ADVERTISEMENT

March 25th wrap up. 4 top 100! 4 top 300! 4- 5 stars! 17-4 stars!!

Remember when Bo convinced Bubba Starling to commit just to boost recruiting rankings even though both knew there was no way in hell he was stepping foot in Lincoln?

Also may have given Bubba some negotiating leverage with MLB. I’m sure MLB said go ahead and play for Pelini - I dare you

Last edited:

I know it's unlikely Nebraska gets all of those guys on the list but I am ecstatic that our new coaches are actually going after the elite level players. It has driven me absolutely insane that no coach since Callahan has consistently gone after the difference making level recruits. If you want to win something of substance or compete for it, you have to land the true difference makers on a consistent basis and you have to be willing to swing for the fences even if you strikeout.

As I've said before, my biggest concern about Rhule when he was hired was would he go after the big fish? I had no questions about his ability to coach after turning around Temple and Baylor. I did wonder if he'd stick to a similar formula that worked there or try to get the elite talent to hopefully kick start this rebuild quicker. In my mind, he and his staff have answered my biggest question mark and I'm all in. If he somehow lands Raiola, he's instantly the most successful recruiter that Nebraska's had since T.O. and that excites the hell out of me knowing he's still a pretty young coach so there's a legit chance to build something special.

I know it's unlikely Nebraska gets all of those guys on the list but I am ecstatic that our new coaches are actually going after the elite level players. It has driven me absolutely insane that no coach since Callahan has consistently gone after the difference making level recruits. If you want to win something of substance or compete for it, you have to land the true difference makers on a consistent basis and you have to be willing to swing for the fences even if you strikeout.

As I've said before, my biggest concern about Rhule when he was hired was would he go after the big fish? I had no questions about his ability to coach after turning around Temple and Baylor. I did wonder if he'd stick to a similar formula that worked there or try to get the elite talent to hopefully kick start this rebuild quicker. In my mind, he and his staff have answered my biggest question mark and I'm all in. If he somehow lands Raiola, he's instantly the most successful recruiter that Nebraska's had since T.O. and that excites the hell out of me knowing he's still a pretty young coach so there's a legit chance to build something special.
^^^^ hell yes. It’s a good list for March. More elite talent than any recruiting weekend I can remember in a while… can’t help being optimistic about it. GBR…

Remember when Bo convinced Bubba Starling to commit just to boost recruiting rankings even though both knew there was no way in hell he was stepping foot in Lincoln?

Also may have given Bubba some negotiating leverage with MLB. I’m sure MLB said go ahead and play for Pelini - I dare you
He could've been a star here

He got a $7M signing bonus. Then spent years in the Texas League playing for the NW Arkansas Naturals. He should have played football and baseball in college and maybe things would have turned out better for him. I watched him play several times. Meh.

Supposedly the Raiola's Dad gave an interview a week ago where he said the recruiting is "wide open" and that Dylan could easily sign with a team that isn't even being mentioned. I'm pessimistic, I guess. But that comes from years of not beating out top teams for the top kids.

Having said that, if Rhule does pull this off and Raiola commits, NU would have real momentum with recruiting. And that has been missing for nearly 20 years.

I know Bubba never really had an amazing career but what did he end up making? Over 10 million?

How fantastic would it be to get a top DL recruit out of Kansas City? The state of Nebraska and Kansas City, add in western Iowa and the Dakotas, should be our priority. Add in Texas and other places where the staff has legit contacts in order to know who to go after and more importantly who to ignore (and allow the Scott Frosts of the world to sign).

We need to find good talent with the character to want to stick around NU and not quit after a year or two. You cannot develop talent if you're turning over too much of your roster year after year. You won't get anywhere doing that.

Poor Bubba was a flop in MLB, but he got his millions in signing bonuses.

Why March 25th? Is it just a day they picked or is there some significance?
That is the Saturday after spring practice starts on 20 March. Spring practice started at the end of February last year, but rumor is Rhule wants another couple weeks of winter conditioning this year. So maybe that date was picked because it coincided with some school's spring breaks and excitement will be high with the team early in spring practice before it becomes a grind for them. Spring break for the university is 12-19 March.

Legitimate top 5 class potential
One of the first warning signs about Frost was he didn't seem to take advantage of being coach of year and the darling of the NCAA by bringing in national recruits. Wandale was great and so was Ty but I kept wondering where are the big time visitors? Obviously hard to compare because Dylan is a legacy and anybody coming with him ultimately is here because of random luck but...

Reactions: TheNewNU
One of the first warning signs about Frost was he didn't seem to take advantage of being coach of year and the darling of the NCAA by bringing in national recruits. Wandale was great and so was Ty but I kept wondering where are the big time visitors? Obviously hard to compare because Dylan is a legacy and anybody coming with him ultimately is here because of random luck but...
The more we hear, I think this was a byproduct of how Frost & Co. presented themselves to recruits. Seems like the projected that the recruits should be in awe of them rather than them being focused on the recruits.

Reactions: TheNewNU and dpnavy
He got a $7M signing bonus. Then spent years in the Texas League playing for the NW Arkansas Naturals. He should have played football and baseball in college and maybe things would have turned out better for him. I watched him play several times. Meh.
Or he gets hurt and doesn't get drafted. Guy raked in millions, I'm sure he's fine.

Reactions: dinglefritz
That is the Saturday after spring practice starts on 20 March. Spring practice started at the end of February last year, but rumor is Rhule wants another couple weeks of winter conditioning this year. So maybe that date was picked because it coincided with some school's spring breaks and excitement will be high with the team early in spring practice before it becomes a grind for them. Spring break for the university is 12-19 March.
Actually, it's because that's my birthday! MR asked how I'd like to celebrate this year so I asked if we could host a bunch of highly rated recruits & he's coming through just as he promised!

Strong list of visitors. I know Williams Nwaneri won't sign with Neb. as Rhule is a little late to the party here, but chances with Dylan are much stronger given his family connections to the program

There's a RB from TX that will be visiting that weekend as well who's pretty strong and fast.

stfu-just.gif

Strong list of visitors. I know Williams Nwaneri won't sign with Neb. as Rhule is a little late to the party here, but chances with Dylan are much stronger given his family connections to the program

There's a RB from TX that will be visiting that weekend as well who's pretty strong and fast.

"Strong and fast". That is why you are the best in the biz

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT