ADVERTISEMENT

Just be aware

c3o

Graduate Assistant
Apr 24, 2018
Next week could be a let down game. Watching the disfunction after the half made this a very real possibility. I think our defense will still function at a high capacity but our offense could be potentially disappointing.

Just keeping it real. First half last night I thought we were winning every game. Second half gave me some second thoughts.

31-10 Neb ovr UNI after a very sloppy start

Next week could be a let down game. Watching the disfunction after the half made this a very real possibility. I think our defense will still function at a high capacity but our offense could be potentially disappointing.

Just keeping it real. First half last night I thought we were winning every game. Second half gave me some second thoughts.

Matt Rhule and his staff job is to not let this happen..I can see a trap game down the road against Rutgers or Indiana but not Northern Io_a..

I hope it's because we got too conservative. Colorado made adjustments. The refs stepped in. We should have played power football and wore them completely down and milked the clock

Certainly a let down spot. But this staff is really in tune to avoid such a thing happening. I think that the offense will be much better-- CU wasn't a great matchup for us with Travis Hunter & their DBs taking away our top two wide outs. All in all though, 31-10 would actually be a good result for this program. I would take it.

I don't think the staff will let that happen. Rhule has already let that be known. Even though he was stoked at the end of the game, he was furious about the mental breakdowns. This is all part of the reassembling process of a losing team. Brick by brick. I think DR learned alot last night about Power 4 speed and physicality. He will make a big jump next week

You are correct, but I think it's less of a risk after that debacle of a second half than it would have been if we had come out of that game with a 49-3 win.

I hope it's because we got too conservative. Colorado made adjustments. The refs stepped in. We should have played power football and wore them completely down and milked the clock
I would like for someone to add up the total yards called back and points lost due to the penalties. I am guessing about 200 and 10 points.

Dylan is a smart QB too. With the big lead and the way the defense was playing, the only way for the Buffs to have a chance would have been with a pick six by Hunter in the 2nd half or something cheap. So they didn't do a lot of things downfield in the 2nd half.

Definitely agree that we should have tried to wear them down. Apparently, I-formation with the fullback is mainly just a short yardage & red zone package because otherwise it would have made perfect sense to do more of that. As it was though, the clock kept moving and the 2nd half got over pretty quick. Avoiding the 3 & outs & scoring a 2nd half TD would have made everyone feel more comfortable with the outcome.

Dylan is a smart QB too. With the big lead and the way the defense was playing, the only way for the Buffs to have a chance would have been with a pick six by Hunter in the 2nd half or something cheap. Style points don't matter.

Definitely agree that we should have tried to wear them down. Apparently, I-formation with the fullback is mainly just a short yardage & red zone package because otherwise it would have made perfect sense to do more of that. As it was though, the clock kept moving and the 2nd half got over pretty quick. Avoiding the 3 & outs & scoring a 2nd half TD would have made everyone feel more comfortable with the outcome.

Yes. Great change of pace.

Last year, there would have been a pair of QB turnovers in the second half as things began to get wobbly, instantly throwing gasoline on the fire.

You can debate the second half play calling all you want, we were never in any danger of losing that game. Couple that with having to deal the Texas mafia, they still came away with a dominant win.
That officiating crew shouldn’t be allowed to officiate a peewee game, my guess they decided at halftime they were going to let Colorado get blown out

I share the OP’s concern somewhat. We are really bad on special teams and our offensive line regressed to its old form in the second half. But I think, as pointed out above, that given how our defense was playing, there was no need for us to take risks. I think we will be fine. We just can’t tolerate the blatant cheating by refs going forward. I hope Rhule makes a formal complaint.

Reactions: headcard
I share the OP’s concern somewhat. We are really bad on special teams and our offensive line regressed to its old form in the second half. But I think, as pointed out above, that given how our defense was playing, there was no need for us to take risks. I think we will be fine. We just can’t tolerate the blatant cheating by refs going forward. I hope Rhule makes a formal complaint.
While the Oline definitely wasn't great the 2nd half, I feel like I can't be too critical when they were being called for holds for basically nothing while Colorado was actually holding almost every play and it wasn't getting called.

To add to this

If you look at the stats in passing Dylan still threw 23/30 passes for 185 and a touchdown. Looking further at the stats Rahmir was the leading receiver in both receptions and yards. Clearly there was not much desire to push the ball down field.

Alvano needs to be demoted for the next game and let’s see what the other kicker can do..

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT