Other BiG TeN:
Iowa 10
Ohio St 13
Michigan 14
Mich St 17
Minnesota 57
Penn St 98
Purdue 104
i find it ironic that iowa sits two spots above wisconsin, a team they lost to twice, has a better overall record, a better big ten record, and most importantly, has played a tougher schedule. makes kenpom look silly.

Originally posted by otisflowers:

i find it ironic that iowa sits two spots above wisconsin, a team they lost to twice, has a better overall record, a better big ten record, and most importantly, has played a tougher schedule. makes kenpom look silly.
Not if you understand the methodology and why/how it works.

Iowa led Wisconsin for a large portion of both games. That they wound up losing by a couple points in either doesn't invalidate an entire season's worth of data. Furthermore, Wisconsin's "better Big Ten record" consists of having one more win in one extra game played. That hardly trumps a sample of games that extends 27-29 games, and it's not terribly inconsistent with a rating that accounts for less than half a point difference in the grand scheme of things.

Yeah Iowa is two spots higher. The difference between they and Wisconsin amounts to less than half a point per game above an average team. There's nothing out of the ordinary about that considering how competitive both games were and considering Wisconsin is only up half a game in the standings.

Bottom line is that the teams have not and did not play a balanced schedule. Comparing Big Ten records or focusing on who won the couple games they did play is not a very good predictive measure as to what would happen going forward. Ultimately, that's the best measure for power ratings.

i am sorry but you are wrong. wisconsin lead for almost the entire first half in iowa city and much of the second half. plus wisconsin's strength of schedule is better too. Iowa has done a great job of beating bad teams badly, and losing to good teams close. Their only good wins are against michigan, at home, minnesota, at home (not even sure how good a win it is), and on the road at ohio st, and they offset that by losing to them at home. the fact that kenpom ranks iowa ahead of wisconsin, based on everything i have pointed out, is a joke.

i am sorry but you are wrong. wisconsin lead for almost the entire first half in iowa city and much of the second half. plus wisconsin's strength of schedule is better too. Iowa has done a great job of beating bad teams badly, and losing to good teams close. Their only good wins are against michigan, at home, minnesota, at home (not even sure how good a win it is), and on the road at ohio st, and they offset that by losing to them at home. the fact that kenpom ranks iowa ahead of wisconsin, based on everything i have pointed out, is a joke.
You rely on your anecdotes and superficial cliches. I'll rely on objective data.

Originally posted by TheSpecialK:

You rely on your anecdotes and superficial cliches. I'll rely on objective data.

you mean like saying wisconsin was losing to iowa most of both games when they were down 40-31 at half and led the entire half?

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT