ADVERTISEMENT

Luke McCaffrey's stat line at Rice

He's never going to be the guy there. Kid that's playing now for them has a big arm. If they could find some WR, they'll score some pts in the next couple of years.

Reactions: jsachisler
Talk about a career that has been mis-managed. Should have never had QB listed next to his name.
Or he should have stayed at NU and been a Swiss Army Knife. He might have had a shot at developing in to a decent option QB here. Frost could have tailored his evolving option game around a kid like him. I was hoping that was the plan because he sure as hell isn't a pocket passer.

I hate to say this because I coached 2 of the McCaffrey brothers in high school, but Luke is very much reaping what he sowed. He did the same thing in High School. Was adamant about playing QB when he clearly looked better as an athlete in space. Hopefully he has the humility to look in the mirror and face this reality…”look man you transferred to a far lesser program in a far lesser conference and you look terrible, I thinks it’s safe to say you made a rash decision looking for greener pastures.”

Was told they lined up Luke "INT" McCaffrey at WR and slot in a few games. If true, I find it comical.

Reactions: ssmill777
I hate to say this because I coached 2 of the McCaffrey brothers in high school, but Luke is very much reaping what he sowed. He did the same thing in High School. Was adamant about playing QB when he clearly looked better as an athlete in space. Hopefully he has the humility to look in the mirror and face this reality…”look man you transferred to a far lesser program in a far lesser conference and you look terrible, I thinks it’s safe to say you made a rash decision looking for greener pasLutures.”
Luke is a tremendous athlete who could be a difference maker for a lot programs but probably not as a QB. He probably threw as well as Eric Crouch did. He really picked a good one when he went to Rice......:oops: Some of his struggles no doubt there are related to how bad the rest of the team around him is. I would take him back in a heartbeat with the crumbs of humble pie wedged deeply in his teeth. I think the right OC could design an option based offensive attack around his skills.

The day will come when we start a QB that is able to make basic reads and throws, and is able to put the ball within 20 feet of intended target downfield..

It's been awhile.

The day will come when we start a QB that is able to make basic reads and throws, and is able to put the ball within 20 feet of intended target downfield..

It's been awhile.
Huh? Do you have inside info on a transfer?

Huh? Do you have inside info on a transfer?
Nope. I wish.

But sooner or later it will happen, because sooner or later we'll have a coach that values the ability to execute a forward pass when recruiting a QB.

Here is what Steve Spurrier (someone who knows QB play) thinks of our current QB:

“I’m sort of amazed,” Spurrier said. “Is Martinez the only quarterback on the entire roster? Is there never another guy just to put in for a series? Do they have a backup?”

The funny thing about last season was that the narrative for poor play was that there was no WR talent. Well, the WR that left our program transferred to the SEC and has accomplished the following: Leads the SEC in catches, 2nd in yards receiving, tied for 4th in TDs.

He'll might end up first team SEC this season if he has a strong finish. The issue wasn't that we didn't have a talented WR to throw to. The issue was that after the 17th time in a season a WR gets laid out by a safety or a LB due to inaccuracy, he's ready to go play with someone that can hit an open receiver without that receiver having to go get a ladder or contort like Harry Houdini while being pulled out of his route and out of any chance at a big play.

The heir apparent, Luke McCaffrey, recruited by this current staff, couldn't throw a lick. See his stats here. See his stats at Rice.

The next heir apparent, Logan Smothers, recruited by the current staff, couldn't get on the field this season. In a 3 win campaign. Reports up here are that he can't throw the football. I don't know. Haven't seen him play in a real game. But not certain there is any other explanation in a season where our starter has 438 injuries and is losing games at an unprecedented rate.

So, yes, I expect someone, somewhere down the line will recruit and develop a QB that can throw a football. Because that's an important aspect of QB play, and you're less likely to get fired if you have that.

Nope. I wish.

But sooner or later it will happen, because sooner or later we'll have a coach that values the ability to execute a forward pass when recruiting a QB.

Here is what Steve Spurrier (someone who knows QB play) thinks of our current QB:

“I’m sort of amazed,” Spurrier said. “Is Martinez the only quarterback on the entire roster? Is there never another guy just to put in for a series? Do they have a backup?”

The funny thing about last season was that the narrative for poor play was that there was no WR talent. Well, the WR that left our program transferred to the SEC and has accomplished the following: Leads the SEC in catches, 2nd in yards receiving, tied for 4th in TDs.

He'll might end up first team SEC this season if he has a strong finish. The issue wasn't that we didn't have a talented WR to throw to. The issue was that after the 17th time in a season a WR gets laid out by a safety or a LB due to inaccuracy, he's ready to go play with someone that can hit an open receiver without that receiver having to go get a ladder or contort like Harry Houdini while being pulled out of his route and out of any chance at a big play.

The heir apparent, Luke McCaffrey, recruited by this current staff, couldn't throw a lick. See his stats here. See his stats at Rice.

The next heir apparent, Logan Smothers, recruited by the current staff, couldn't get on the field this season. In a 3 win campaign. Reports up here are that he can't throw the football. I don't know. Haven't seen him play in a real game. But not certain there is any other explanation in a season where our starter has 438 injuries and is losing games at an unprecedented rate.

So, yes, I expect someone, somewhere down the line will recruit and develop a QB that can throw a football. Because that's an important aspect of QB play, and you're less likely to get fired if you have that.
ls is a coaches son, cannot believe he is bad. needs opportunity.

Nope. I wish.

IMO, we need a little Spurrier attitude when it comes to our QBs. IF a guy makes a bone headed play then bring somebody else in even if it's just for a series to let the starter clear his head. This leaving a guy out there when he misses WIDE open receivers and throws forward laterals to linebackers HAS TO STOP. I don't care how bad the line is. Find somebody who can deal with it by taking as small of a sack as possible or getting rid of the ball out of bounds QUICKLY.

Reactions: Laner2
Luke is a tremendous athlete who could be a difference maker for a lot programs but probably not as a QB. He probably threw as well as Eric Crouch did. He really picked a good one when he went to Rice......:oops: Some of his struggles no doubt there are related to how bad the rest of the team around him is. I would take him back in a heartbeat with the crumbs of humble pie wedged deeply in his teeth. I think the right OC could design an option based offensive attack around his skills.
at wide receiver

Sigh...

I totally bought into the Dylan McCarthy hype. I thought he was going to be Michigan's starting QB by this season. Now he is playing for his Dad at Northern Colorado.

b7c3cd80-f856-11ea-b06f-41eeee3b13ff

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT