ADVERTISEMENT

Lincoln Riley set to hire former defensive coordinator Bob Diaco

He had an entire off-season to teach his assistants the system. No more excuses for our pitiful previous coaching staff.

The death of Bob Elliott was a major blow in getting the new system installed during the off-season, but based on the performance on the field, Diaco's performance has to be graded a failure no matter how much (or how little) slack one is willing to give him.

In Diacos credit, when he’s already got big time talent surrounding his defenses, he’s done well. Not saying we didn’t have talent as we definitely did. But let’s be real, we don’t exactly have OUs star power on defense. So maybe Diacos scheme will work well there. Wait, he’s not going as there DC correct?? Just helping me out on defense?

And two, he was only here one year. If given a few years, I’m actually confident we’d start seeing why he was considered one of the top DC choices out there. Remember our defense started rough, then it started to progress some and to be completely honest, Diaco lost his players...they gave up on him and quit. Now that could have been due to players thinking and/or knowing Riley was getting canned. Now take all that away, maybe Diaco doesn’t lose the players and the defense keeps progressing. All this has to be considered. I know, no one wants to give Riley, Lang’s, Diaco any credit or any due. But Diaco in the very least, had his players all quit on him. You could see it a mile away. And the best DC in the world wouldn’t be able to save that once it happened.

Last edited:
In Diacos credit, when he’s already got big time talent surrounding his defenses, he’s done well. Not saying we didn’t have talent as we definitely did. But let’s be real, we don’t exactly have OUs star power on defense. So maybe Diacos scheme will work well there. Wait, he’s not going as there DC correct?? Just helping me out on defense?

And two, he was only here one year. If given a few years, I’m actually confident we’d start seeing why he was considered one of the top DC choices out there. Remember our defense started rough, then it started to progress some and to be completely honest, Diaco lost his players...they gave up on him and quit. Now that could have been due to players thinking and/or knowing Riley was getting canned. Now take all that away, maybe Diaco doesn’t lose the players and the defense keeps progressing. All this has to be considered. I know, no one wants to give Riley, Lang’s, Diaco any credit or any due. But Diaco in the very least, had his players all quit on him. You could see it a mile away. And the best DC in the world wouldn’t be able to save that once it happened.

The best DC in the world wouldn't have his players quitting on him. Dude was a weirdo and a terrible coach. No need to defend him.

Didn't Bob do very well at Notre Dame as DC? I was under the impression that's how he got the job at UCON.

Yeah, they quit on him, but the overwhelming conclusion one has to draw from that is they quit for a reason, and not necessarily by conscious choice. The reason? Probably because crap flows downhill. Put crap in, get crap out. The staff, IMO, didn't give the players much reason to feel confident.

Now, let the crapstorm begin----again.

I thought you were the one on our board dropping some unsolicited Hawkeye wisdom about how a coach can't be better than the players he has to work with.

Must have been a different mental defective.

Nope. Just checked. It was you.
I wonder what Bob Stoops was doing at the Iowa Football Facility today?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT