ADVERTISEMENT

Jano to play some at I-back

bomber89

Assistant Head Coach
Oct 12, 2004
Please tell me my friend is just an idiot or stupid. Can't be true???

I wonder if Janovich might be an alternative to Cross in short yardage or a change of pace to Newby.

Could he be effective lined up a bit deeper when the plan is to pound it between the tackles? Playing RB is so much about vision rather than pure speed. If he could get 4+ by picking the right hole, breaking a tackle, falling forward and holding onto the ball he might be an upgrade to Cross. Maybe a bit in the mold of Weismann at Iowa

.. I posted this a few days back .. hell he might be a bruiser

Actually i could see this. He gets up field instead of running down the LOS like we see too often.

He hasn't carried the ball much. I'm sure he'd be good, but he needs to hold onto the ball better than I've seen him do in his limited carries.

If true you gotta think Lansdorf looks at Jano and thinks how much he reminds him of Peyton Hillis. Peyton was the main back a few weeks last year for the Giants when Jennings was hurt and Williams was having fumble issues. And in case ya don't know, Hillis was mostly a fullback until he made it to the NFL. Janov kind of reminds me of Hillis too . Still needs to prove what he can do with the ball on a consistent basis but I'm for the giving it a shot, We need a back with toughness. I trust Danny and the staff on that side of the ball to get it done. I have no doubts about that side of the ball. The other side is a different story for a different thread.

Loved seeing Jano as I'm sure everyone else did. Even though it was Southern Miss, he showed that he can provide momentum. Still, horse before the wagon.

I'll respect this coaching staff when I see it change the offense to a 70% run attack vs. passing teams. Game clock draining drives will protect our porous d-backfield and keep us in B1G games.

What I expect is Langsford's ego will get in the way like every other loser OC and we're gonna see 40+ points put on us consistently. If they would've stuck to Janovich, Newby & TA running in the first drive of 2nd half with So. Miss, the INT wouldn't have happened and no comeback either.

I like the occasional FB draw, but giving him 5-10 carries per game and taking away from Newby et al doesn't seem like the answer.
Still not a big fan of playing Cross much.

I'll respect this coaching staff when I see it change the offense to a 70% run attack vs. passing teams. Game clock draining drives will protect our porous d-backfield and keep us in B1G games.

What I expect is Langsford's ego will get in the way like every other loser OC and we're gonna see 40+ points put on us consistently. If they would've stuck to Janovich, Newby & TA running in the first drive of 2nd half with So. Miss, the INT wouldn't have happened and no comeback either.
Good morning! Off to see the groundhog?

Nice recipe to get blown out and please post how many times Nebraska has given up 40 plus this year.

Reactions: arf_man

You are the first person I have seen really complain about the offense, and definitely the first to call our OC an egomaniac and a loser. How is this showing respect? Without the offense we don't win against southern Miss. And if only we would have run it 70% of the time against Miami in the fourth quarter... That would have gotten us right back in the game!

Reactions: arf_man
I could see them coming out with a two back set, shifting Newby to the slot and having Jano fall back to a single back position. Mostly just to see if you can confuse the defense, but also Jano might be better in pass pro, although Newby hasn't been bad. But's that's probably not worth swapping a better receiver with Newby.

I can see Tuco's plan working very well.

Get Newby out in space....pull a LB outside....then let Jano run inside.

They're rewarding production and Jano produced. I like the open mind of this staff.

So, if he doesn't get carries this weekend there will be a meltdown? They are calling for 25 mph winds.

You guys are crazy to think that Jano will all of sudden be the savior and the next best white RB.
Fact of the matter is we played against a mediocre football team that was just as shocked as most huskers fans to see Jano get the ball. It may work here and there but we will never see the numbers like last week.

Mike Riley loves him and recognizes the fact that he's got some special abilities. For one, he can actually run through an arm tackle. He says they will find more ways to work him in but I don't think he will be moving to IB and I don't think we'll see the trap play used frequently. It does give other teams something to think about and prepare for though. We have a lot of offensive weapons. He's a good one and they need to use him more for sure.

back_alley_john_1972_01_01.jpg

56075fc0e682b.image.jpg

Looks like we might have a "Little Diesel". John was 6'2" 230 and Andy is 6'1" 230.

You guys are crazy to think that Jano will all of sudden be the savior and the next best white RB.
Fact of the matter is we played against a mediocre football team that was just as shocked as most huskers fans to see Jano get the ball. It may work here and there but we will never see the numbers like last week.

I don't think he is the next "best white RB," whatever that means, but he did show some shiftiness in the open field. He kept his momentum going forward while shifting laterally to make guys miss. It wasn't just a surprise at that point. The shift I mentioned above would be a novelty that might be used to test some matchups, but wouldn't be run often. But hitting the fullback up the gut isn't some novelty play, so hopefully they keep that going. It could slow down, or punish, the lateral pursuit that bottles up Newby on the stretch plays - its basic function on the triple option. I don't see Jano becoming a feature back based on five carries, but getting him a few touches a game could help the run game overall, and Newby in particular. Unfortunately, our offense isn't really heavy into lining up over the center in two back sets, so I think his opportunities will be limited. Langs isn't going to change his offense around Janovich, and nor should he.

His versatility reminds me of Burkhead, who could play pretty much any position out there. Yeah, I just said that. I compared the only white RB we have with the last great white RB we had.

Classic selective memory to fit your agenda. Newby wasn't playing because of his ankle and Cross took his place. It was his fumble that really turned the momentum. A fumble that occurred on a running pay.

log off.

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT