ADVERTISEMENT

Lost my golfing buddy 15 years ago.......

JerseyHusker

Nebraska Football Hall of Fame
Gold Member
Jun 10, 2001
this morning. Steven Strobert worked for Cantor Fitzgerald, he was in my wedding party and attended the Nebraska/WVU kickoff classic game with me. I know we all have our 9/11 stories but I just needed to share this......,

I was commuting into the city that morning, crystal clear day, bought my ferry pass and got a call from my colleague saying he heard a plane crashed into the WTC, I stepped outside the ferry house and saw smoke billowing out one of the towers, I was so close I felt I could touch it but still a half mile away in Weehawken on the opposite side of the trade center. I was talking with fellow passengers as we started to board and then out of nowhere the 2nd plane hits and we all run off the ferry, I went into my day planner, grabbed Steven's number, called it and it just kept ringing. I still have the ferry ticket stub, time stamped 8:36am and keep in my wallet and have for 15 years.

Steven left behind a 1 year old and a lifetime of memories, he was always so gracious inviting me to his golf club, sharing our fantasy football team for years, etc.

I last saw Steven on September 9th, we were at a bar and he comes walking in right after the jets/colts halftime was over, Steven was a Jets ticket holder and he was so pissed he left the game and came right to the bar........we hung out for awhile and left like normal, never to see or speak with him again.

They found Traces of Steven's DNA at a land fill in Staten Island nearly 3 years later, his wonderful parents were able to have some closure and gave them a little bit of peace.

I still remember his Driver head cover, it was a Jets helmet, as a Giants fan I would always hide it and boy would he get ticked.

I am looking at the new tower as I type this, majestic, proud and beautiful.........

To you my good friend Steven...........:)!

Last edited:
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT
  • Member-Only Message Boards

• Exclusive coverage of Rivals Camp Series

• Exclusive Highlights and Recruiting Interviews

• Breaking Recruiting News