ADVERTISEMENT

I've heard it all, "thug" is now a racist term

Status
Not open for further replies.
You are correct about government overreach. Conservatives and Libertarians should be shouting it down (as opposed to setting buildings on fire). However, the way you framed your post speaks volumes. You state "killing a man in police custody . . ." A man died while in police custody, there is no proof that he was killed (not yet). So, are we to assume that he was killed because of the color of the skin of the people involved? Some on here would suggest we do that, but doing so is, wait for it, prejudiced and racist.

I said it that way because it was ruled a homicide earlier today, aka "the deliberate and unlawful killing of one person by another"

The choice is not between "everything is about race" and "nothing is about race." What I'm saying is sometimes it's about race. And it's next to impossible for us as white guys to know what that's like because we don't get discriminated against. Once in a while somebody will call us "cracker" or "white boy" or whatever but we don't really care because we have that status as the dominant culture. It's like how you wouldn't get mad if somebody called you out for being good in bed. You're like, "Yep, that is accurate. I do not take offense."

So it's a lot of work for us to imagine what it's like to be in a position where people DO use your race against you in ways that really, actually make your life worse.

Of course it is sometimes about race, that is never going away. But check your prior post. You clearly have taken the position that it should be presumed to be about race, unless you can get the department of justice to spend hundreds of hours and tens of thousands of tax dollars to figure out that they can't prosecute (but even that isn't good enough for some, they just say that is was about race, there just wasn't enough evidence to prove it). To assume something was race-based is, as I said above, racist and prejudiced, but that doesn't matter because the target of the racist or prejudiced comment or attitude is a white guy. And to assume something was racially motivated has lead to death and destruction and mayhem . . . and for what? Because something COULD be about race? Stupid.

As a "white boy" you would be wrong to assume I don't take offense. It is certainly a derogatory comment. The question is, why wouldn't it bother you? Is it because of this wonderful white privilege that we should accept insults and stereotypes? I mean, you should see me at the house, I fill the bathtub up and literally walk on water because, well, I'm white. Is there a threshhold of sh!t that I am required to accept because of my whiteness? That I should be assumed to be a racist because I'm white? I will never understand what it is like to be an African American, but what does that mean? I should be okay with idiots and politicians and news screaming "RACIST!" when they have no idea of the facts of a case, other than the color of someone's skin? To prejudge and assume is only making things worse for the whole. Certain individuals certainly profit off of it, but it causes much bigger problems, as we have seen.

You have got some really twisted analogies.

Reactions: HuskerTimOmaha
I said it that way because it was ruled a homicide earlier today, aka "the deliberate and unlawful killing of one person by another"
No, there hasn't been a ruling. There has been a formal proceeding brought against them alleging that it was a homicide.

Unlawful arrest, killing a man in police custody, out of control government agency with a super powerful union putting up barriers to protect themselves from prosecution, this is the type of government overreach that should be shouted down by conservatives and personal rights advocates everywhere.

Thread Winner

No, there hasn't been a ruling. There has been a formal proceeding brought against them alleging that it was a homicide.

Second degree murder 'depraved heart' charged against the driver of the van? How they hell are they gonna prove that one? Did the driver take the van down a slalom course and repeatedly slam on the breaks?

While people are celebrating, they're gonna get a rude awakening when in six months, most of these charges are gonna get thrown out or, severely knocked-down.

Animosity towards the protesters is clouding reason. The coroner ruled the death of Freddie Gray a homicide. We're all still in agreement for seeking justice for murder victims....aren't we?

Second degree murder 'depraved heart' charged against the driver of the van? How they hell are they gonna prove that one? Did the driver take the van down a slalom course and repeatedly slam on the breaks?

While people are celebrating, they're gonna get a rude awakening when in six months, most of these charges are gonna get thrown out or, severely knocked-down.

Guy had his spine severed...he sure didnt do that on his own...now I have no clue what can and cant be proved in a court of law but the pure physics of this one leads one to think that he needed a little help here. In the end I dont think anyone will be celebrating a thing and odds are in 6 months we will be discussing a different police screw up

People aren't protesting and rioting because a white person killed a black person. They're protesting and rioting because those black people are killed and the killers seem to be completely immune from prosecution.

There is no way you actually believe the above. Prior to the Gray homicide, Baltimore has lost around 40 or so black people to homicide in four months of 2015. Click here if you don't believe me.

To say the protestors aren't doing it based on race is absolutely crazy.

Im done getting emotional over criminals dying. You live a life of crime you either end up dead or in jail. When I see these protest over innocent black people being killed by another by black person. Then I will care. Quit voting Democrat all the time as well, as they usually run these communities. Its pure stupidity to keep saying no one cares and you vote the same people in office, over and over. But blame whites or Republicans. No the people who live there are the problem.
If a black life matters, make sure you can take care of one before bringing it in this world.

It surprises me that the good cops won't throw these guys out. They desperately need a good relationship with the community to be more effective at their job, and covering up for dudes who are just out looking to bash some skulls undermines the efforts of all the cops out there doing it right.

That has happened a lot in my career, it just doesn't always hit the news. People need to stop assuming that all bad cops are protected. We have families too, and I've made it clear, as have most of my co-workers, that I will NOT sacrifice my job and my ability to take care of my family to protect someone who screwed up. People need to stop believing everything you hear when there are no facts to back it up.

I believe you are right. Six have been charged, but I'd bet that was done in an attempt to get some of them to possibly turn on each other.

I also think it is possible, but I can't say certain that the prosecutor knows this, but she is was pissed about the leaks about the coroner's report, so she is throwing the book at them all.

I'm not familiar with Maryland's laws, but I don't see charges sticking to all six of the officers.

There is no way you actually believe the above. Prior to the Gray homicide, Baltimore has lost around 40 or so black people to homicide in four months of 2015. Click here if you don't believe me.

To say the protestors aren't doing it based on race is absolutely crazy.
I may be naive about this but I honestly think they are protesting and rioting against an institution that seemingly can do what they want to whom they want without repercussions and the only color that matters is the uniform the officers are wearing

Balto needs Pembleton back in action.

cap050.bmp

Reactions: HuskerBlueDevil
I may be naive about this but I honestly think they are protesting and rioting against an institution that seemingly can do what they want to whom they want without repercussions and the only color that matters is the uniform the officers are wearing

I can understand that response although I don't necessarily agree with it. That is different than your original claim, but maybe I didn't catch what you were getting at?

Maybe I read wrong but isn't there a lot of "black leaders" in Baltimore? Included, but not limited to, is a Mayor (won 87% of the votes) and Commissioner of the BPD, both are very powerful positions within a city. Also, isn't the BPD majority of black officers? They are also a understaffed department, assuming that's based on crime rate data to officer ratio, not sure but I could dig into it if needed....

Here's where I got the data...

http://www.economist.com/blogs/democracyinamerica/2015/04/race-and-criminal-justice

Its population is 63% African American. Its mayor, Stephanie Rawlings-Blake, is a black Democrat who won 87% of the vote in 2011. Her police commissioner, Anthony Batts, is black, too, as are most of the city’s police. Baltimore, like Washington DC, Philadelphia and Detroit—and completely unlike suburbs such as Ferguson, Missouri—is a centre of black political control.

Yo I'm pretty sure that if I got into a car at Point A with another person, and by the time we arrived at Point B they were dead and had a crushed throat/spine, I would be charged with murder pretty damn fast.

It's also extremely funny to me that all of the sudden the Prosecutor having loose ties to someone involved in the case is a Major Breach of Interest and should be recused, simply because she isn't just acting as the police force's second defense attorney (cough Ferguson).

A classic for all yall thugz out there..........

PARENTAL ADVISORY!!!
EXPLICIT LYRICS!!!

Yeah nigga, drop the top on your mutha****in' ride
This how we do it on the West Coast baby

Rollin' down the Four O Five
Gettin' high
White boys done wrecked their shit
Tryin' to check my ride

I ain't being bootsy
Crusin' in a Six-o Impala
Drivin' like I'm in a Hooptee
Car full of ballin' caps

Keep yo hand on the strap
And take all the craps
Niggas know my steel-lo, all legit
But I'm drapped like a nigga movin' kilo

Shit don't stop
'Cuz I can make that ass drop
Make the front pop
And hit the three wheel motion

All day
Hit the freeway
Take it easy, uhh
Let's slide

And pick-up some hoochies
Ride right back to the movies
High talking back to the screen drinkin' liquor
Havin' big dreams of gettin' richer, I'm livin' that

Thug Life, y'all know the rules
gotta do wat ya gotta do, stay true

NAAAAME..........THAT TUNE!!!!

Yo I'm pretty sure that if I got into a car at Point A with another person, and by the time we arrived at Point B they were dead and had a crushed throat/spine, I would be charged with murder pretty damn fast.

It's also extremely funny to me that all of the sudden the Prosecutor having loose ties to someone involved in the case is a Major Breach of Interest and should be recused, simply because she isn't just acting as the police force's second defense attorney (cough Ferguson).
So it was the prosecutor that prevented a conviction, not the facts. Better let the DOJ know about that. DOJ stands for department of justice. You have a small brain.

So it was the prosecutor that prevented a conviction, not the facts. Better let the DOJ know about that. DOJ stands for department of justice. You have a small brain.

If you read the grand jury documents in the Ferguson matter, the ADA presenting the case most certainly acted as defense counsel, starting with giving the grand jurors as the potential charging law the wrong standard under which police officers can use deadly force. She gave them the standard that existed before the Supreme Court case of Tennessee v Garner, a standard that basically said police can shoot whenever they want. Garner narrowed that standard significantly. Every competent ADA knows Garner like the back of their hand. The fact that she apparently somehow forgot about Garner and instructed the grand jurors on a law declared unconstitutional is a basis to can her for incompetency right there. Then she never cross-examined police officers about serious discrepancies between their reports written the day of the shooting and their grand jury testimony. As just one example of literally dozens, the written reports of the investigating officers all said that there was glass outside Officer Wilson's car from the closed passenger side window that Wilson apparently fired through. In the grand jury hearing every investigating officer testified that their was no glass and the intact window was down. "Strangely" enough, the car was available to be looked at by the grand jurors, but that critical passenger side door had somehow disappeared. But despite that, the ADA did not confront the investigating officers about the gross discrepancy between their written reports and photos showing what appeared to be glass glittering on the pavement beneath the passenger side door, and their grand jury testimony. I have no idea whether Wilson should be charged. The fact that the DOJ found no basis to do so is telling, IMHO. But the grand jury was a whitewash, pure and simple. To argue otherwise is simply wrong.

Reactions: huskerj12
If you read the grand jury documents in the Ferguson matter, the ADA presenting the case most certainly acted as defense counsel, starting with giving the grand jurors as the potential charging law the wrong standard under which police officers can use deadly force. She gave them the standard that existed before the Supreme Court case of Tennessee v Garner, a standard that basically said police can shoot whenever they want. Garner narrowed that standard significantly. Every competent ADA knows Garner like the back of their hand. The fact that she apparently somehow forgot about Garner and instructed the grand jurors on a law declared unconstitutional is a basis to can her for incompetency right there. Then she never cross-examined police officers about serious discrepancies between their reports written the day of the shooting and their grand jury testimony. As just one example of literally dozens, the written reports of the investigating officers all said that there was glass outside Officer Wilson's car from the closed passenger side window that Wilson apparently fired through. In the grand jury hearing every investigating officer testified that their was no glass and the intact window was down. "Strangely" enough, the car was available to be looked at by the grand jurors, but that critical passenger side door had somehow disappeared. But despite that, the ADA did not confront the investigating officers about the gross discrepancy between their written reports and photos showing what appeared to be glass glittering on the pavement beneath the passenger side door, and their grand jury testimony. I have no idea whether Wilson should be charged. The fact that the DOJ found no basis to do so is telling, IMHO. But the grand jury was a whitewash, pure and simple. To argue otherwise is simply wrong.
You could have just typed "you're right" and saved yourself about 15 minutes.

You could have just typed "you're right" and saved yourself about 15 minutes.

I'm not sure how fast you type, but I doubt if that took me 4 minutes. But I appreciate your concern for my time expenditure. You want me to clear my next post with you?

Translation; I think, based on everything we can theorize and not prove, Wilson is the benefit of a bunch of professionals who work in different departments and rarely ever interact, collaborating to cover up an obvious crime because professionals who have great jobs do that all the time so they can be put in the position of losing them. Gotcha.

I'm not sure how fast you type, but I doubt if that took me 4 minutes. But I appreciate your concern for my time expenditure. You want me to clear my next post with you?
No, just trying to help you out. By the way, wasn't the DA a he, and not a she?

How about "Bad Guy" or "Naughty Person"?

The more I think about it, though, we don't really know if garden variety rioters are either bad or naughty deep down.

Maybe they're great people that like to burn things and loot.
Maybe they should spend more time getting an education and a job to while away all their free time and quit living off my tax dollars.

Translation; I think, based on everything we can theorize and not prove, Wilson is the benefit of a bunch of professionals who work in different departments and rarely ever interact, collaborating to cover up an obvious crime because professionals who have great jobs do that all the time so they can be put in the position of losing them. Gotcha.

It's unfortunate, it does harm to cops what a farce the Ferguson process was. It's a known fact that there was bad testimony, that is publicly stated by the county prosecuting attorney. I don't understand why people think that it helps cops to hold a sloppy grand jury investigation for one cop who shot a guy. That further undermines trust and stokes anti-police sentiment. Cops need to be trusted and respected, and when civilians believe cops who break protocol are not really subject to the rules, it makes them fearful, distrusting, and disrespectful of the police. Then more cops get attacked and hurt.

Does that make it right to do? No. But we know very well that what's right and what happens are rarely the same thing. We have a fairly established track record now on what kinds of events result in riots. Don't want your cops facing rioters? Me either. So hold them publicly accountable for their actions.

The simplest explanation is that it was just a lazy and incompetent investigation. There's a vast array of things about that process that suggest it was slipshod work at best and a fix job at worst.

Again, it's weird to me that people will buy corruption everywhere else, but not here. You have no trouble believing the mafia pays and/or intimidates kids who play college basketball to shave points so they can hustle bets on games.

Everyone everywhere knows how corrupt politics is. You'll believe a congressman, a senator is corrupt, that's a given. We're more surprised if they're NOT corrupt.

But a prosecutor or a cop can't be? Are you willfully in denial about that, or just old-fashioned stupid? ANY demographic that is made of people is going to have some corruption in it. Why is it a bridge too far that anyone would try to assure a certain outcome in a grand jury process?

Why do you see and accept what happened in the 50s and 60s but you think nobody would think or act like that today but just be less open about it?

In regards to Ferguson, I trust you've heard of "witness 40" by now? The woman who wasn't even there, is admittedly bipolar and was there to learn to "stop calling Blacks N—— and Start calling them People"? That's a direct quote from her, I didn't make that up. They allowed her testimony right alongside everyone else.

The prosecutor admitted allowing people to testify whose stories didn't add up. Here's a direct quote from him on why those people won't be punished for lying under oath: “But in the situation — again, because of the manner in which we did it — we’re not going to file perjury charges against anyone. There were people who came in and yes, absolutely lied under oath. Some lied to the FBI — even though they’re not under oath, that’s another potential offense, a federal offense.”

http://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...-not-telling-the-truth-they-testified-anyway/

Reactions: huskerj12
Maybe they should spend more time getting an education and a job to while away all their free time and quit living off my tax dollars.

I thought that the $1.8 Billion dollars given to Baltimore from the ARRA (stimulus package) was supposed to help with education, job creation, job training centers, working with at-risk youth, etc... One zip code in Baltimore received over $800M and yet could only create 290 jobs. Figured they could do better than that w/ that type of money.

http://freebeacon.com/issues/baltimore-received-1-8-billion-from-obamas-stimulus-law/

http://www.washingtonpost.com/local...67ab06-f034-11e4-a55f-38924fca94f9_story.html

Status
Not open for further replies.
ADVERTISEMENT