid points.... That said, I don't think they could ever see the departures & injuries coming... but yes, they should have got at least 1-2 more top WRs and they whiffed hard on Simms

They got Kemp, got IGC and Betts back on the team. Unfortunately, IGC got hurt again and Betts quit.

I'm not fully blaming Satterfield - just was more informative post.

Frost also took over an abysmal situation and still managed to score 30 ppg in his first season with a true freshman QB and a RB who until that point hadn't done anything. Washington was also getting a good amount of carries and was a true freshman. He did get Stanley Morgan and JD which was a big help.

But Frost only averaged 21.8 in his first five games his first year. I am not saying the PPG in 2023 is going to improve significantly, just pointing out the apples to oranges comparison of a full year vs 5 games.

Reactions: WHCSC
We also had Washington who played well last year and is a nonfactor last year. Betts and IGC came back into the fold. Honestly Betts probably had as much potential as anyone we could have pulled in the portal. Add those three with Kemp and that 4 pretty solid WR's to go with our TE room of Fidone, Gilbert and Boerkicher and I think most people thought we were in good shape there. Throw in the Doss, Coleman and Lloyd too. I honestly liked our WR room coming into the fall. Betts dicked us again. Fool me once, etc. We need to get these young guys on the field. I'm not sure we have a QB that can read a defense and go through progressions needed to spread the ball around much anyway. In the end it probably wouldn't have mattered who we brought in at WR.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
I'm hoping to see more freshmen WRs going forward as we will have to replace Kemp, Washington, Fleeks and who knows about ICG. Same thing with our RBs losing Grant and then up in the air with Rahmir and Ervin at this point for next season.

Reactions: RBigredMax
We also had Washington who played well last year and is a nonfactor last year. Betts and IGC came back into the fold. Honestly Betts probably had as much potential as anyone we could have pulled in the portal. Add those three with Kemp and that 4 pretty solid WR's to go with our TE room of Fidone, Gilbert and Boerkicher and I think most people thought we were in good shape there. Throw in the Doss, Coleman and Lloyd too. I honestly liked our WR room coming into the fall. Betts dicked us again. Fool me once, etc. We need to get these young guys on the field. I'm not sure we have a QB that can read a defense and go through progressions needed to spread the ball around much anyway. In the end it probably wouldn't have mattered who we brought in at WR.

Doss is coming off a broken arm...traveling this week

Coleman is coming off a concussion and has had other injuries this year

Lloyd was injured early but starting to get it going somewhat

But Frost only averaged 21.8 in his first five games his first year. I am not saying the PPG in 2023 is going to improve significantly, just pointing out the apples to oranges comparison of a full year vs 5 games.
That and we just played what many people feel is the best team in the country. The rest of the schedule will tell us more about Satterfield than these first 5 games. Between Sims’ turnovers and Haarberg’s inexperience it’s not logical to place much emphasis on these first 5 games. Michigan is going to make a lot of OCs look weak going forward IMO. Their front 7 are dominate.

the new staff didn't have to bring in Sims and run off CT, but they did

Or the loss of our 2 RB's. Ervin & Rahmir would help our ground game alot.
the new staff didn't have to run off AJ Allen and Yant and make the RB room weak, but they did

People want to blame Frost, but in actuality, the new staff shot themselves in the foot right out of the gate for many of the offensive woes if you ask me.

In fairness they are starting to rectify those things by playing HH and moving Fleeks to RB, but it's been a bad way to start on offense for the new staff.

• Haha
Reactions: BleedRed78
Nikkisixx-You have a passion for the Huskers which is great, but I think you could be more evenhanded.
CT wasn’t going to stay. He was injured at Texas, injured at Nebraska, and MR wanted to have a quarterback run game. Don’t forget his dad got his leg broken against Nebraska, it’s not like daddy is going to tell him yeah you want to be part of that.
According to the local radio guys Yant quit the team with the frequency of an old ham radio. You can’t have a guy like that taking away from the attitude you want in your new team, and your new coaches authority, Even though if he committed himself He could’ve been really good. Betts Had a lot of potential also, but also his heart wasn’t in it – he said the right things, had potential, so you had to give him a chance.
HH looks like he could be good for us. Let’s see what happens. I would love to see us do well against Illinois. It would give these old bones hope I haven’t had since Suh, And then when TM started.

Nikkisixx-You have a passion for the Huskers which is great, but I think you could be more evenhanded.
CT wasn’t going to stay. He was injured at Texas, injured at Nebraska, and MR wanted to have a quarterback run game. Don’t forget his dad got his leg broken against Nebraska, it’s not like daddy is going to tell him yeah you want to be part of that.
According to the local radio guys Yant quit the team with the frequency of an old ham radio. You can’t have a guy like that taking away from the attitude you want in your new team, and your new coaches authority, Even though if he committed himself He could’ve been really good. Betts Had a lot of potential also, but also his heart wasn’t in it – he said the right things, had potential, so you had to give him a chance.
HH looks like he could be good for us. Let’s see what happens. I would love to see us do well against Illinois. It would give these old bones hope I haven’t had since Suh, And then when TM started.
And I think AJ was firmly a Mickey guy and when he wasn't retained AJ was out the door without being run off.

Reactions: leodisflowers

the new staff didn't have to run off AJ Allen and Yant and make the RB room weak, but they did

People want to blame Frost, but in actuality, the new staff shot themselves in the foot right out of the gate for many of the offensive woes if you ask me.

In fairness they are starting to rectify those things by playing HH and moving Fleeks to RB, but it's been a bad way to start on offense for the new staff.
They had no idea if Thompson was going to want to play let alone IF he was going to be able to play. They needed to address QB in the portal. They didn’t run him off

Yant is averaging 30 yards/game for the Florida A & M Rattlers. He is just a guy. Allen would be nice to have but he was pissed that his position coach that he followed to NU wasn’t retained. He was half assing it in practice from multiple media accounts.

Last edited:
I wasn't a huge fan of the hire, but I also don't think he can do a lot with what he has. He had a qb to start the season who couldn't even make basic reads in the passing game. The receivers and OL are terrible, and now 2 top RB's are hurt. There's not much you can do from a playcalling perspective that's going to improve any of that.

Reactions: dinglefritz
I wasn't a huge fan of the hire, but I also don't think he can do a lot with what he has. He had a qb to start the season who couldn't even make basic reads in the passing game. The receivers and OL are terrible, and now 2 top RB's are hurt. There's not much you can do from a playcalling perspective that's going to improve any of that.
I’ve listened to some former NFL Huskers and they say his play calling has mostly been pretty good. The problem in their opinion has been execution and player mental mistakes. That’s not even taking in to consideration some mediocre talent at some positions.

I’ve listened to some former NFL Huskers and they say his play calling has mostly been pretty good. The problem in their opinion has been execution and player mental mistakes. That’s not even taking in to consideration some mediocre talent at some positions.
His play calling has been pretty good. The rest is Nikki beating a dead horse to fit his agenda

I generally don’t evaluate wins and losses and ppg early in a coaches career.

You can check the other thread about frost and how guys are like well I knew he wasn’t the guy j year two because he was an alcoholic or didn’t have his qb in shape or whatever reason they want to pull out of their ass.

But the thing is, stats are just a measurement of where you are at some point in time. Early on when a coach hasn’t had much time to effect change they could basically be interpreted about any way you want and you cold argue the sample size just isn’t there for a good read anyway.

I think big picture things are a better out look on what we can expect. Does he know how to build a roster, works all the levers financial and otherwise to help further his plan, does he even have a plan. Has he gotten players to work towards a goal, is there enough improvement to get to bowl eligibility etc.

So far the answer is yes for Rhule. That doesn’t mean that three years from now he’ll be successful or whatever, but it’s better than him looking like he’s learning to fly this plane.

If he gets fired people won’t be quoting 18 ppg in the first five games of year 1. They’ll say something like he focused too much on Texas speed and talked big talk about toughness but never got us there.

The stats are just there for dudes to bitch about at the coffee shop.

Ajay Allen was 100% tied to Applewhite. Applewhite was recruiting him at TCU and is the reason he was here in the first place. That is the risk you take in recruiting Southern kids who are tied to a specific coach. Same thing with the Southern wide receivers Mickey recruited. No interest in Nebraska. Just Mickey.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT