ADVERTISEMENT

Let’s talk 4 star roster distribution...

HominidHusker

First Team All-Big Ten
Jun 25, 2018
Only using 4 star grade by either Rivals or TOS (not composite)
2018, 2019, 2020 classes

QB: Martinez, McCaffrey, Smothers
RB: Mills, Johnson, Morrison,
(*MoWash)
WR: Robinson, Chase, Nance,
Betts, Manning, Fleming,
Brown
TE: _____
OL: Jurgens, Benhart, Corcoran

DL: Wildeman, Robinson, Green
LB: Tannor, Henrich, Hannah,
Greene, Mauga, Gunnerson
DB: Pola-Gates, Gray, Francois

fwiw: 2017 class only has Deontre Thomas and McQuitty left.

Minus TE there is solid distribution of 4* rated talent throughout the position groups, at least three at each level. I know with JUCO and true frosh, they may not all get on the field at the same time, but it still points to a nice upward trend.

Add to this all the high rated 3* guys we got (who often pan out better than the 4*s) and we can start to see a nice roster taking shape.

Time for the coaches to get these players ready to become a quality football team.

2018, 2019, 2020 classes

(*MoWash)
Betts, Manning, Fleming,
Brown

Greene, Mauga, Gunnerson

Minus TE there is solid distribution of 4* rated talent throughout the position groups, at least three at each level. I know with JUCO and true frosh, they may not all get on the field at the same time, but it still points to a nice upward trend.

Add to this all the high rated 3* guys we got (who often pan out better than the 4*s) and we can start to see a nice roster taking shape.

Time for the coaches to get these players ready to become a quality football team.

There are between 300 and 400 four stars in the country every year. That means in two years they have a possibility of having any one of 600 four stars. As a power 5 school we only compete against 50 schools that can challenge us for conference or national titles. So 600 kids are spread throughout 50 schools. That tells me rivals and 247 have bloated the rankings. That also tells me that the kids outside the top 100 are only marginally better than any 3 star....the teams with the most 6.1, and 6.0 kids are the national champions...the teams without these players tend to cluster in the middle of the curve and fight for records between 9-3 and 6-6...based on close games.

There are between 300 and 400 four stars in the country every year. That means in two years they have a possibility of having any one of 600 four stars. As a power 5 school we only compete against 50 schools that can challenge us for conference or national titles. So 600 kids are spread throughout 50 schools. That tells me rivals and 247 have bloated the rankings. That also tells me that the kids outside the top 100 are only marginally better than any 3 star....the teams with the most 6.1, and 6.0 kids are the national champions...the teams without these players tend to cluster in the middle of the curve and fight for records between 9-3 and 6-6...based on close games.

That’s a good angle. It’s been discussed before but hard to really separate kids between a 5.7 and 5.8 for example. Development is key.

Reactions: headcard
2018, 2019, 2020 classes

(*MoWash)
Betts, Manning, Fleming,
Brown

Greene, Mauga, Gunnerson

Other than that I think you just have Farniok, Raridon and Dismuke.

I agree. It is getting the 5.9, 6.0 and 5-star kids. Those difference makers that are a cut above. The data would also be a little less watered down if you use composite, or better yet, consensus 4-stars only.

That’s a good angle. It’s been discussed before but hard to really separate kids between a 5.7 and 5.8 for example. Development is key.
I agrees 100% with development. We are getting beat by teams that do not recruit as well as us according to the industry. So...why the sub .500 seasons? Is it poor evaluation/fit, our recruits being overrated, poor coaching, attrition, or lack of continuity? I believe all have a component but bottom line not enough kids are getting better.

In my opinion talent is not the reason why we lose to Purdue, Colorado, Indiana for sure and even minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa I don’t think talent is a huge factor. It’s all about getting players playing better and making fewer mistakes.

If we are talking about competing with Ohio st, Clemson, Alabama, LSU, etc. ya we got to recruit better. 1 step at a time though

2018, 2019, 2020 classes

(*MoWash)
Betts, Manning, Fleming,
Brown

Greene, Mauga, Gunnerson

I realize you weren't including the 2016 class, but Farniok and Dismuke were both composite 4-Stars that year. And, Deontai Williams was a 4-Star top 250 player clear back in 2014. I can't seem to figure out how Deontai still has eligibility remaining, even with the injuries.

Oh, and I realize ESPN sucks, but Cam Taylor - Britt was a 4-Star on ESPN fwiw.

And the 2017 class was an absolute abomination.

I agrees 100% with development. We are getting beat by teams that do not recruit as well as us according to the industry. So...why the sub .500 seasons? Is it poor evaluation/fit, our recruits being overrated, poor coaching, attrition, or lack of continuity? I believe all have a component but bottom line not enough kids are getting better.

In my opinion talent is not the reason why we lose to Purdue, Colorado, Indiana for sure and even minnesota, Wisconsin, and Iowa I don’t think talent is a huge factor. It’s all about getting players playing better and making fewer mistakes.

If we are talking about competing with Ohio st, Clemson, Alabama, LSU, etc. ya we got to recruit better. 1 step at a time though
We far too often, just look at recruiting rankings in a vacuum and say we have talent. We have had multiple coaching changes, scheme changes, attrition. We have a lot of players that weren’t recruited to the system they play in and weren’t developed. So while we may have a guy that was viewed as marginally better than someone like Iowa has (if he stuck around) that player probably hasn’t been developed or gained familiarity in the same system. I don’t know why so many people flat refuse to see this.

This is one of the biggest fallacies about Husker football recruiting. Nebraska's classes since 2015 were a mirage.

2015 class - signed 21 players - 9 eventually started a game. 5 players never made it a year.
2016 class - signed 21 players - 9 eventually started a game. 6 players transferred within 12 months, 1 just had bad luck with injuries ( Tre Bryant)
2017 class - signed 20 players - 3 players will start a game, and only 3. only 17 of the 20 signed players even made it to Lincoln. Only 6 of those 17 remain on the roster.

Mike Riley grossly undersigned every season. It was maddening. That undersigning already places you behind the 8-ball. But when players leave, it almost seems like it costs you 1.5 players instead of 1.

So Mike Riley signed 62 players in 3 recruiting classes. Only 37 of those 62 players did finish or will finish their careers in Lincoln.

I believe I saw on signing day that Ohio St. had 17 4 star signees. Nebraska had 6. Thats a huge difference in talent coming into your program. Nebraska cant miss on their prospects.

I believe I saw on signing day that Ohio St. had 17 4 star signees. Nebraska had 6. Thats a huge difference in talent coming into your program. Nebraska cant miss on their prospects.
They had 7 of the 10 highest rated players in the B1G. But we did have 10, not 6.

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerssalts
This is one of the biggest fallacies about Husker football recruiting. Nebraska's classes since 2015 were a mirage.

2015 class - signed 21 players - 9 eventually started a game. 5 players never made it a year.
2016 class - signed 21 players - 9 eventually started a game. 6 players transferred within 12 months, 1 just had bad luck with injuries ( Tre Bryant)
2017 class - signed 20 players - 3 players will start a game, and only 3. only 17 of the 20 signed players even made it to Lincoln. Only 6 of those 17 remain on the roster.

Mike Riley grossly undersigned every season. It was maddening. That undersigning already places you behind the 8-ball. But when players leave, it almost seems like it costs you 1.5 players instead of 1.

So Mike Riley signed 62 players in 3 recruiting classes. Only 37 of those 62 players did finish or will finish their careers in Lincoln.
Imagine both iowa and wiscy going through this, just ask yourself, what would our chances have been, and still would be, of mud stomping them?
I mean all of it too, three coaching changes,systen changes,tackling changes etc.

Nebraska signed 10 Four stars in the 2020 class. Ohio State signed 14, but also brought in two 5 Stars -- per 24/7 composite.
And they've done it every year for the past 6+ years. And yet, it took a transfer QB who got immediately eligible to do what they did this year. QB is such an important position and IF Fields had gone down with an injury I believe they wouldn't be where they are.

When your defense is giving up 30 or more points in close to 60% of the games (over the last 2 years) you are going to lose a lot of games.

The offense has been inconsistent, but the defense has fairly consistently been pretty bad. In a number of games we scored enough points to win the game, but our defense has generally been a sieve.

Reactions: oldjar07
And they've done it every year for the past 6+ years. And yet, it took a transfer QB who got immediately eligible to do what they did this year. QB is such an important position and IF Fields had gone down with an injury I believe they wouldn't be where they are.

I think that's fair, but even Ohio State misses out in recruiting once and a while. Their mistake was signing that midget QB out of Las Vegas, Tate Martell. Dude is like a 5'8 version of Taylor Martinez.

I think that's fair, but even Ohio State misses out in recruiting once and a while. Their mistake was signing that midget QB out of Las Vegas, Tate Martell. Dude is like a 5'8 version of Taylor Martinez.
QB recruiting is to some degree a crap shoot.

oh man you know I knew we were fighting with numbers and I knew we lacked the depth but thank you for digging deep and getting these numbers. These numbers are very eye opening and very maddening especially that 2017 class, to have only 6 kids in the roster from a class of 20 that’s is a horrible pace... it would be the same as signing a new class of only 6 kids now...

When it comes down to it after Martinez leaves, Smothers will start over McCaffrey as he is a far better QB, with a very accurate arm with T-Mart speed both North to South and Sideline to Sideline and has the same insane top gear that TM had and is very elusive as well with very quick blinkers. Sorry to those who think it's gonna be McCaffrey's show when AM graduates. Reality check.

Last edited:
Reactions: bshirt73
When it comes down to it after Martinez leaves, Smothers will start over McCaffrey as he is a far better QB, with a very accurate arm with T-Mart speed both North to South and Sideline to Sideline and has the same insane top gear that TM had and is very elusive as well with very quick blinkers. Sorry to those who think it's gonna be McCaffrey's show when AM graduates. Reality check.

Sigh.. Why do people do this? The coaches don't even have an idea who will start, and they've seen all of these players in live action.

Sigh.. Why do people do this? The coaches don't even have an idea who will start, and they've seen all of these players in live action.
It's obvious and logical as Smothers has everything over McCaffrey

Riley was bad?

can we maybe start getting kids here, in state, and maybe even enrolled in school before we start anointing them as the next starter... typically I’d suggest we wait until we even seen them play which would be the most logical, but with these kind of statements it seems like logical waved buh bye a long time ago.... this is the crap HCSF was talking about in his presser where he didn’t want to talk about the kids or put any high expectations before they even got here, because the fans do a good enough job of that already... SMH I’m only guessing the next logical person to start instead of Smothers is the kid in the 2021 who hasn’t committed yet, cuz he is obviously way better... o_O

Smothers was a Top 200 Nationally Ranked 4 star and what was McCaffrey's rating and rank? Smothers also played in a harder class and is a product of the Southeast. What more do you need to know. By the way McCaffrey has only been a QB for 2 years and was only a receiver before that. Don't get me wrong, I like LM but the show will belong to Smothers when AM leaves and will to put big money on that.

weird and random post

Smothers was a Top 200 Nationally Ranked 4 star and what was McCaffrey's rating and rank? Smothers also played in a harder class and is a product of the Southeast. What more do you need to know. By the way McCaffrey has only been a QB for 2 years and was only a receiver before that. Don't get me wrong, I like LM but the show will belong to Smothers when AM leaves and will to put big money on that.

I bet you love the color of his eyes too.

Wah. You also fail to realize thats divided by 22 positions and 100 + teams. True most don’t get 4 star talent but that’s kind of the point of the OP

I recall what people thought when Harrison Beck was recruited. Learned then not to listen to anyone labeling someone a sure success or that someone is better than someone already on the roster. Hope Smothers is as good as advertised! But to say he is already better than McCaffrey is a bit premature!

Wow......he must be greased lightning (to say the least). McCaffrey is damn quick to be sure. But hell, if Smothers is really TMart-Warp 4 fast (not doubting anybody, I've just never seen him play on a field).....he'll be the starter for sure. Haha.....it was sooooo damn funny.....TMart when getting any kind of crease simply left the opponent's lbs, safeties & cbs in the dust and them then shaking their heads (vs KSU, Wisconsin, ect, etc).

But if so, somehow we must get McCaffrey on the field too. He may not be quite the outrageous unreal freak athlete Smothers is but he's still a damn fine weapon. Just imagine what our offense will do with those two "and" quite possibly an improved OLine.

Then add if AMart rebounds in a big way. Jeeesh......God help the opponents.

Last edited:
Reactions: Wyldcard
Why didn't anybody want smothers then if he was one of the fastest qbs in college football history with an accurate arm? Did you see his offer list? I mean he is from Alabama....and they brought in a dual threat qb from 2000 miles away.
Because everyone knew he was a Husker and stay away. He never broke his commitment. All the big boys knew about him. Hell, even the Fvckeye's tried to poach him and he didn't even budge. This kid is a 5 star kid. The only thing that held him from being ranked higher, was the fact that he played for 2 different High Schools. LS is also the Alabama State Champion in the 100 m, what he is, is a RB with an accurate arm. Barring major injury, he's gonna be a blast to watch.

Last edited:
Reactions: headcard
the main thing is the head coach doesn't have a favorite and that the best qb's available are recruited and included in the competition. if anything is to be learned at qb is always be ready to reload, always. (unless your 3rd string qb can hand off to a exact replica of LP)

When your defense is giving up 30 or more points in close to 60% of the games (over the last 2 years) you are going to lose a lot of games.

The offense has been inconsistent, but the defense has fairly consistently been pretty bad. In a number of games we scored enough points to win the game, but our defense has generally been a sieve.
That's because our defensive coaching has been consistently bad for several years.

That's because our defensive coaching has been consistently bad for several years.

"And" our OLine has been consistently bad for several years. With a bad defense & a bad OLine you're going to lose a lot of games (especially in the Big10). Which we've done.

T. Armstrong & TMart carried us as far as they could. But if your big uglies are marginal.....

Because everyone knew he was a Husker and stay away. He never broke his commitment. All the big boys knew about him. Hell, even the Fvckeye's tried to poach him and he didn't even budge. This kid is a 5 star kid. The only thing that held him from being ranked higher, was the fact that he played for 2 different High Schools. LS is also the Alabama State Champion in the 100 m, what he is, is a RB with an accurate arm. Barring major injury, he's gonna be a blast to watch.
So not bad for a running back? sounds like another QB I know that’s going win the MVP in the NFL

also people questioning why Bama didn’t offer need to really remember that Bama hasn’t been great at recruiting QBs. Outside of Tua and Jalen, their QB recruiting has been busts basically.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT