ADVERTISEMENT

Is Nebraska the most over hyped program?

Every year we hear of this team or that team is always hyped up preseason and every year they under perform. So I dug into it to find out. Nothing to scientific. I simply took the the preseason AP ranking and compared it to the final AP rankings. If a team started or ended un ranked I assigned a 30 just for simplicity.
So essentially how many spots different the AP preseason was from the AP final rankings. So if pre season team A was ranked 3rd, and final ranking they were 20th that would be a - 17 difference or under performing. A 0 indicates right on or even comparing pre to final. A positive mean over performed.
What stuck out to me that when comparing preseason to final ranking over the course of 10 years it ends up being very very accurate.

10 year average from over performing/ under hyped to under performing/ over hyped

Baylor 3.8
Northwester 3.4
Missouri 3.2
Utah 2.7
Miss St 2.4
Clemson 2.4
Okla St 2.4
MN 2
Kentucky 1.8
K St 1.7
Colorado 1.3
Vanderbilt 1.3
Penn St .9
Syracuse .7
Maryland. 7
Duke .7
AZ .3
Virginia 0
Pitt 0
Boston College 0
Rutgers 0
Purdue 0
Mich St 0
Indiana 0
Illinois 0
Texas Tech 0
Kansas 0
Cal 0
Stanford 0
AZ st -.1
Iowa -.3
Louisville -.4
Notre Dame -.4
TCU -.4
LSU -.6
Wisc - .6
Georgia Tech -.6
Wake Forest -.7
Wash St -.7
South Car -.7
Ohio St -.8
Iowa St -.9
Texas AM -1
Oregon St -1.1
Ole Miss -1.1
Oregon -1.3
North Car -1.3
FL -1.4
West Virg -1.6
Arkansas -1.7
Alabama -2.1
Washington -2.2
Tennessee -2.2
Oklahoma -2.5
Miami -2.4
V Tech -2.7
UCLA -2.9
Mich -3
Texas -5.2
Georgia -5.3
USC -5.4
FL St -5.7
Neb -6

I would say we're overhyped. I think the national media just wants us to be good. We're a feel-good program. A program that is legit, and doesn't violate the NCAA rules. We've sucked for years, however.

Think about it. We represent the smallest population in the B1G.

I would say we're overhyped. I think the national media just wants us to be good. We're a feel-good program. A program that is legit, and doesn't violate the NCAA rules. We've sucked for years, however.

Think about it. We represent the smallest population in the B1G.
We may be overhyped in ink and in some writers minds, but a FPI ranking is neutral,unless the make puters with hype?
Maybe AI?

This is honestly not a troll or a dig, although I fully admit it will sound like one.
Many say on this board that you are a "blue blood" program, can you explain why you think you are one? Yes I know you won multiple national championships (last in 1997 if I recall correct). But really what has happened since? I cannot speak for other Iowa fans, but I know we at Iowa are not a blue blood program. We are a pretty consistent 8-9 win program and are (for the most part) VERY happy with the kids Ferentz brings into the program and turns them into good solid football players. We don't get the 5 stars, rarely get the 4 stars, but we can pretty much compete with anyone who doesn't have Christian McCaffrey as a running back. Again, I enjoy college football and the smack talk between our programs, but honestly I do not see Nebraska as a blue blood anymore

Like it or not, we don't say it, we just repeat what they print. Sure, we've gone through a span of being less than we were but who we were and what we accomplished for college football is well documented. Those great teams at the top of the list made college football what it is today and you can't wipe that out. Iowa fans seem to think their roll in college football is to determine when football relevancy begins and ends and resetting the clock all the time makes your push to be great more obtainable. No matter how hard you try, you can't wipe our history off the map, nor will it help you to look better.

Feast your eyes!

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...rojans-lead-list-college-football-blue-bloods

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...gly-never-play-each-other-on-the-field#slide0

https://www.si.com/college/2019/08/12/best-programs-college-football-history

https://thespun.com/independents/no...lege-footballs-8-blue-blood-programs/10?amp=1

Like it or not, we don't say it, we just repeat what they print. Sure, we've gone through a span of being less than we were but who we were and what we accomplished for college football is well documented. Those great teams at the top of the list made college football what it is today and you can't wipe that out. Iowa fans seem to think their roll in college football is to determine when football relevancy begins and ends and resetting the clock all the time makes your push to be great more obtainable. No matter how hard you try, you can't wipe our history off the map, nor will it help you to look better.

Feast your eyes!

https://www.espn.com/college-footba...rojans-lead-list-college-football-blue-bloods

https://bleacherreport.com/articles...gly-never-play-each-other-on-the-field#slide0

https://www.si.com/college/2019/08/12/best-programs-college-football-history

https://thespun.com/independents/no...lege-footballs-8-blue-blood-programs/10?amp=1
As I say over and over to Iowa fans or any other that want us desperately bad to no longer be a Blue Blood. Blue Blood is not something you can earn over 1, 5, 10, 20 year span. We aren't a Blue Blood because of what we did in the 90s. We are Blue Blood because of we we did in the decades leading up to the 90s Even much of the 2000s and 2010s haven't been horrible. Take away these last 3 horrific years and we have a .660 win % since 2000 Which would put us in the top 25 winningest programs since 2000. Many others fan bases have this assumption that Nebraska has been basement level since we won our last NC. It reality we were so dominant from the 60s- 90s that this last 20 year stretch just seemed horrible for our high standard.
Since it is something that takes decades and decades to earn. It takes equally as long to lose it. If in another 20 years Nebraska is still struggling, then yes we can be in discussion to be taken off the list. Until then, like it or not we are a Blue Blood for awhile yet.

Reactions: scarletred
I don't know if you can consider a preseason 20 something ranking overhyped. Even if they fall out of it.

Who remembers the 20th ranked team last year...the year before? Before that?

I ask, can you really consider a team preseason ranked 20 something that drops out overhyped in that its some sort of gross favoritism. I would say no. Its a big bowl of never was important from prognostication to final tally.

Reactions: oldjar07
To be honest, we are not over-hyped as a program. Other than the fan-base, no one really cares. Prove it on the field and we might become relevant again. We have not, so we are not. A sad fact, but it is what it is.

Yes. UCLA, Colorado, Syracuse, VaTech and Florida State are down, but we have the crystal and we pretty much suck.

I’ve finally come to the realization we just aren’t good and have stopped buying in on all the pre- season BS year after year. We talk a good game but it doesn’t translate to the field. All the hype needs to stop until we actually start winning otherwise we just look dumb with all this talk.

We have a very outside chance of correcting this, but if it happens, only this year, as they'll likely overhype us for 2021.
Just going by FPI, on memory, we only have three sure losses,with iowa a slight favorite, and us against minny, mostly due to home field advantage. Wiscy,osu and psu are projected losses.
At 9-3, if we do beat the iwegians, that likely could have us in the top 25.

Thats their numbers, plus winning a close one to favored iowa at their house too.
So 8-4 at the best? We aren’t beating Iowa anytime soon.

I would argue Notre Dame has played in more Big Games in the last 15 years, lost every one of them, but we havent' even been there. Just don't piss off the Sunshine Pumping gallery around here.
They lose most of the big games.... they beat Oklahoma in 2012 and were Michigan States lone loss in 2013..... but yes they tend to completely flop in big games or find a way to lose close ones when they should win.(Clemson, FSU, Georgia)

ADVERTISEMENT

Latest posts

ADVERTISEMENT