ADVERTISEMENT

Just Curious

rgrachek

Athletic Director
Gold Member
Dec 2, 2004
Obviously there are a lot of opinions on NIL and it seems to follow age lines to some extent with the older fans less enthusiastic about giving kids a ton of money to play for DONU. So I pose a hypothetical:

Say some how, some way we had say $50 million a year lying around available for NIL, where we could afford to have say 20 players getting $1M per year, 30 players getting $500k per year, and the remainder going to the rest of the team. Is that something that you personally would actually want to do? Does it mean that much to you to spend that much money so you can say your State's team wins more football games?

I just wonder what people's limits are on this stuff, and whether anyone who's into this kind of stuff can see the obvious downsides of all of this, the largest 2 being:

1. Just the general issue of with all of the needs of a University, is this a good use of donated money (I know the answer is yes to the ardent fan, but have you even considered this?)

2. What happens to a young kid from an athletic standpoint when you set him up so well with no real performance metrics that he has far less incentive to excel to the next level? I know from an academic standpoint, had someone given me $1 million a year to go to school, I wouldn't have studied anywhere near as hard as when my performance depended on me killing myself to get my degrees so I could take care of my family later. These kids are young and generally undeveloped. Are we crippling them performance wise?

I'm just curious what people think. Please no smart ass answers, I'm fascinated by this.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT

Go Big.
Get Premium.

Join Rivals.com to access this premium section.

• Member-Only Message Boards
  • Exclusive coverage of Rivals Series
  • Exclusive Recruiting Interviews
  • Breaking Recruiting News