ADVERTISEMENT

Let's Look at Some 2020 Stats

We need to play the field-position game better, and that usually starts with defense and special teams.

The defense is improving year by year under Chinander, and if another couple of starters choose to return (I'm hoping for Stille and a safety, maybe Honas, too), we should field a top 25 defense nationally.

Special teams could be helped if Daniel Cerni is as effective as Iowa's 25-year-old freshman Aussie was this past year, and if we find someone to kick the ball out of the end zone on kickoffs. That alone helps the field-position game.

Finally, in order to play this type of football, the offense needs to know when to cut its losses. That could mean that, given the improvements in defense and special teams noted above, the offense will not have to press the issue on third-and-long and even fourth down if it doesn't want to.

It may feel boring to turn into Iowa, Wisconsin or Northwestern, but name the teams that have won West Division titles in the seven years of the current division setup.

Answer: Wisconsin 4, Northwestern 2, Iowa 1.
The defense hasn't improved at all under Chinander. A ball control offense is only effective if you have the defense to back it up. We're nowhere close.

• Haha
Reactions: SkerInCo
The defense hasn't improved at all under Chinander. A ball control offense is only effective if you have the defense to back it up. We're nowhere close.
433 yards/game allowed > 388 yards/game allowed > 386 yards/game allowed.

the defense has improved in every metric under chinander since 2018.

it's not the best defense in college football, but it's unquestionably improved. and spare me the 'eye test' bs, please.

433 yards/game allowed > 388 yards/game allowed > 386 yards/game allowed.

the defense has improved in every metric under chinander since 2018.

it's not the best defense in college football, but it's unquestionably improved. and spare me the 'eye test' bs, please.
How about the most important stat, ppg?

Despite my usual off-season kool aid chugs, I’ve been openly critical of our team... and I don’t ignore what has transpired on the field the last (insert your number) years.

On my optimistic days I see glimmers of hope as we move forward; that feeling that we’re close.

But on the not so optimistic days, I see how we have enough “paper talent” to be so much better but see coaches perpetually failing.

Plenty of reasons to be optimistic, plenty of reasons to reserve skepticism.

Maybe this year’s off season kool aid will be generic brand ‘flavor aid,’ extra watered down to the point where I wonder what’s the point.... but it’s something to sip that won’t send me to court mandated meetings.
Feeling the same. I’m trying to count how many springs in a row I bought into the hype telling my in-laws and friends this is the year. Don’t think I’ll ever feel that dumb optimism again

I can't believe people are already putting sugar on this turf and it's just the New Year. Usually people wait til around the spring game or summer workouts to have revisionist history! All one has to do go back to all the game day threads on here and read the thousands of comments during the Minnesota, Illinois, Northwestern, Iowa games to s3e how pathetic this team played and we're coached!

Most of the posters that post during game day aren't on here Usually because they know it's alot of koolaid sippers on here once the ass whipping wears off!

I'm gone go without doing research on stats so I maybe wrong on a few. Only like 24 points per game, the worst it's been like since EVER. Like one the the turnover percentages in all of college football, damn near deas last in FBS in fumbles. Bottom 10 n FBS in touchdown passes,

Like the only team in Power 5 conferences who won 11 games TOTAL the last 3 years and still has the same head coach. Most disturbing is that alot of our "fans" are content when pathetic teams Vanderbilt, Illinois, South Carolina, and others say NO FUKN WAY!

Feeling the same. I’m trying to count how many springs in a row I bought into the hype telling my in-laws and friends this is the year. Don’t think I’ll ever feel that dumb optimism again

I keep my realistic views hidden sometimes just cus reality can be boring.

This isn't a guess.....a sub 500 team in the SEC took the 2nd best team in the BIG to the woodshed. I believe they had around 600 yards of offense.

That's my point. When we put up 600 yards and 28 points, did we blow Rutgers out?

I don't really get why Indiana was annoited the second best team in the conf either.

Reactions: dinglefritz
Mills was injured and not available or quite limited for a number of games. A person would have to look at the game participation data to be exact. But to be fair, Mill’s time out with injuries has to be taken into account in determining whether he was misused or underused in games during the 2010 season.
His injury status also affects his production in some games.

Reactions: schuele
His injury status also affects his production in some games.
Yeah Mills missed two games completely and looked way less than 100% in a couple of others. I strongly agree with those who get frustrated with Frost for not being committed to running the ball and not giving his RBs enough carries to get into a rhythm. But if Frost was going to ride an RB this season, there were several games when it would not have been Mills.

That's my point. When we put up 600 yards and 28 points, did we blow Rutgers out?

I don't really get why Indiana was annoited the second best team in the conf either.

Ask Ohio State if they were.

Wasn't that close....

Northwestern was the B10's second best team and they pissed all over Auburn. Iowa was the third best team and didn't get to play, but would have destroyed Mizzou. Indiana had their best player out (QB). Wake up

Reactions: loper
Northwestern was the B10's second best team and they pissed all over Auburn. Iowa was the third best team and didn't get to play, but would have destroyed Mizzou. Indiana had their best player out (QB). Wake up

If Indiana had their best QB at the end of the season they were the 2nd best team in the B1G..

Here's a few that stood out to me:

Offense - Finished 4th in total offense (391.5 yards/game, behind osu, psu & md), but 12th(!) in points/game (23.4). Converting only 36.5% of third downs didn't help (10th in B1G).

Being horrendous in the red zone (again) really stands out - 35 trips, 30 scores (pretty good!), but only 18 touchdowns (that's really, really bad!). We need to find a way to score touchdowns, especially when we're not getting them on explosive plays.

It's been said a lot on here, but I have to reiterate the need to rely a lot less (50%) on quarterback runs and again find a way to push the ball down the field.

the offensive stats don't look too bad in a vacuum, but watching the last 2 years has been maddening due mostly to massive inconsistency & tendency to turn the ball over way too much.

Defense - Finished 7th in total defense. that's fine. definitely the best phase for the second year in a row, albeit an average one.

Pass D - 10th in completion percentage allowed (63.1%), only 13 sacks (9th in B1G) an 5 picks (T7th). I think our pass defense improved, and I also think teams that lose as much as we do usually put up good pass D stats simply due to lack of necessity by opposing offenses. we need to be more opportunistic.

Rush D - allowed the 4th most rush TDs (15(!)) in the conference and only recovered 5 fumbles (10th in B1G). 4.2 ypc on the 3rd most rush attempts defended is also.... not great. but, again, I think there's some game script noise there.

we also allowed opponents to convert 40.5% of 3rd downs (10th in B1G) and 65% of 4th downs (12th in B1G).

good news, though not sure how repeatable it is - D was good in the red zone. 30 scores in 35 tries (meh), but only 18 touchdowns allowed. that's really good, especially when we're not creating negative plays, not getting penalties called on opponents and not forcing turnovers.

Misc - We finished 11th in the league in penalties (59 accepted for 60.6 yards/game), while our opponents had 39 accepted penalties for 44.6 yards/game, 9th in the conference. 20 more penalties than our opponents over an 8 game season is a lot.

in summary - we're pretty good on offense between the 20s but among the worst nationally scoring TDs inside the red zone and turning the ball over. defense is basically the exact opposite - horrible at getting off the field, but able to minimize the damage in the red zone.

100% of our focus this offseason should be on efficiency, specifically in the red zone on offense and on 3rd down on defense. those are stats that portend winning, and that's where we're the worst.
And despite all this, after spring ball people will be debating whether we will be awesome or incredibly awesome,

This isn't a guess.....a sub 500 team in the SEC took the 2nd best team in the BIG to the woodshed. I believe they had around 600 yards of offense.
Indiana had a bunch of players out for most of he bowl practices with COVID. The QB they had to start, a redshirt soph transfer from Wisconsin, was starting just his second game at QB. I think there was a reason they struggled.

You know that Auburn is 6-5 this season, right?

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Indiana had a bunch of players out for most of he bowl practices with COVID. The QB they had to start, a redshirt soph transfer from Wisconsin, was starting just his second game at QB. I think there was a reason they struggled.

So did Ole Miss

So did Ole Miss
Ole Miss I think had their regular starting QB. Given the COVID situation and Indiana's QB problem, I think it's insane to draw too many conclusions from their bowl game. Likewise when Indiana played OSU, I believe OSU had some COVID issues so I don't think it's wise to take too much from that game. People want to make hard and fast judgements on some of these things but this year more than any other there's just WAY too many variables.

Ole Miss I think had their regular starting QB. Given the COVID situation and Indiana's QB problem, I think it's insane to draw too many conclusions from their bowl game. Likewise when Indiana played OSU, I believe OSU had some COVID issues so I don't think it's wise to take too much from that game. People want to make hard and fast judgements on some of these things but this year more than any other there's just WAY too many variables.
despite all the roadblocks, indiana was still the B1G's largest bowl favorite at kickoff.

Ole Miss was without:
Elijah Moore 1st team all American wideout
Kenny Yeboah 4th in nation in receiving yards a game at TE
Jerrion Ealy 2nd team all SEC RB
Braylon Sanders 2nd leading wideout

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Ole Miss was without:
Elijah Moore 1st team all American wideout
Kenny Yeboah 4th in nation in receiving yards a game at TE
Jerrion Ealy 2nd team all SEC RB
Braylon Sanders 2nd leading wideout
And they had their starting QB and a bevy of SEC talent as backups at skill positions. As I said, making valid conclusions from a comparative standpoint is tough if not totally fruitless this year. Tuttle is not a good QB.

And they had their starting QB and a bevy of SEC talent as backups at skill positions. As I said, making valid conclusions from a comparative standpoint is tough if not totally fruitless this year. Tuttle is not a good QB.
bevy of SEC talent? I was told on this very website that the B1G leads the country in talent where it matters - at the line of scrimmage.

this is the 2nd best team in the B1G vs an SEC also-ran dealing with a criminal in his first year as their HC we're talking about here.

B1G, as always, is a garbage conference.

Reactions: Mr.Scary13

So you're saying the sub 500 team was more talented and had better players than the 2nd best BIG team? Thanks, that was the whole point to begin with....

bevy of SEC talent? I was told on this very website that the B1G leads the country in talent where it matters - at the line of scrimmage.

this is the 2nd best team in the B1G vs an SEC also-ran dealing with a criminal in his first year as their HC we're talking about here.

B1G, as always, is a garbage conference.
The post noted the absence of skill position players not O linemen.

So you're saying the sub 500 team was more talented and had better players than the 2nd best BIG team? Thanks, that was the whole point to begin with....
I have never called Indiana the second best team in the conference. I think Indiana caught OSU at a good time and was a MUCH better team with their original starting QB.

The post noted the absence of skill position players not O linemen.
no indiana skill player missing was as decorated as the ole miss wr

indiana and their nutty creep hc are frauds, just like the rest of the b1g save for osu

laugh out loud funny you throw the spread away when it's a literal pulse of the public on whether or not all those absences will impact the outcome of the game

no indiana skill player missing was as decorated as the ole miss wr

indiana and their nutty creep hc are frauds, just like the rest of the b1g save for osu

laugh out loud funny you throw the spread away when it's a literal pulse of the public on whether or not all those absences will impact the outcome of the game
There's a reason why NFL teams take QBs #1 in the draft. QB by far is the most important player on your team (assuming the center can snap him the ball). The "spread" is set to attract bets. It's not necessarily predictive of results. A better metric might be which side of the spread the smarts are on.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT