ADVERTISEMENT

Klatt and Pre-Season coaches poll top 25

so much has changed since the 90s. nil, free agency, coaches, conferences. it's just not the same other than the tradition.
What has changed is the quality of our program. Sure we changed leagues which should not have automatically made us worse. Most on this board think the B12 plays HS style ball. NIL hasn’t been around along with multiple transfers so how do you explain the many years before that.

Football is football. It still comes down to having better athletes, better coaching and better play They still block, tackle, run and throw so none of that is new.

Reactions: king_kong_
Too High:

Michigan- Too much turnover and new HC, new coordinators. Will also be hard to come close to how good Mc Carthy was and their schedule does them no favors.

Neutered Shame: Can Marcus Freeman win the big game? Lost a lot of returning starters. They do have a favorable schedule.

Florida State: Lost a lot from last year's team and I'm not so sure they can capture the same type of portal magic this year. Qb played like a cuck in this league with Clemson and I don't think he will be anywhere near as good as a healthy Jordan Travis did.

Alabama: Probably an unpopular pick. New staff (Yes, DeBoer was the best available coach. But he doesn't bring his MVP-OC with him). Only 10 returning starters and lost lots of players to the portal. Teams will not fear them like they did under Nick Satan. Schedule isn't exactly easy. Could see a 3-4 loss season.

Honorable mention:

Oklahoma
Clemson should be here, but their schedule is soft.

Underrated:

Virginia Tech:

Brings back 20 starters and has good momentum. They play a very favorable schedule and a 10-win season and Top 20 finish are within reach.

Oklahoma State: 20 returning starters and lots of momentum. If they beat Utah, they could be a playoff contender and somehow, the mullet finishes with 10 wins and a decent ranking.

Georgia Tech: Their schedule isn't favorable but they return 17 starters from an overachieving team. Tempted to play them on the ML at home vs Florida State.

Reactions: HBK4life
What has changed is the quality of our program. Sure we changed leagues which should not have automatically made us worse. Most on this board think the B12 plays HS style ball. NIL hasn’t been around along with multiple transfers so how do you explain the many years before that.

Football is football. It still comes down to having better athletes, better coaching and better play They still block, tackle, run and throw so none of that is new.
the biggest variable is coaching, obviously. dr. tom to what followed has been at times painful to watch, particularly frosty. but i believe N fans also undervalue the impact of changing conference. they'll die on the bank's steps for that one. and then more lately nil and the portal have leveled the field below the elite.

i expect p12 teams to struggle in their new leagues. oregon picked #1 nationally is laughable. utah as well in the b12. changing leagues that first year is hard. none of those have done well: N, aTm, missouri, cu, ucf, houston, cincy, and the rest. the single consistency there is obvious. uu is probably the exception. we'll see how they do down here.

the biggest variable is coaching, obviously. dr. tom to what followed has been at times painful to watch, particularly frosty. but i believe N fans also undervalue the impact of changing conference. they'll die on the bank's steps for that one. and then more lately nil and the portal have leveled the field below the elite.

i expect p12 teams to struggle in their new leagues. oregon picked #1 nationally is laughable. utah as well in the b12. changing leagues that first year is hard. none of those have done well: N, aTm, missouri, cu, ucf, houston, cincy, and the rest. the single consistency there is obvious. uu is probably the exception. we'll see how they do down here.
Utah will be JUST fine.

Reactions: king_kong_

Yeah, changing conferences shouldn't be overlooked or in any way de-emphasized. Nebraska's first B1G game after being in the Big 12 for years was a total beatdown by Wisconsin. It sounds odd to say this, but Nebraska - NEBRASKA - was not prepared for the physical nature of B1G football. In many ways, they still aren't.

That's why I think USC and Washington are going to struggle mightily in their new league. UCLA and Oregon are kind of wildcards. I have no idea how they will fare. UCLA isn't going to make much noise this year but we'll have to see what kind of a team Foster puts together there. And Oregon just has elite talent.

In the Big 12, I actually think the former PAC schools will do well because the Big 12 doesn't really play defense. And Utah is actually quite physical so they may have some success early.

Reactions: AVeritas

Honestly, when did you think you would ever see both Kansas schools rated ahead of Nebraska? My goodness, we have fallen out of relevance nationally.
You'd be one of the last posters on here that I thought would give ANY credence to a preseason poll

Joel Klatt likes Nebraska.

GUOw6G1b0AAaAhS
More like it!

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT