ADVERTISEMENT

Isaiah Newcombe

Well his dad and former Husker Bobby Newcombe was a big time recruit for us. I believe would have been a Husker legend at QB, but I digress.

He's also the Head Coach at Casteel High in the Phoenix area. Was State Champs 3 years ago. I'm sure they have talent coming out of there and I can't think of a better IN than a former Husker being the coach.....

Well his dad and former Husker Bobby Newcombe was a big time recruit for us. I believe would have been a Husker legend at QB, but I digress.

He's also the Head Coach at Casteel High in the Phoenix area. Was State Champs 3 years ago. I'm sure they have talent coming out of there and I can't think of a better IN than a former Husker being the coach.....

Bobby was not a very good qb... but please tell us how he was better than Crouch.

Wasnt that the game where Crouch was a complete gamechanger at WR, QB, and a little RB or WB or whatever iirc?

I often wonder what we would have looked like offensively with Newcombe remaining at QB and Crouch the swiss army knife scoring from ALL positions.

Well we can cross off football coach from your future endeavors.

Reactions: John_J_Rambo
Wasnt that the game where Crouch was a complete gamechanger at WR, QB, and a little RB or WB or whatever iirc?

I often wonder what we would have looked like offensively with Newcombe remaining at QB and Crouch the swiss army knife scoring from ALL positions.

No that was the Cal game a week later. Threw for a TD to Winstrom and ran for a TD..he ran caught and threw TD first one time since Johnny the Jet..

Last edited:
Funny, I don't see us having two Heisman trophy QBs at the same time. Just one.

Thank You!.. not saying Bobby Newcombe wasn't an All-American type talent at receiver or could have been at QB as well.. but Crouch won a Heisman Trophy. It's pretty tough to argue that a guy was flat out better than a Heisman Trophy winner. I'm sure Coach Frost would be more than willing to take a player of either of their caliber today.

Reactions: CatColumbia
Thank You!.. not saying Bobby Newcombe wasn't an All-American type talent at receiver or could have been at QB as well.. but Crouch won a Heisman Trophy. It's pretty tough to argue that a guy was flat out better than a Heisman Trophy winner. I'm sure Coach Frost would be more than willing to take a player of either of their caliber today.
The only reason crouch won the Heisman trophy is because frank ran him in the ground highlighting him. His last 2 games were evident of that. Again it’s jmo

The only reason crouch won the Heisman trophy is because frank ran him in the ground highlighting him. His last 2 games were evident of that. Again it’s jmo

Nah. The only reason Eric won is because he was the best player in the game that year. You ride the talent you have as far as it will take you.

Frank failed by not maintaining Tom's momentum with recruiting and talent development.

It's Eric's fault for masking Frank's failure. Winking

Last edited:
wait, didn't Newcombe win the starting job? then Crouch threatened to quit the team, and then Frank made Crouch the starter? I thought it was something like that...

wait, didn't Newcombe win the starting job? then Crouch threatened to quit the team, and then Frank made Crouch the starter? I thought it was something like that...
Not exactly. As I remember it, Frank did talk Crouch into coming back but Newcombe remained the starter for the first couple of games. I absolutely loved Newcombe, but he struggled at QB after that knee injury, and Crouch was delivering better results.

Not exactly. As I remember it, Frank did talk Crouch into coming back but Newcombe remained the starter for the first couple of games. I absolutely loved Newcombe, but he struggled at QB after that knee injury, and Crouch was delivering better results.
I agree

The knee injury took away Nukes explosion. He was never the same after that. Even as a WR he was never that 1997 Nuke ever again.

I honestly think if TO was there in 1998 he wouldve used Nuke and Crouch for that matter differenty. I think Nuke couldve been that pass first run second guy who was super explosive when he did get his number called. Imo Nuke and Crouch after Nuke for hurt were hamstrung by Solichs not so versatile offense.

It won Crouch a heisman but imo it would NOT have won Nuke one. He couldn't run the option as well as Crouch could. I do however think he was a better passer early on than Crouch was.

Then jammal Lord became that RB playing QB like Solich made Crouch. Frankie wasnt a good OC at all.

Holla

The knee injury took away Nukes explosion. He was never the same after that. Even as a WR he was never that 1997 Nuke ever again.

I honestly think if TO was there in 1998 he wouldve used Nuke and Crouch for that matter differenty. I think Nuke couldve been that pass first run second guy who was super explosive when he did get his number called. Imo Nuke and Crouch after Nuke for hurt were hamstrung by Solichs not so versatile offense.

It won Crouch a heisman but imo it would NOT have won Nuke one. He couldn't run the option as well as Crouch could. I do however think he was a better passer early on than Crouch was.

Then jammal Lord became that RB playing QB like Solich made Crouch. Frankie wasnt a good OC at all.

Holla
I still shake my head when I think about an answer Crouch gave somebody a few years ago. Somebody was asking him about all of the QB draws that Frank called. Crouch said, "most of them weren't called plays. I would get to the line of scrimmage and see what the defense was in and just say F###. This play won't work and we don't have a good audible out of this either. So I would just get the snap and take off (and run)."

I still shake my head when I think about an answer Crouch gave somebody a few years ago. Somebody was asking him about all of the QB draws that Frank called. Crouch said, "most of them weren't called plays. I would get to the line of scrimmage and see what the defense was in and just say F###. This play won't work and we don't have a good audible out of this either. So I would just get the snap and take off (and run)."
He was probably improvising his way out of some of those play-action passes Frank used to call on 3rd and 12. You know, where absolutely nobody pays the slightest bit of attention to the fake and just goes full-tilt for the QB. It's amazing Crouch could make it up on stage to receive that trophy.

ADVERTISEMENT
ADVERTISEMENT