ADVERTISEMENT

Looking at the 2 deep for Iowa game....

jimbosc

All-American
Jul 27, 2001
Man....we have alot of non-Seniors in the 2 deep roster right now. I know Collins is likely gone - so Dline has to be addressed (especially DE pash rush). Oline also will need to re-load (and given Langs rotation - we don't know how good the back-ups are).

But ALOT of contributors coming back next season - including DPE.

Man....we have alot of non-Seniors in the 2 deep roster right now. I know Collins is likely gone - so Dline has to be addressed (especially DE pash rush). Oline also will need to re-load (and given Langs rotation - we don't know how good the back-ups are).

I'm counting Collins as gone, but don't forget Kevin Williams is back for another senior year, and Stoltenberg, Newell, C. Davis, and K. Davis have had a year of practice at DT. Not at all worried about DT for 2016.

DE with McMullen and Akinmoladun then Dzuris wouldn't be a bad start, but it's not enough. Need at least one, preferably two more guys including a pure speed rusher.

Agree with the OL, that we'd be better off finding a series here and there for the guys like Foster. Hard to say what we have coming back, and feels like our 2nd string could have improved more this year.

We return every single linebacker, and almost every one of the players who have taken over the starting spots in the defensive backfield. Hard not to be optimistic.

Tommy comes back for one more season, with every receiver who has double-digit catches. Not sure who the running back will be, but plenty of options.

Schedule next year is harder, but the team should be very good.

But ALOT of contributors coming back next season - including DPE.

so other than the Def Line and Off line we should be good ?? ... not sure that reassures me too much

Reactions: studed
Why are you worried about the DL?

We need to be more effective on the outside - hopefully freedom continues to develop but if our DEs can be handled one on one that leaves 3 off lineman + a back in protection to block our 2 DTs. Likewise opposing teams don't have to even consider keeping a TE in to help on the outside.

Iowa is going to run a lot of stretch plays right at our DEs and see if they can hold up.

Agree DT is fine if we don't have another injury bug - but pass rush at DE has to improve.

Oline we start 3 seniors and don't play the back-ups - hard not to be somewhat concerned simply because we don't know what we have. Numbers look OK - but I don't expect to be able to line 'em and see who's bigga right from Game 1.

Also - schedule is harder - I don't see better than 8-4 right now - alot depends on how good teams like NW and IA are in 2016 (both on the road) - and we go to Madison and Columbus....

We do need more pass rush from DE's moving forward (I think Freedom can be a good pass rusher), but I believe our DL will be pretty good next year. I think the group we have now (Friday) will hold up well against Iowa's run game, but could really struggle to get after the QB

Last edited:
Agree DT is fine if we don't have another injury bug - but pass rush at DE has to improve.

Oline we start 3 seniors and don't play the back-ups - hard not to be somewhat concerned simply because we don't know what we have. Numbers look OK - but I don't expect to be able to line 'em and see who's bigga right from Game 1.
True and honestly, we have no idea who will be our starting OL next year or what positions they will play. So many questions:
Will they move Utter to C and start Farmer and Gates at OG?
Will they start Thurston at C and leave Utter at OG?
Will Knevel start at OT opposite Gates?
Will they move Whittaker to OT and start him (he got the call last week when Lewis went out)?
Will Gates stay at RT or move to LT?

DT for next year we have Valentine (low odds he declares), Maurice, Williams, Stoltenberg, Newell, K. Davis, C. Davis, and walk-on Rath.

When did we last have that kind of depth at DT--maybe 2005, maybe?

DT for next year we have Valentine (low odds he declares), Maurice, Williams, Stoltenberg, Newell, K. Davis, C. Davis, and walk-on Rath.

When did we last have that kind of depth at DT--maybe 2005, maybe?

Good depth for sure, but I don't think Newell is part of the equation. We also really need a HS DT in this class. I don't think you should ever have a class without at least one.

Tommy is 62nd in passing efficiency, which won't get it done if Langsdorf wants to run his usual offense. He throws too many interceptions. He's the best QB we have, and I expect that to be true in 2016, but he does need to improve. Good leader, good runner, adequate completion percentage, too many interceptions. He wasn't our biggest problem this year, but he wasn't the solution either.

Tommy is 62nd in passing efficiency, which won't get it done if Langsdorf wants to run his usual offense. He throws too many interceptions. He's the best QB we have, and I expect that to be true in 2016, but he does need to improve. Good leader, good runner, adequate completion percentage, too many interceptions. He wasn't our biggest problem this year, but he wasn't the solution either.

Its been argued that we were only a secondary away from being darn near undefeated this year. Among all the issues we have had (TA inclusive), he's played well enough to have a 10 or 11 win team if the secondary lights go on earlier this year. Even given the square peg round hole or his sketchy decision making or it being a transition year.

A pass rush shores up the D overall - I see improvement game by game on the back end of the D and most of the guys are back.

Now...if you want to discuss coaching of those players and Banker as a DC.....I still have concerns. Hence the 8-4 prediction. I mostly don't trust Banker to put something other than a middle of the Big 10 defense on the field.

Paul Rhoads is available........

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT