ADVERTISEMENT

Justin Jefferson: 4-years, $140M, $110M Guaranteed

Not sure what you do if you're the Vikes...I get wanting to keep him, but do they hqve the QB to make it worth it to let him eat up that much cap space?? Good luck...McCarthy better hit for em.

Reactions: HBK4life
Sucks for the Vikings.

Just imagine how much their real football players(non QBs that actually have to cover, block, tackle) must love it.

The funny thing is, if he continues to play great he will bitch about being underpaid in a couple years. If he starts to underperform, well, then it’s money pissed away.
He is young enough that this could work out just fine though as he really is a good player

Reactions: leodisflowers
You don't construct your roster around a WR.
They were trapped. How do you let the face of your franchise walk? Their only hope of relevancy.

It's what medicore franchises do, but I feel like they had to. They also are spending nothing on qbs for the next 4 years and they got Aaron Jones very cheap for 2 years.

Reactions: litespeedhuskerfan
They were trapped. How do you let the face of your franchise walk? Their only hope of relevancy.

It's what medicore franchises do, but I feel like they had to. They also are spending nothing on qbs for the next 4 years and they got Aaron Jones very cheap for 2 years.
Kind of. But we'll see how dedicated he is to his craft when McCarthy or Darnold are throwing it. And he got the bag.

Kind of. But we'll see how dedicated he is to his craft when McCarthy or Darnold are throwing it. And he got the bag.
But what else do you do? Trade him? Let him walk next year? The whole point of drafting players is you hope they become Justin Jefferson. So, then you draft a 1st round qb and let one of the best weapons in the game leave?

The Vikings are either going to sink or swim with the draft. Jefferson's contract isn't going to hold them back. Who else would they spend it on that would help a young qb win?

Reactions: king_kong_
But what else do you do? Trade him? Let him walk next year? The whole point of drafting players is you hope they become Justin Jefferson. So, then you draft a 1st round qb and let one of the best weapons in the game leave?

The Vikings are either going to sink or swim with the draft. Jefferson's contract isn't going to hold them back. Who else would they spend it on that would help a young qb win?

I think if you're the Vikes you do trade him, pre draft, as he would have brought a good price....even with his one year remaining, somebody would have given at the very least a 2nd for him, and now you get a good player on a rookie deal for 4 years while you get your QB ready for the future....and you cannot tell me having JJ is getting you any addl wins next year with their QB situation anyway...I guess we will see, but if i'm a Viking fan I am scratching my head wondering if my front office knows WTF their doing.

I think if you're the Vikes you do trade him, pre draft, as he would have brought a good price....even with his one year remaining, somebody would have given at the very least a 2nd for him, and now you get a good player on a rookie deal for 4 years while you get your QB ready for the future....and you cannot tell me having JJ is getting you any addl wins next year with their QB situation anyway...I guess we will see, but if i'm a Viking fan I am scratching my head wondering if my front office knows WTF their doing.
As a Packers fan I often question what the Vikings are doing, but this isn't one of those times. This isn't like the Cowboys where 3 players need massive contracts close to each other. Rookie qb, cheap rb, rookie 2nd WR. They don't have a Bosa like player eating a ton of money on D.

This situation is literally what you hope for when drafting. A player so good that he goes to 3 Pro Bowls in his first 4 years and becomes one of the most popular players in the league. Even non-football fans know who he is because of the gritty. Face of the franchise. Can't let him leave.

As a Packers fan I often question what the Vikings are doing, but this isn't one of those times. This isn't like the Cowboys where 3 players need massive contracts close to each other. Rookie qb, cheap rb, rookie 2nd WR. They don't have a Bosa like player eating a ton of money on D.

This situation is literally what you hope for when drafting. A player so good that he goes to 3 Pro Bowls in his first 4 years and becomes one of the most popular players in the league. Even non-football fans know who he is because of the gritty. Face of the franchise. Can't let him leave.

No way in hell the Niners could have paid JJ with all the high-priced talent on that team. Especially once they pay Purdy.

Didnt he have 1 year remaining?? Perhaps that is all the Niners had in mind, they could have made that work. They know their window is closing...if it isn't already, and that would have been a killer move if they coukd have pulled it off. Not sure what they offered the Vikes but I probably would have done it if I wore purple.

100%

JJ will bust and this team will be a mess in 2 years
What is the alternative? Trade him and hope to draft someone 1/2 as good? Let him walk and sit under the cap and feel good about that?

I think you give the rookie qb all the help you can and keep your best player on the team long-term.

What is the alternative? Trade him and hope to draft someone 1/2 as good? Let him walk and sit under the cap and feel good about that?

I think you give the rookie qb all the help you can and keep your best player on the team long-term.
plus the cap is only going up up up

Reactions: Huskers123456
Prediction time....where do the Vikes finish in their division next 2-3 seasons? 3rd? 4th & 3rd??? That's my predection. Not sure it makes sense to wrap up that much in a WR under that scenario. Of course WTF do I know...JJ could make a few game winning catches and get into the playoffs and make me look like an idiot. We'll see.

Reminds me of when they moved off one .500 QB in Case to sign another .500 QB in Cousins. Tens of millions extra every season over Case's contract, for what exactky? One playoff win? Vikes just don't know how or where to spend money.

Reactions: PeliniTheCrutch
In the very forward pass friendly NFL, WR values have vaulted over every position in value outside of maybe the QB position. I would argue that WR1 is more valuable than a DE because teams can get the ball out so quickly now. That JJ money is massive, but making him the highest paid WR ever isn’t dumb. Better hit on QB though. I like McCarthy and think he will get it done.

Prediction time....where do the Vikes finish in their division next 2-3 seasons? 3rd? 4th & 3rd??? That's my predection. Not sure it makes sense to wrap up that much in a WR under that scenario. Of course WTF do I know...JJ could make a few game winning catches and get into the playoffs and make me look like an idiot. We'll see.

Reminds me of when they moved off one .500 QB in Case to sign another .500 QB in Cousins. Tens of millions extra every season over Case's contract, for what exactky? One playoff win? Vikes just don't know how or where to spend money.
Getting rid of JJ won't help them win, especially with a rookie qb. They aren't a team loaded with young superstars that need to be paid and they aren't close to being a real contender. So no point in going crazy on overpaying big time free agents. So my argument would be pay him and stay semi-relevant.

no, signing him was the right move.

i just don't believe they were serious enough about addressing the QB situation and its going to create a mess in 2 years

Reactions: Huskers123456
no, signing him was the right move.

i just don't believe they were serious enough about addressing the QB situation and its going to create a mess in 2 years
Well, to be fair, I don't think anyone ever expected the Vikings to put it all together. They like being mediocre.

Reactions: thall_
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT