ADVERTISEMENT

John Butler- New DBs coach. DC in waiting?

Sounds like the A-Team
image20-8.gif

Do you like the hire?
The bills have consistently not gotten the stops they’ve needed in order to win when it matters most

I don’t know anything about this guy and neither does anyone else, so I have no opinion. I hope he’s good but I suspect he’s on the market for a reason.

The secondary was a big question mark prior to the coach leaving. Now even more so.

Butler has spent the past 10 seasons in the NFL with the Bills and Houston Texans. He coached the Bills' DBs for the past six seasons and the Texans' DBs before that, from 2014-2017.

Before his time with the Texans, the 51-year-old Butler was in the Big Ten coaching at Penn State. He held the role of DBs coach in 2012 and was the Nittany Lions' defensive coordinator/DBs coach under Bill O'Brien in 2013.

There's a connection between Nebraska's general manager, Sean Padden, and Butler. Both went to Catholic University, a Division III program in Washington, D.C. That's where Butler played and started his coaching career, and it's where Padden was a player as a well. Butler was the DBs coach in 1995 and the DC in 1996. Padden was the scout team player of the year in 1995.

Butler has Big Ten coaching experience outside of his time at Penn State as well. He was the special teams coach/linebackers coach at Minnesota from 2007-10. After his stint with the Golden Gophers, he went to South Carolina for the same role.

Butler also spent two seasons, 1999 and 2000, at Midwestern State, which is the same program current Husker quarterbacks coach Glenn Thomas coached for seven years (2001-2007) before landing a coaching gig with the Atlanta Falcons, but it doesn't appear the two coaches overlapped at Midwestern.

I think its a great hire but I wouldn't try to connect the dots as he is DC in waiting. I just think Rhule is big into relationships but isn't afraid to hire someone like Tony White who he has no connection with. I know he left Buffalo because he wasnt promoted to the DC and he wants to be a DC but that doesn't mean he is the next DC here.

Butler has spent the past 10 seasons in the NFL with the Bills and Houston Texans. He coached the Bills' DBs for the past six seasons and the Texans' DBs before that, from 2014-2017.

Before his time with the Texans, the 51-year-old Butler was in the Big Ten coaching at Penn State. He held the role of DBs coach in 2012 and was the Nittany Lions' defensive coordinator/DBs coach under Bill O'Brien in 2013.

There's a connection between Nebraska's general manager, Sean Padden, and Butler. Both went to Catholic University, a Division III program in Washington, D.C. That's where Butler played and started his coaching career, and it's where Padden was a player as a well. Butler was the DBs coach in 1995 and the DC in 1996. Padden was the scout team player of the year in 1995.

Butler has Big Ten coaching experience outside of his time at Penn State as well. He was the special teams coach/linebackers coach at Minnesota from 2007-10. After his stint with the Golden Gophers, he went to South Carolina for the same role.

Butler also spent two seasons, 1999 and 2000, at Midwestern State, which is the same program current Husker quarterbacks coach Glenn Thomas coached for seven years (2001-2007) before landing a coaching gig with the Atlanta Falcons, but it doesn't appear the two coaches overlapped at Midwestern.
We beat his Penn st team 23-20 when he was DC

Ron Kellogg was our QB

They went 7-5 that year - a record the vast majority of posters here would consider a rousing success this season

The bills have consistently not gotten the stops they’ve needed in order to win when it matters most

I don’t know anything about this guy and neither does anyone else, so I have no opinion. I hope he’s good but I suspect he’s on the market for a reason.

The secondary was a big question mark prior to the coach leaving. Now even more so.
You have no opinion? Really? You post opinions on here all the time about posters you want to jab and spar with.

You’ve got an opinion, no doubt. But go ahead and wait to share your “opinion” after he has his first debacle as DB coach at Nebraska. That’s your style.

You have no opinion? Really? You post opinions on here all the time about posters you want to jab and spar with.

You’ve got an opinion, no doubt. But go ahead and wait to share your “opinion” after he has his first debacle as DB coach at Nebraska. That’s your style.
I know nothing about this guy.

I know plenty about posters here, yourself included.

thus, my posts.

A direct quote on his reasons for leaving the Bills

“People are probably wondering why a guy who’s had so much production and so many great things to say about the organization is leaving,” Butler said. “There doesn’t have to be a crazy story behind it. I just want to run a defense in the NFL or college football. I want that opportunity, and I don’t want to wait.”

So he left to “run a defense” and ends up going from a DB coach on a Super Bowl contender to a DB coach on a team who hasn’t sniffed a bowl game in 7 years.

Sounds like a guy who bet on himself and went broke.

“People are probably wondering why a guy who’s had so much production and so many great things to say about the organization is leaving,” Butler said. “There doesn’t have to be a crazy story behind it. I just want to run a defense in the NFL or college football. I want that opportunity, and I don’t want to wait.”

So he left to “run a defense” and ends up going from a DB coach on a Super Bowl contender to a DB coach on a team who hasn’t sniffed a bowl game in 7 years.

You sound like someone with mental issues

Bills aren't a contender as long as Mahomes is at the Chiefs 😉

8w3x07.gif

Philly native. Bill O' Brien must have been a big fan. Needs to hit the recruiting trail hard touting the NFL experience and connections.

I'm still a little confused on why he would come here. Seemed to be on an upward trajectory in Buffalo, even if the passing game coordinator was just a title.

Reactions: huskerj12
I would hope we could get a more proven DC when White leaves. Butler only has one year of DC experience, and it was over a decade ago.
Plus some of those games... yuck. Now I will grant you that it was during the worst of the scandal. His PPG allowed was 51st that year, 42nd in yards allowed. I am not certain what to make of that one year. But would rather find another 3-3-5 guy really, especially since we are recruiting for that now for several cycles.

Reactions: ssmill777
ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT