ADVERTISEMENT

Just going to throw this out there.

Sinomatic

Senior
Nov 15, 2017
Note that Matt Rhule teams have always been developed and not historically been just immediately deployed after the introductions and a few practices prior to season 1.

Year three, according to his track record, will be the year you'll want to pay attention to.

2012 Temple owls won 4 games. In 2013 they won 2 games the year Rhule took over.(Yikes!)

2016 Baylor went 7-6. The year Rhule took over...... 2017 Baylor went 1-11. (Double Yikes!)

So what's the line on Rhule having the same trend here at Nebraska?

Matt Rhule wasn't in my top 3 of coaches, but given his track record, how can I expect him to buck his MO or trend as a college coach?

We might be looking at year 3 gentlemen.

(I edited for spelling and such.)
YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffsCoaches#AP°
Temple Owls (American Athletic Conference) (2013–2016)
2013Temple2–101–7T–9th
2014Temple6–64–46th
2015Temple10–47–11st (East)L Boca Raton
2016Temple10–37–11st (East)Military*2423
Temple:28–2319–13* Departed Temple for Baylor before bowl game
Baylor Bears (Big 12 Conference) (2017–2019)
2017Baylor1–111–89th
2018Baylor7–64–5T–5thW Texas
2019Baylor11–38–12ndL Sugar1213
Baylor:19–2013–14
Nebraska Cornhuskers (Big Ten Conference) (2023–present)
2023Nebraska0–10–1
Nebraska:0–10–1
Total:47–44

Let's hope you're right. Or else this will be another guy who can't come around Nebraska. We're slowly filtering them out.

Weird how you can win a National Championship here and not be welcome.

Reactions: Sinomatic
Let's hope you're right. Or else this will be another guy who can't come around Nebraska. We're slowly filtering them out.

Weird hill to die on… if Scott Frost won at Ohio State, Florida State, Alabama, Georgia, as a player, and then turned in 4+ seasons like he did at Nebraska, he wouldn’t be welcome any of those places either. Do you disagree?

Note that Matt Rhule teams have always been developed and not historically been just immediately deployed after the introductions and a few practices prior to season 1.

Year three, according to his track record, will be the year you'll want to pay attention to.

2012 Temple owls won 4 games. In 2013 they won 2 games the year Rhule took over.(Yikes!)

2016 Baylor went 7-6. The year Rhule took over...... 2017 Baylor went 1-11. (Double Yikes!)

Matt Rhule wasn't in my top 3 of coaches, but given his track record, how can I expect him to buck his MO or trend as a college coach?

2013Temple2–101–7T–9th
2014Temple6–64–46th
2017Baylor1–111–89th
2023Nebraska0–10–1
Never saw any of these stats before.
Ground breaking research here.

Thanks for bringing us all up to speed…..

@GBRforLife1, you been MIA for many months, showing up for the first time after Rhule’s first game, which happens to be a loss. I’m guessing had it been a win last night, you would have remained MIA, until something bad happened. What gives? Where have you been?
Good to know you missed me.

But your post is factually incorrect.

Work on your accuracy sir.

Three years before we see any type of team that can compete for a championship. The Oline and QB has got to be upgraded before we can realistically think of a winning program of consistency .

Reactions: Pennsyhusker
Good to know you missed me.

But your post is factually incorrect.

Work on your accuracy sir.
My Apologies, I was obviously thinking of someone else. Please forgive my ignorance and laziness for not double checking before I hit ‘post reply’.

Baylor was coming off of a four-year sexual assault scandal. They got too good and upset the Longhorn gods, and paid the price. Rhule had nothing to do with it, and everything with trying to pick up the pieces.

The thing people always conveniently seems to always over look about Rhule’s “fantastic turn around” at Temple

2011 Temple went 9-4 and won their bowl game.
2010 Temple went 8-4
2008 Temple went 9-4

How exactly did Rhule “build Temple’s program as a HC” when they had winning records 3 out of 4 years before he became HC?

The 2016 Baylor Bears team went to a bowl game and had a winning record. The year after Briles and Before Rhule. Rhule ended a 7 season bowl streak for Baylor his first year @ Baylor. the bulk of the distractions in Baylor occurred under Grobe not Rhule.

I actually think Rhule will be good here. I don’t think he’s a miracle worker. I think the guy just isn’t a fast learner… he can’t make do.

• Haha
Reactions: Mr.Scary13
The thing people always conveniently seems to always over look about Rhule’s “fantastic turn around” at Temple

2010 Temple went 8-4
2008 Temple went 9-4

How exactly did Rhule “build Temple’s program as a HC” when they had winning records 3 out of 4 years before he became HC?

The 2016 Baylor Bears team went to a bowl game and had a winning record. The year after Briles and Before Rhule. Rhule ended a 7 season bowl streak for Baylor his first year @ Baylor. the bulk of the distractions in Baylor occurred under Grobe not Rhule.

I actually think Rhule will be good here. I don’t think he’s a miracle worker. I think the guy just isn’t a fast learner… he can’t make do.
You may have a point about temple, but Baylor was in shambles. What he did there was pretty amazing. So many players transferred out after the sexual assault scandal and he was left with nothing. This, before the transfer portal.

2010 Temple went 8-4
2008 Temple went 9-4

I think you are overlooking how many players Baylor had when Rhule got there. Down a bunch of scholarship players. Depleted roster as far as I understand but I'm not an expert on Baylor.

Reactions: BleedRed78
Not really, that's the reality of big time athletics now. I don't think he'll be 1-11, but if he is then it's time to cut him instead of getting caught in a sunk cost fallacy.

I'm not predicting 1-11, I'm just trying to make a point that a lot of fans are kind of accepting a bad season because its the way it went at Temple and Baylor.

I think we have a chance to win 3-4 games, as far as a prediction.

2013Temple2–101–7T–9th
2014Temple6–64–46th
2017Baylor1–111–89th
2023Nebraska0–10–1
3-star talent won’t dominate the Big10, outside a freak/outlier (Northwestern, for One season). Prove otherwise.

3-star talent won’t dominate the Big10, outside a freak/outlier (Northwestern, for One season). Prove otherwise.
I can do you better... 4 star talent can't dominate the big ten. I'll submit Nebraska and Penn State as examples.

If HCMR can duplicate what he did at Temple and Baylor here at Nebraska, he can win the big ten. That's exciting. But it might take him 2 seasons to get a 9 to 10 win season given his record.

What happens around here if Nebraska take the dip like his other teams he's coached in his first year and he goes 3 wins? Or even 2!?!?

I do not understand why people will spend $10/Mo to pee on their own tires.

I'm not predicting 1-11, I'm just trying to make a point that a lot of fans are kind of accepting a bad season because its the way it went at Temple and Baylor.

3 would really suck - that would basically be beating the two payday opponents (Northern Illinois and Louisiana Tech) and probably Northwestern.

It’s not just that Frost didn’t win here that made him unwelcome. It’s that when he became the head coach here he had a choice between being an Osborne protege and being a frat boy.

The quotes by Se’vere, Stai, McKewon show which path he took.

If he goes 3 or 4 wins, the team has to show improvement as the season goes on, especially this weak ass offense.

Reactions: maly and BleedRed78
I would not can the Minn game a loss. It was more like avoiding victory. That is 100% on the coaches and they are getting paid well enough that it shouldn’t happen.
I like how you put that - avoiding victory.

However, I can't say it was 100% on the coaches. The INT at the end of the 1st half....I can't believe the coaches didn't tell Sims "Throw it away if it's not immediately wide open". And even if they didn't tell him - all of us here knew what to do in that scenario. Surely Sims did, too. He just choked.

Same with the Grant fumble. I imagine the coaches were reminding everyone of ball security on that drive. It's definitely on the coaches for having their fumble-prone back in the game. And, the Minnesota defender made a good play by punching at the ball...Grant needs to have both hands on the ball in traffic there.

The final INT...again, that's on Sims.

I'm not giving the coaches a free pass...but that game was lost because of a failure to execute some pretty fundamental things.

I like how you put that - avoiding victory.

However, I can't say it was 100% on the coaches. The INT at the end of the 1st half....I can't believe the coaches didn't tell Sims "Throw it away if it's not immediately wide open". And even if they didn't tell him - all of us here knew what to do in that scenario. Surely Sims did, too. He just choked.

Same with the Grant fumble. I imagine the coaches were reminding everyone of ball security on that drive. It's definitely on the coaches for having their fumble-prone back in the game. And, the Minnesota defender made a good play by punching at the ball...Grant needs to have both hands on the ball in traffic there.

The final INT...again, that's on Sims.

I'm not giving the coaches a free pass...but that game was lost because of a failure to execute some pretty fundamental things.
I can agree with the first two scenarios. The last one, did we need to be throwing? We probably needed 15-20 yards still, but the worst that happens is we go to overtime.

That’s my only gripe about the last play.

Nebraska doesn't have that kind of time.... I Love the concept of building for the long haul from the foundation up and training kids in the system... That said, time is against Nebraska to do such a thing

Right now, this year we have a schedule favorable to a new team to build momentum... If this year is squandered away, do we really think things will get easier with the new additions to the conference?

the Flex schedule originally put out back in June was kind to us next year (IMO) but now with Oregon & Washington joining that's gonna add serious wrinkles that will only add to the competition level... It'll be interesting to see how the schedule looks next year, my prediction is that it won't pan out that well for us

Nebraska doesn't have that kind of time.... I Love the concept of building for the long haul from the foundation up and training kids in the system... That said, time is against Nebraska to do such a thing

Right now, this year we have a schedule favorable to a new team to build momentum... If this year is squandered away, do we really think things will get easier with the new additions to the conference?

the Flex schedule originally put out back in June was kind to us next year (IMO) but now with Oregon & Washington joining that's gonna add serious wrinkles that will only add to the competition level... It'll be interesting to see how the schedule looks next year, my prediction is that it won't pan out that well for us

All true, but if we’re having to rely on weak schedules to seem successful, then we’re not that good anyway.

I would not can the Minn game a loss. It was more like avoiding victory. That is 100% on the coaches and they are getting paid well enough that it shouldn’t happen.
Nobody avoids victory like Nebraska.

It’s not just that Frost didn’t win here that made him unwelcome. It’s that when he became the head coach here he had a choice between being an Osborne protege and being a frat boy.

The quotes by Se’vere, Stai, McKewon show which path he took.
Which quotes?

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT