ADVERTISEMENT

It has been a long week....some thoughts about today.

PAOK

Walk On
Dec 10, 2008
1. I think Riley gets one more year, probably two, unless he only wins 2 or 3 games total this year. The University is on the hook for a TON of money for Bo and SE. Add Riley to that and the assistant coaches (they might be one year contracts, not sure) and THEN try to lure a top name coach and staff just doesn't make any sort of financial sense.

2. I can't believe that I am worried about a game with Rutgers. There is a non-zero chance of losing this game. RUTGERS at home. RUTGERS. They have a good D-line and we are in trouble on the OL. It is unbelievable if you think that I remember years ago we won games with Monte Christo and Matt Turman at QB. The rest of our team was that good. We bounced KSU in Kansas with a 3rd stringer. I am more worried about this game than I was about that one. I do not have a good feeling about today and it is made worse by point 3.

3. We need Bryant. Wilbon looked so average last week and he looked lost on a few of the plays where N.ILL brought pressure and he was either supposed to block or become an outlet pass. He stumbled around on a few plays I remember. Again, Rutgers has a good D-line and this spells trouble.

4. Recruiting had fallen off a cliff before the SE firing. Any momentum we had was dead at the halftime of the Ducks game. Now with the turmoil I bet that we take some nut shots in recruiting before signing day. Not sure how we can recover this situation outside of winning some damn ball games.

5. The best thing any of us can do is just sit back and realize that this is going to be a long, long haul for us to get back to being a good team......I said good team.....not dominant. We might never get back to dominant if we stay on our current reset loop every few years. The first step is to get to being competitive. That should be the goal. One step at a time.

Do you consider Oklahoma good or dominant? I think Nebraska very much can get to the level Oklahoma has been at for the past 7 years. There is little special about Norman, OK that Lincoln, NE cannot also provide (and more.)

I know when people hear about owing fired coaches "millions" it seems like an insane amount of money, but to the Athletic Department, it simply isn't. Quit worrying about payoffs to coaches and Athletic Directors. It is simply not meaningful and doesn't impact what the team can pay replacements.

Reactions: huskerfan1414
Any kind of win will be YUGE. We are a team with a bunch of inexperience, injuries, and not many (if any) really vocal team leaders. Going to the game...expecting a close one, and hoping for a W. The "We're Nebraska, and we should roll Rutgers!" sentiment just doesn't apply, under the circumstances.

There's a game today? What time does the volleyball match start?

Coaching does matter a little bit. Winking

Last edited:
Reactions: huskerfan1414
I know when people hear about owing fired coaches "millions" it seems like an insane amount of money, but to the Athletic Department, it simply isn't. Quit worrying about payoffs to coaches and Athletic Directors. It is simply not meaningful and doesn't impact what the team can pay replacements.

I was just saying that the payouts COUPLED with trying to pay a quality new coaching staff (will take some big $$$) would be financial numbers that the athletic department has never dealt with before.

I'm not worried about the $$$ component, we're not winning championships with this staff and the wheels are in motion to fix the program.

Reactions: CaptainChapman
Riley must win at 6 or 7 games to keep his job. If we lose today it will seal his fate. This game is huge but maybe today things start turning around. I wish coach would call the plays and take control of the offensive line.

Do you consider Oklahoma good or dominant? I think Nebraska very much can get to the level Oklahoma has been at for the past 7 years. There is little special about Norman, OK that Lincoln, NE cannot also provide (and more.)

They are close to Dallas and with UT and A&M rotting they have pretty easy Texas recruiting

They are close to Dallas and with UT and A&M rotting they have pretty easy Texas recruiting
Lincoln pretty close to Kansas City and St Louis and Kansas and Missouri are rotting.

No one is going to convince me Nebraska can't compete again.

Reactions: yunginsNU2
The University is on the hook for a TON of money for Bo and SE. Add Riley to that and the assistant coaches (they might be one year contracts, not sure) and THEN try to lure a top name coach and staff just doesn't make any sort of financial sense.

Eichorst just donated $5 million in scholarships from the athletic department to nonathletes. We came in $8 million over budget in 2015-16, and that was before we received a full share of Big Ten money. We could be looking at an extra $20 million/year from the Big Ten now.

In other words, money is not an issue at all.

Reactions: chicolby
ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT